ADVERTISEMENT

Great win!

jerbob36

HR All-State
Dec 16, 2012
Random observations from today:

Today was a rare poor performance from Connor. I've been a huge fan of what he brings all year, but today wasn't his best outing and we still got it done. He's still a key part of this run.

We are just better with Sandfort on the floor. He is a threat to hit a 3 any time he's on the floor. His defender can't help, opening up driving lanes for other guys better.

I'd still be fine with a few more minutes from Bowen. 4-5 each half maybe. I know Dix is eating up those minutes, and he's done a good job.

Still wish we did the little things better defensively and on the glass. Weak side defense leaves a lot to be desired. And yet, this team keeps getting it done.

Lastly, this is a fun group to cheer for. Way too early to say we're in the Dance, but we need to go 3-5 the rest of the way to get to 10-10. Minny and Nebraska should be winnable. I think we get Ohio State and maybe sneak another one in there somewhere.

Today was a rare poor performance from Connor. I've been a huge fan of what he brings all year, but today wasn't his best outing and we still got it done. He's still a key part of this run.

We are just better with Sandfort on the floor. He is a threat to hit a 3 any time he's on the floor. His defender can't help, opening up driving lanes for other guys better.

I'd still be fine with a few more minutes from Bowen. 4-5 each half maybe. I know Dix is eating up those minutes, and he's done a good job.

Still wish we did the little things better defensively and on the glass. Weak side defense leaves a lot to be desired. And yet, this team keeps getting it done.

Lastly, this is a fun group to cheer for. Way too early to say we're in the Dance, but we need to go 3-5 the rest of the way to get to 10-10. Minny and Nebraska should be winnable. I think we get Ohio State and maybe sneak another one in there somewhere.
PS helps spreads the floor for the offense for sure, but he consistently gets in bad matchups on defense and picks up fouls for himself or team mates trying to help. Every time Epps saw #20 in front of him his eyes got as big as saucers........Love his hustle and enthusiasm, but when he ends up on a guard who can handle the ball he's in trouble...

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
PS helps spreads the floor for the offense for sure, but he consistently gets in bad matchups on defense and picks up fouls for himself or team mates trying to help. Every time Epps saw #20 in front of him his eyes got as big as saucers........Love his hustle and enthusiasm, but when he ends up on a guard who can handle the ball he's in trouble...
Agree 100%. The same can be said for PMac, Perkins, and others as well. Whenever I get frustrated at our zone (which I think is terrible), I remember how many blow-bys we give up in M2M.

Agree 100%. The same can be said for PMac, Perkins, and others as well. Whenever I get frustrated at our zone (which I think is terrible), I remember how many blow-bys we give up in M2M.
Perkins is capable of decent D on a guard. Pmac just doesn't really seem to give the effort on D anymore then on the boards. I always feel bad commenting on the kid, given what he's been through, but it is what it is. Cmac is a gamer, BUT he's the poster boy of a tweener. Built like a power forward, but not tall enough. Can handle the ball but doesn't have the lateral movement or quickness to defend a decent guard. This constantly puts him in bad matchups. He's a great help defender, but can be had in bad one on one matchups consistently.

CMac got that last rebound tho if the radio was right.

+ Iowa won
- This was an extremely disjointed game with little or no flow due to Refs calling fouls on every single play.

Glad the Hawks won. The Big 10 is a mess.

This. We won't make this many FTs every game
yep

Got killed on the boards and Rebraca normally is good rebounder but only had 2 vs Illini.

Payton had 6 rebounds. While he did get taken off the dribble by Epps I thought he defended
the dribble drive fairly well and Epps made some high difficulty shots. The 3pt closeout Payton
did was pretty good to end the game.

As an Illini fan I have nothing but congrats … watch’s that one from Section E, Row 8 if anyone saw a drunk Illini fan with his two even drunker Hawkeyes fiends.

A lot of Illini fans are complaining about the refs, and I don’t agree. Epic rivalry game, and someone had to lose … sucks to lose, so cheers to you guys. Tough to beat anyone six times in a row! 🙃

Love this rivalry!

As an Illini fan I have nothing but congrats … watch’s that one from Section E, Row 8 if anyone saw a drunk Illini fan with his two even drunker Hawkeyes fiends.

A lot of Illini fans are complaining about the refs, and I don’t agree. Epic rivalry game, and someone had to lose … sucks to lose, so cheers to you guys. Tough to beat anyone six times in a row! 🙃

Love this rivalry!
Good post this was a classic battle and you have a damn good team.

Can’t keep getting hammered on the boards. With that, we won. So, point is moot. Except that we can’t KEEP getting hammered on the boards.
We lost the battle on the boards because Iowa played Rebraca at the high post and beyond most of the time on offense. They also played zone quite a bit, and when they were man to man, Illinois played with three players 6'9" or taller and Murray was away from the basket guarding Mayer. Most of the time it was one hawk and sometimes 2 Hawks against 3 taller Illini.

Reactions: hawksense

Love this rivalry!

This is a fair post. I can see why the Illini would be upset with some calls but ultimately Iowa made all their FTs and both teams were in the double bonus.

I can say I do NOT want to play Illinois again. Just a bad matchup for us. The only way we win is turn you over and get to the line. That is what happened. Well, and Perkins went bananas. We could not defend you no matter what we did. Matchup zone, 1-3-1, man to man. Smoked in all of them.

Reactions: Hawkman34
+ Iowa won
- This was an extremely disjointed game with little or no flow due to Refs calling fouls on every single play.

Glad the Hawks won. The Big 10 is a mess.

I will disagree with the negative. We have been begging to get grabbing, hand checking, all that "Big Ten" stuff out. If you call it all then teams have to adjust.

CBS right now has Iowa as a 7 seed playing in Des Moines. I’ll sign up for that right now.

I would say 0.5% chance of Des Moines as a 7 seed. I think Iowa St...

Unless Iowa is the 7 and Iowa St. is the 2. That would be insane.

Reactions: nelly02
CMac got that last rebound tho if the radio was right.
His first of the day in a 0/1/2 statline in 29 mins. That was like Feb '21 CMac, hope he's feeling OK. Hawks can't get out rebounded like that and expect to win, free throws totally bailed out the team today. We had several players who had off games but it's great others stepped up to cover for them, perk being the obvious one.

After that start, who woulda thunk tied for Top 3 in the big. Amazing.

Honestly my only quibble was wanting to see Kris demand the ball in the last min, but really minor, he was amazing all game, and dominant.

That Illinois team is tall, long, talented and athletic…..they play good defense, are well coached. To top it off they shot the ball really well. I honestly feel like we were overmatched and still won…..really low turnovers against that athletic and well coached defense is astounding.

Love this rivalry!
I’ll say one thing refs called 2nd half different from first for both teams. Why both teams got to ft line lot more. Getting lot more foul calls on drives. Perkins benefited greatly. Shannon able to get to it on back to back possessions later in the game with the and 1. As an Iowa fan I credit perkins for knowing and using it to his advantage. Both teams too were making them until late where Hawkins went 1-4 and kris and Tony each went 1-2 but making his previous 15 I’ll give perkins a pass.

Also even if you would have blamed them I wouldn’t be upset because if Iowa had lost I’m sure plenty on here blaming refs. Just how it goes. Just glad finally got a W against Illinois after couple close losses and great for our resume.

Last edited:
Can’t keep getting hammered on the boards. With that, we won. So, point is moot. Except that we can’t KEEP getting hammered on the boards.
Yeah. Illinois a bad matchup for us. Bigger teams like them 3-5 even taller guards. He didn’t play great offensively but until late where he had an and 1 and got to ft line thought Connor did well on Shannon their best player. Hawkins hurt us on the boards but didn’t make a shot minus fts all day. So credit there to the guys.

Reactions: perryhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT