ADVERTISEMENT

GOP doesn’t want you to know where political ads come from

There should be “truth in (political) advertising”....

I agree we should know who is running the ads, but truth in political advertising? Since when? All candidates distort the truth when they put out an ad attacking their opponent.

I'm sending off emails today to Chuck and Joni to find out why the Senate blocked it. I expect no response or lies.

I think this is a good thing but don't we sort of already have that. Every political ad these days seem to end with the name of the group paying for the ad.

Not unless this bill will require said groups to be more open about the sources of their money.

Reactions: Jan Itor
I agree we should know who is running the ads, but truth in political advertising? Since when? All candidates distort the truth when they put out an ad attacking their opponent.

I'm sending off emails today to Chuck and Joni to find out why the Senate blocked it. I expect no response or lies.
Joni did it to make 'em squeal.

Agreed a law saying that candidates have to tell the truth wouldn't be very effective because candidates are very adept at telling partial truths.

My favorite is "so and so voted against pay raises for our troops" or something like that.

Reality that person voted against a bill that gave the troops a penny a month raise but also had like 300 billion dollars for the other party's pet political project.

Steve Bullock, Montana Governor, got a law passed in his state where political ads have to say who paid for them at a certain point before an election - I can't remember if it was 30, 60, or 90 days. Bullock said he will be getting slammed by attack ads, and then at that date, the ads stop. The people paying for them don't want the public to know where they are coming from. We should do that nationally.

Steve Bullock, Montana Governor, got a law passed in his state where political ads have to say who paid for them at a certain point before an election - I can't remember if it was 30, 60, or 90 days. Bullock said he will be getting slammed by attack ads, and then at that date, the ads stop. The people paying for them don't want the public to know where they are coming from. We should do that nationally.

We already require that nationally, at an organization level.

Isn't that the law nationally or maybe is it just my state?

Every political ad I have seen in the last at least 5 years ends with something like "Americans for fiscal responsibility" paid for this ad. Unless it's a candidate's ad and they say "I'm so and so and I approved this message at some point in the ad.

I think this is a good thing but don't we sort of already have that. Every political ad these days seem to end with the name of the group paying for the ad.

Not unless this bill will require said groups to be more open about the sources of their money.

Did the Honest Ads Act include Social Media?

BTW, just sent off emails to Chuck & Joni to ask why Senate Republicans blocked it. Like that's going to do any good.

Isn't that the law nationally or maybe is it just my state?

Every political ad I have seen in the last at least 5 years ends with something like "Americans for fiscal responsibility" paid for this ad. Unless it's a candidate's ad and they say "I'm so and so and I approved this message at some point in the ad.
They were making a big deal about it on Draining the Swamp a couple of months ago.

Reactions: blackbones
Agreed a law saying that candidates have to tell the truth wouldn't be very effective because candidates are very adept at telling partial truths.

My favorite is "so and so voted against pay raises for our troops" or something like that.

Reality that person voted against a bill that gave the troops a penny a month raise but also had like 300 billion dollars for the other party's pet political project.

This happens more times than not.

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
Joni did it to make 'em squeal.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Tom Paris
Does Klobuchar want us to know that some dark money group paid for an ad or does she want us to know who funded the dark money group? Knowing that Iowans for Government Accountability (I made that up) paid for an ad doesnt do a lot of good if we can't figure out who was funding that group.

Stupid. . . 1 platform stopped running ads because they where not sure they could meet the requirements. That's hardly chilling on political speech.

Also another article from Heritage calling ranked choice voting "overly complicated" and "allows candidates with marginal support to win elections" shows me just how intelligent they are.

I think it is intended for online ads to have the same requirements as TV ads.

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
Does Klobuchar want us to know that some dark money group paid for an ad or does she want us to know who funded the dark money group? Knowing that Iowans for Government Accountability (I made that up) paid for an ad doesnt do a lot of good if we can't figure out who was funding that group.
That can of itself allow you to research that organization though.

That can of itself allow you to research that organization though.

Yes, but often an organization is just setup to bash a specific issue. Its basically impossible to figure out who is behind the group. It's no more than a PO Box.

And she wants everyone running an ad to try to figure that out.

And she wants everyone running an ad to try to figure that out.

Why shouldn’t someone selling advertising be required to do some basic due diligence? There are many other industries that require this type of due diligence prior to entering into a contract.

Reactions: blackbones
seriously, who cares where they come from

I do, and you should too. I don't understand why you think it is acceptable for foreign nationals to influence our elections. You all are all soooooo concerned about illegal aliens voting in elections, but this? It's crickets. None of this should be in the dark, all funding should be in the spotlight. The only reason to keep it secret is to avoid holding people accountable. Nothing good comes from that.

It doesn't, but it's unlikely what you are looking for would ever make it through as a law. However, if political ads require identification of where it came from, then that might key some people into investigating who the Iowans for Government Accountability are. If there are questions, then that people can start raising a stink about it.

Of course, the funding for Iowans for Government Accountability should also be public, but it's not.

Why shouldn’t someone selling advertising be required to do some basic due diligence? There are many other industries that require this type of due diligence prior to entering into a contract.

Really? It's advertising.

But I'll play. Please provide some examples to support your claim.

Really? It's advertising.

But I'll play. Please provide some examples to support your claim.

Sure. Banking, insurance/financial services, legal and real estate. Oh basically every function of a business requires it. Even the low level HR reps like Trad have to use it when hiring people for their call center.

Sure. Banking, insurance/financial services, legal and real estate. Oh basically every function of a business requires it. Even the low level HR reps like Trad have to use it when hiring people for their call center.

Um, no. That's not the level we are looking for.

If I go to the bank to open a corporate account, which is a one time thing, they ask me what kind of business I'm in to make sure it's legal. They don't ask me for information on every source of income, or every investor. Same with the other examples. In fact, many real estate investors create shell corporations to keep their true identity private.

These examples are not at all similar in nature or frequency to buying a political ad. Political ads are already required to say the organization that paid for it. If people want more information, let them find out for themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT