ADVERTISEMENT

Grassley v. Franken on PBS....

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
Chuck has declared himself a "free-flow-er".....
and Now he is getting mad because he doesn't feel he has enough time to explain himself,,,,,,,
Pretty good political discussion so far.....
Now Chuck has just pledged to save Social Security....at all costs! but he doesn't want to do it raised the ceiling on earnings (a tax increase)....but he does hint at raising the age of eligibility (restricting access/eligibility)....

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69 and MitchLL
I was hoping that Chuck would stumble and their would be a big contrast between them.
Not so much. Neither guy is smooth at all. Mike was a bit better but his delivery needs work.
Was hoping for better.

He completely ignored that it was much easier to “work and school” 70 years ago than it is today.
Franken mentioned he could pay for a year’s college by working 3-4 months in a packing plant...and Grassley endorsed that was the case.....70 years ago.
Nowadays, a person would have to work at minimum a year “full time” at such a job to pay for college. That is not really practical in today’s world.
Back in 1967-68, I attended a state school out of Iowa, primarily financed by $$ my dad wagered in Vegas (a $20 bet on 1967 World Series competitors, that “hit”). He won $1400...and that money paid the majority of my room/board that school year. That money wouldn’t buy books, today.

One line that Franken slipped in there early was mentioning that chucks parents were of the "civil war era" which was the last insurrection resembling Jan 6.
It's true, tho. Chuck is really old.

This ageism crap isn't playing well in Iowa.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
He completely ignored that it was much easier to “work and school” 70 years ago than it is today.
Franken mentioned he could pay for a year’s college by working 3-4 months in a packing plant...and Grassley endorsed that was the case.....70 years ago.
Nowadays, a person would have to work at minimum a year “full time” at such a job to pay for college. That is not really practical in today’s world.
Back in 1967-68, I attended a state school out of Iowa, primarily financed by $$ my dad wagered in Vegas (a $20 bet on 1967 World Series competitors, that “hit”). He won $1400...and that money paid the majority of my room/board that school year. That money wouldn’t buy books, today.

Bloated administration and professor salaries is where you start. Professors using grad students to do their job and not even being present many times.

This stuff needs to stop right now.

Grassley was better last night.

Now, as for the ridiculous cost of education, just a couple of points:

The Dems have control at the federal level and have done NOTHING to address this issue, and they never will. Someone needs to put the hammer down on the cost of college education by freaking going after the colleges themselves. It is a joke how much it cost.

As far as people "Not being able to put themselves through college"...that is BULLSHIT! I went for two years to JUCO and then transferred to a good 4 year college........taking some in person, but most by correspondence courses. The whole time I worked what I could and when I graduated I owed nothing. My sons (one is still in High school and one is currently in his 3rd year of college studies) are/will follow the same path and will also owe nothing when they are done. Now, they have also lived at home while doing so to save on the cost of living. But, it has/is working out beautifully.

It is just this simple, You want to go away for college and experience the college life by going to a campus.....go for it. But, you or your parents should darn well pay for that experience and not me or any other taxpayer. College is a choice....make good decisions for your future.

The Dems have control at the federal level and have done NOTHING to address this issue, and they never will. Someone needs to put the hammer down on the cost of college education by freaking going after the colleges themselves. It is a joke how much it cost.

As far as people "Not being able to put themselves through college"...that is BULLSHIT! I went for two years to JUCO and then transferred to a good 4 year college........taking some in person, but most by correspondence courses. The whole time I worked what I could and when I graduated I owed nothing. My sons (one is still in High school and one is currently in his 3rd year of college studies) are/will follow the same path and will also owe nothing when they are done. Now, they have also lived at home while doing so to save on the cost of living. But, it has/is working out beautifully.

It is just this simple, You want to go away for college and experience the college life by going to a campus.....go for it. But, you or your parents should darn well pay for that experience and not me or any other taxpayer. College is a choice....make good decisions for your future.

This is a solid post.

Reactions: SiouxCityHawkFan

Well, you think highly of yourself

It's not a federal issue, it's a state funding issue.

Perhaps you're the one being obtuse. Rather than buying votes this Fall, perhaps you should take the college and university bloat seriously. Many people are getting rich off of kids and parents. Yet not one single action to address
Unfortunately, nobody wants to address the root cause. Just throw more money at it which is why we have what we have.

It is actually both....and congress can absolutely do something about it if they wanted to.
Congress "doing something" to cover the shortfalls that states have chosen to take on, is a huge reason cost is out of hand. State schools are state schools, and underfunding them at the local level is the linchpin in the whole mess.

Last edited:
Iowa is a redneck hole in most parts. Let's just admit the truth. Uneducated, racist, hillbillies in 99% of the state. You could run JFK here and he'd lose in a landslide. This state is basically the deep south minus the great food or Apalachicola minus the mountains and bluegrass music.

Anyone with a brain is leaving this shithole.

Iowa is a redneck hole in most parts. Let's just admit the truth. Uneducated, racist, hillbillies in 99% of the state. You could run JFK here and he'd lose in a landslide. This state is basically the deep south minus the great food or Apalachicola minus the mountains and bluegrass music.

Anyone with a brain is leaving this shithole.
harsh-britney-spears.gif

• Love
Reactions: GOHOX69
Congress "doing something" to cover the shortfalls that states have chosen to take on, is a huge reason cost is out of hand. State schools are state schools, and underfunded them at the local level is the linchpin in the whole mess.
The right wants the states to make decisions when it comes to personal choice but wants nothing to do with it when it comes to funding their own efforts.

What an silly response. I pointed out how it worked for me and my son(s). Of course I am proud of how it has and is turning out. Now, are you going to try and refute my points or just post snarky comments

No, if you want to have an honest discussion about the issue, don't infuse yourself. Have some compassion for others that may not be as fortunate as you.

Reactions: nelly02
Congress "doing something" to cover the shortfalls that states have chosen to take on, is a huge reason cost is out of hand. State schools are state schools, and underfunding them at the local level is the linchpin in the whole mess.

I am not talking about choosing to cover "shortfalls". Most of these schools do not have shortfalls. Dems like to talk about price gouging...and that is absolutely occurring in our college system. Someone needs to show me a state major state school that does not have enough funds, and then prove that they are not wasting the money they do get.

No, if you want to have an honest discussion about the issue, don't infuse yourself. Have some compassion for others that may not be as fortunate as you.
Go ahead and start the "real" discussion then. I am not saying there aren't those, that because of financial downfalls like we are seeing now in this stupid economy, don't need help. But, there should be a process in place for them to "apply" for forgiveness not just a blanket one like this President did. (for political reasons no less). And, which by the way...he is now silently pulling back on (Shocking).

You tell me where the plan we have chosen as a family is wrong? And, where does working 2 jobs while going to school screams fortunate? That is a joke on more levels then you will ever know. Many people work hard to make that exact dream happen for themselves. And many other COULD have done the same. Now, if you want to pull at my heartstrings, then lets do something about the homeless. I will back BIG TIME!

Go ahead and start the "real" discussion then. I am not saying there aren't those, that because of financial downfalls like we are seeing now in this stupid economy, don't need help. But, there should be a process in place for them to "apply" for forgiveness not just a blanket one like this President did. (for political reasons no less). And, which by the way...he is now silently pulling back on (Shocking).

You tell me where the plan we have chosen as a family is wrong? And, where does working 2 jobs while going to school screams fortunate? That is a joke on more levels then you will ever know. Many people work hard to make that exact dream happen for themselves. And many other COULD have done the same. Now, if you want to pull at my heartstrings, then lets do something about the homeless. I will back BIG TIME!

Okay, I routinely give money to the homeless on the streets even though I know some have to be grifters. That is not the point.

Education was cheap as hell back in the day. The GI bill paid for everything. Todays GI Bill doesn't put a dent in the cost.

Sure, there are some lazy professors making way too much, but I think it is the adminstrators / staff that are much more of cost.

I've tried to talk so many people out of going to law school, I can't imagine. 150k later they will realize.

I firmly believe in sending kids to JUCO or trade schools. A 4 year degree is just not worth it. When I was on school board, one of the members said everyone should go to college. Nice, but idiotic. If you start out in a trade out of h.s., you can retire by 50.

Reactions: nelly02 and Ree4
Then you need to, like I said, start questioning your state government. How the universities operate is usually under the purview of a board of regents with mandates by the state legislature. That also has to balance the necessary evil of being able to compete with similar schools for future enrollment to survive.

Okay, I routinely give money to the homeless on the streets even though I know some have to be grifters. That is not the point.

Education was cheap as hell back in the day. The GI bill paid for everything. Todays GI Bill doesn't put a dent in the cost.
I also give to the homeless. Thank you for doing the same
Sure, there are some lazy professors making way too much, but I think it is the adminstrators / staff that are much more of cost. Yes, it was cheaper back then, but wages were also MUCH lower. And, my boys (and some of their friends) are doing it now...with the cost the way it is. And, you are right...I am sure a lot of the cost are because of administrators and many staff.

I've tried to talk so many people out of going to law school, I can't imagine. 150k later they will realize.

I firmly believe in sending kids to JUCO or trade schools. A 4 year degree is just not worth it. When I was on school board, one of the members said everyone should go to college. Nice, but idiotic. If you start out in a trade out of h.s., you can retire by 50. I ABSOLUTYLY give the rest of your post a BIG THUMBS UP!

Honest discussion? Assuming everybody else is the "unfortunate" is not compassionate or honest. Unless you're such an elite to be above everyone, personal experience is the best position to start from - that is if you really want to have a discussion

Reactions: TornadoHawk93
Bloated administration and professor salaries is where you start. Professors using grad students to do their job and not even being present many times.

This stuff needs to stop right now.
I have heard this for years but never been able to verify it unless for exceptions due to emergencies (sickness, conferences)......
Back in the day LARGE core courses (200-400 students per lecture) the prof was generally the "instructor" but discussion groups (25-30 student per group) "grad assistants" were in charge, graded homework, read blue book exam answers (under instructions of the prof).....all in their work for their advanced degree.....Has it changed much? I doubt it.....Education, like most other professions.....Rank Has Its Privileges (RHIP).
In smaller 4 year liberal arts colleges, generally the professor dies it all......but class sizes are much more manageable.....Aldo in larger schools, ADVANCED courses are lead by full professors in most phases of instruction.
There is a lot of "administration"....but then colleges do have a lot of paperwork.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT