ADVERTISEMENT

GOP has major problems after last night's Arizona election

Huey Grey

HR King
Jan 15, 2013
AZ-8 is a heavily Republican district with no Democratic roots (unlike PA-18), the GOP ran a good candidate with no scandals and who was a good fundraiser (also unlike PA-18), Trump won this district by 21 and Romney won it by 25, and the GOP saw great turnout last night. Yet, the Republican only won by 5 points. I think that the Republicans should be very concerned in November. If they can barely hang onto the most conservative of districts, even while running good candidates, their fortunes for the midterms look bleak.

What do you suggest they do?

I think the only chance they have is put up someone against Trump who has a squeaky clean past. Of course that will only split the vote and give 2020 to the Dems, but it might be their only hope or at least give the impression that the GOP isn't complicit with Trump and his cronies.

I think the only chance they have is put up someone against Trump who has a squeaky clean past. Of course that will only split the vote and give 2020 to the Dems, but it might be their only hope or at least give the impression that the GOP isn't complicit with Trump and his cronies.
I think their only chance is to impeach and remove Trump. Because it's clear that as long as he's in charge, all the Dems and all the Indies will come out in force to vote out anyone who supports him. Of course, they're screwed there, too. Remove their own party president and that's all but an admission that they have no idea how to govern.

What do you suggest they do?
Try and create separation between Congressional candidates and Dear Leader Trump. It's tricky, but that is their best bet. They can't risk alienating the Kool Aid drinkers, but the remaining independents, energized minority voters who don't always turn out to vote, and women voters are primed to crush the Republicans this Fall.
If Mitch McConnell had a brain he'd have tried to wrestle DACA away from Trump. Then find a few thoughtful Republicans from Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, Texas, and western states with rising Latino populations to cobble together something workable. Then dare Trump to reject a big signing ceremony where he gets to look great on TV and not sign it.

Reactions: BelemNole
The bottom line is they won. Maybe they only put in enough $$ to win and not dominate, IDK. I still think Democrats are not learning enough from their previous overconfidence to flip either house this Fall. We'll see how the Summer goes.

We appreciate all the sincere concern on display here....
It's not a concern on my part. I'm absolutely giddy about our prospects in November. Trump is probably the best fundraising issue the Dems have had in a generation.

Sounds like the OP is wishing and hoping.

Dems are cleaning up this year. It will be a very Merry Christmas, indeed, all thanks to this jolly fat soul.

1*7tQNF9dXLkYDZoSfKYMkJA@2x.png

It's not a concern on my part. I'm absolutely giddy about our prospects in November. Trump is probably the best fundraising issue the Dems have had in a generation.

Your probably right, that's exactly how most Republicans viewed Hillary....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT