ADVERTISEMENT

Graza's Improvement

I'm sure there have been players that improved their scoring by almost 11 points from one season to another but I seriously doubt any player made the jump from not even being conference honorable mention to NPOY.

The best I can remember is B J Armstrong between his freshman and sophomore year. His growth was phenomenal. Went from bench player to the best or near the best player on the team and the entire conference.

He really just got stronger and in better shape.

His defense improved too.

Hes always had the shot making ability, his shooting percentages have remained basically the same all 3 years.

He just gets more shots off now because he's not splitting time on the block anymore.

Reactions: kceasthawk
It's like it has been a transformation. Unbelievable how much better he is than last year. He has got so many more moves than he had. And his confidence has skyrocketed, he feels as though he can't be stopped by anyone. One word....AMAZING

Reactions: Sheahawk
Think about last year. Garza was fighting his body, amazing what he was able to do both with the cyst and then recovery and then back on the floor. Crazy.

So Garza is great the next year, fully healthy.

This year, Bohannon, Frederick, PMac—imagine if these three guys are better versions of themselves simply by virtue of being in better health.

And then I expect a jump for Weez, too. He sure looked like he lost weight during the year. Never heard anything that he had an illness or anything, though.

Yeah, my point remains the same. It was quite the leap from being barely recognized by your own conference to being voted National Player of the Year.

Reactions: BBHawk
Closest I can think of is Frank Kaminsky.
This......Frank the Tank became a beast and dominated his Junior year...and came back to do it again....I'm not one for begging but it would be the coolest thing I could imagine if Luka would return to complete unfinished business.

It's like it has been a transformation. Unbelievable how much better he is than last year. He has got so many more moves than he had. And his confidence has skyrocketed, he feels as though he can't be stopped by anyone. One word....AMAZING

He basically uses one move on each side of the block.

He has others that Ive seen him use occasionally but for the most part spin baseline on left block drop step hook on the right.

His touch from random angles is what is phenomenal. He adjusts his arm angle with a slight hesitation below the rim to avoid blocks in a way I can't think of anyone else doing.

Next year I think there will be allot more of the bag of tricks on display but passing out of double teams will be key. That's where the most improvement can come.

With another 3 point option on the floor he’ll get doubled a little less and it will be easier to pass out to a knock down shooter that isn’t the D’s second focus. Joe W’s game went south when teams discovered if they got into him when he drove he was just headed into those who were doubling on Luka. When CJ went down the second time Joe started his slide and never came out of it.

With all these Frank Garza videos that have sprung up the last few days, I hope that they aren't the last time we get to see Luka in an Iowa uniform. No information coming from Garza or his family regarding his return to Iowa next year, yes I know it's early and April 26 is more then a month away.
This intense practicing is making me nervous that he's intensely working out to impress NBA scouts...Frank once said that they know his limitations and so does the NBA, but as someone has said, all it takes is one team to show interest.
Having a Iowa junior player receiving so many honors is hope for next year and also a big let down if he leaves early.
I know Iowa will be good next year with or without Luka, but it won't be the same without the big man in the middle. Have my fingers crossed:)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT