ADVERTISEMENT

Got my colonoscopy scheduled

Reviving this since I have my first ever coming up and was just given something called SuTab for the prep vs liquid. There are 12 pills to take with sips of water starting at 5pm the night before. You need to take all 12 pills and finish the 16 oz of water within 20-30 minutes and then drink another 16 oz of water 1 hour later. Then, 5 hours prior to the procedure you repeat the process.

This sounds far more pleasant than choking down a large amount of a nasty drink mixed with Gatorade, but does anyone out there have experience using this? Thoughts?
I've been at bedside for a hundred of these. Never heard of those pills but my advice is follow the directions to the letter. You do not want to be the guy that has to repeat the process because you didn't get cleaned out good enough. It happens, and people are not happy.

Reactions: B1GDeal
Reviving this since I have my first ever coming up and was just given something called SuTab for the prep vs liquid. There are 12 pills to take with sips of water starting at 5pm the night before. You need to take all 12 pills and finish the 16 oz of water within 20-30 minutes and then drink another 16 oz of water 1 hour later. Then, 5 hours prior to the procedure you repeat the process.

This sounds far more pleasant than choking down a large amount of a nasty drink mixed with Gatorade, but does anyone out there have experience using this? Thoughts?
I took the pills last month. This was my first colonoscopy, but from what I hear it's better than trying to drink all that liquid. I heard the pills are expensive, but my insurance covered the whole cost. I just followed the directions and had no issues. No shit cramps associated with it. I found the whole process to be pretty easy and nothing to worry about.

Versed + fentanyl. You won't remember anything.
Versed is terrifying if you used to blackout regularly from drinking. Like "Oh god what did I say to the doctor when I was blacked out while being probed. Will my insurance keep me. Am I fired from my job." Black much of it out. But I'm reminded of something someone told me after a meeting once. "Fentanyl has no legs." I have to say he was right.

Anyone ever go to this guy?

You should man up and do it like my pops did, no anesthesia. After which he said, “I’ll never do that again.”

You should man up and do it like my pops did, no anesthesia. After which he said, “I’ll never do that again.”
My wife was a nurse at an asc, and one day some earthy crunchy woman came in insisting that she have her colonoscopy “naturally” (ie without anesthesia). They unsuccessfully tried to talk her out of it. She lasted about 45 seconds.

Reactions: SI_NYC
I was going to do the Cologuard but then read that if something was identified you had to do the real thing and it may not be covered. So I threw out the box and will have to schedule the main event. Not looking forward to it at all.
That’s no longer the case. Cologuard definitely the way to go imo.

I was thinking of going this route, but read false positives and negatives results aren’t that uncommon so then you have to do the real thing anyways. I didn’t think the actual colonoscopy was a big deal.

Reactions: BEAVERDALEHAWK
Why not Cologuard?

I was going to do the Cologuard but then read that if something was identified you had to do the real thing and it may not be covered. So I threw out the box and will have to schedule the main event. Not looking forward to it at all.

Two risks with ColoGuard and one consideration:

#1: It is not NEARLY as accurate as colonoscopy for finding polyps; if you're one of the unlucky blokes, you'll have colon cancer growing in you before your next 10 year test

#2: IF ColoGuard detects something, you must have a colonoscopy on follow-up, which is no longer a "preventive" procedure (preventive = 100% insurance covered BEFORE deductible); it becomes an interventional procedure, which means you'll pay out your deductible before insurance kicks in

When you have a routine colonoscopy (preventive), removing any polyps is INCLUDED as part of the procedure, and is not an "upcharge"; 100% insurer covered

#3: SOME insurers do not contract with the labs that can test the ColoGuard assay, which means under them, it's NOT covered and you'll pay the $500-600 out of pocket

Reactions: Hawkman98
Anyone ever go to this guy?

No big deal anymore. You don't have to drink that gallon of shit-your-brains-out anymore. At least I didn't. Easy peesy.

No big deal anymore. You don't have to drink that gallon of shit-your-brains-out anymore. At least I didn't. Easy peesy.
I'm 32 years old. I had my first colonoscopy when I was 30 because of diverticulitis before this change. Son of a bitch. 8 should have never known this.

Ah, prep…I really do think this Harry Potter scene was conceived with it in mind.

I took the pills last month. This was my first colonoscopy, but from what I hear it's better than trying to drink all that liquid. I heard the pills are expensive, but my insurance covered the whole cost. I just followed the directions and had no issues. No shit cramps associated with it. I found the whole process to be pretty easy and nothing to worry about.
About to start them. How long does it take to kick in? Does this go all night? Second round is 5 hours before I am to arrive in the morning. Will I still be trying to crap or does the effect stop after 3-4 hours?

colonoscopy-captain-kirk-and-spock.gif

Reactions: pepsicock
About to start them. How long does it take to kick in? Does this go all night? Second round is 5 hours before I am to arrive in the morning. Will I still be trying to crap or does the effect stop after 3-4 hours?
It took me a while before they kicked in. Yes it does go all night and doesn't stop. I even had to go at the doctors office before my appointment. However, when you have to go it's mostly all water and you're done in 10 seconds. I never had to spend a long time on the toilet.

I’ve been shooting hot water out the past 30 minutes. This sucks!

All done boys. Used Sutab pills and water vs go lightly and Gatorade. It was simple, even got in about 5 hrs of sleep before waking up at 3am to do second dose. Never felt hungry or sick, but the on and off diarrhea wasn’t fun for the few hours after each dose. Best part is all was clear so won’t need another for 10 years. Time to eat!

Reactions: Hawkman98
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT