ADVERTISEMENT

Great Article Ripping Delaney and Conference Expansion

That's precious.

Well if you offer literally nothing besides a has been football program with delusional fans, what is it we are all getting as a conference? Man that cable TV money from Kearney is just making the BTN bust at the seams with cash....

Well if you offer literally nothing besides a has been football program with delusional fans, what is it we are all getting as a conference? Man that cable TV money from Kearney is just making the BTN bust at the seams with cash....
You're not that stupid are you? Nebraska is a national brand, with eyeballs all over the country. It's why they were attractive to Delaney. You think he wanted to add the state of Nebraska to for their minimal cable subscribers? Of course not. Nebraska fans are everywhere. And Nebraska draws non-Nebraska college football fan watchers as well. Cue your comments about how Nebraska stinks lately. You would be right. But they still draw, and that's what matters. The Nebraska brand is still strong. That's what mattered to Delaney when he went after Nebraska, and it still matters today.

Reactions: Hawks_R_8N5_again
We did fine doesnt mean we were going to keep doing fine
Just one meaningless statistic for the wasteland that is the Big Ten, but I believe they said during Iowa versus Northwestern the Big Ten has led the nation in attendance for Basketball for 41 years straight! (that was before Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska, Penn State, etc.)

I think things were going OK, but it's probably just me.

I bet you are still mad that Michigan State was allowed to join the Conference.

I am not as pissed about Maryland. Its really not a great fit geographically, but at least they seem to show up in sports, especially basketball.

You're not that stupid are you? Nebraska is a national brand, with eyeballs all over the country. It's why they were attractive to Delaney. You think he wanted to add the state of Nebraska to for their minimal cable subscribers? Of course not. Nebraska fans are everywhere. And Nebraska draws non-Nebraska college football fan watchers as well. Cue your comments about how Nebraska stinks lately. You would be right. But they still draw, and that's what matters. The Nebraska brand is still strong. That's what mattered to Delaney when he went after Nebraska, and it still matters today.

Minnesota in the 70's.

Just one meaningless statistic for the wasteland that is the Big Ten, but I believe they said during Iowa versus Northwestern the Big Ten has led the nation in attendance for Basketball for 41 years straight! (that was before Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska, Penn State, etc.)

I think things were going OK, but it's probably just me.
That is pretty crazy about attendence, but it is true. Growing up around the Midwest it just seemed natural that all major basketball arenas were this big 13k+ stadiums because that is what we see. Look at Iowa and ISU, both big venues and 2 different conferences. And of course outside or Northwestern every Big Ten arena is very large as well. With exception, east and west coast venues aren't nearly as big as what we have here. You'd be surprised how small many of the more famous venues really are. Just to cite a few recent national champions, Cameron (Duke)is under 10k, villanovas place is WAY under 10k, and Florida's joint is right around 10k.

Even Pauley pavillion, the house Wooden built, is a couple Grand smaller than Carver!

Every football stadium in the SEC is known for being huge, the Big Ten is kind of that way for basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT