ADVERTISEMENT

Fever's first win

Beattheohiostate

HR All-State
Aug 5, 2022
phoenix, AZ
Congrats to Caitlin Clark and Co. for collecting Indiana's first win of the season last night before a record crowd of over 19,000 in Los Angeles. There were a few remarkable elements involved in that game besides getting that first W:

* The officiating was fantastic. Not perfect, but it was one of the best officiated games I've ever seen on any level in a long time. Or did it just seem that way compared to the trash the WNBA has been putting out before last night . . . In any event, it was shocking and overdue. Let's hope for this kind of officiating becoming the norm, as it should.

* The lack of rugby-style play. Give LA credit for playing basketball instead of rugby. I'm pretty sure that helped make the game so well officiated. This, too, should be the norm.

* Caitlin should have had a triple double if her teammates could make a layup. Even so, she finished with 11 points, 10 rebounds, and 8 assists, and that last number should have been at least 12. In fact, last night CC led the Fever in rebounds, assists, and steals (4), and she was tied for blocks with 2. For those who didn't realize it, CC is a basketball player, not just a shooter.

* Despite having a seriously off night from three, CC played some tenacious defense, forced some TOs, and in addition to putting up the numbers above, she hit two of the biggest shots of the night . . . both long threes late in the game . . . to clinch the win for Indiana.

* There were signs, at times, that Indiana is beginning to figure out how CC plays and how they fit into that style. Of course, how she plays hasn't exactly been a secret, so maybe her teammates--and coaches--should have been far more prepared for her arrival.

* Finally, the TV announcers were the best, by far, we've heard in our brief WNBA experience.

And so maybe everyone can relax a little and Indiana can keep on winning, although tonight's quick turnaround @ Las Vegas should be a challenge. Tonight's game also will be a reunion for CC with Kate Martin and Megan Gustafson. As a result, I understand that Lisa Bluder and the entire Iowa women's coaching staff will be in Vegas to witness the game. Cool. I hope all three Iowa grads play well and that we see another clean, close, well-officiated, entertaining game.

Last edited:
Congrats CC and Fever. Was great to see Boston break out; she really needed that. I absolutely love Fagbenle; might have been POG. Hope to see Smith start to really come on here as well. Not sold on Wallace yet and think that’s still a missing piece for this team.

Question for others—was CC’s air ball 3 REALLY an air ball and not deflected? Mrs. spider and I looked at each other about half a dozen times in disbelief after that. That shot missed left by at least three feet if not more. Even CC’s “bad” threes almost always at least draw iron. Was anyone else thinking that someone must have gotten a piece of that?

Congrats to Caitlin Clark and Co. for collecting Indiana's first win of the season last night before a record crowd of over 19,000 in Los Angeles. There were a few remarkable elements involved in that game besides getting that first W:

* The officiating was fantastic. Not perfect, but it was one of the best officiated games I've ever seen on any level in a long time. Or did it just seem that way compared to the trash the WNBA has been putting out before last night . . . In any event, it was shocking and overdue. Let's hope for this kind of officiating becoming the norm, as it should.

* The lack of rugby-style play. Give LA credit for playing basketball instead of rugby. I'm pretty sure that helped make the game so well officiated. This, too, should be the norm.

* Caitlin should have had a triple double if her teammates could make a layup. Even so, she finished with 11 points, 10 rebounds, and 8 assists, and that last number should have been at least 12.

* Despite having a seriously off night from three, CC played some tenacious defense, forced some TOs, and in addition to putting up the numbers above, she hit two of the biggest shots of the night . . . both long threes late in the game . . . to clinch the win for Indiana.

* There were signs, at times, that Indiana is beginning to figure out how CC plays and how they fit into that style. Of course, how she plays hasn't exactly been a secret, so maybe her teammates--and coaches--should have been far more prepared for her arrival.

* Finally, the TV announcers were the best, by far, we've heard in our brief WNBA experience.

And so maybe everyone can relax a little and Indiana can keep on winning, although tonight's quick turnaround @ Las Vegas should be a challenge. Tonight's game also will be a reunion for CC with Kate Martin and Megan Gustafson. As a result, I understand that Lisa Bluder and the entire Iowa women's coaching staff will be in Vegas to witness the game. Cool. I hope all three Iowa grads play well and that we see another clean, close, well-officiated, entertaining game.

It was not a poorly officiated game per se. And CCs defense was dramatically better.

However she still was cheating inside, they just didn’t have enough great shooters to hurt her for it.

But in the 2nd half Coach Sides never once put her off ball. And that was smart!

Last edited:
Congrats CC and Fever. Was great to see Boston break out; she really needed that. I absolutely love Fagbenle; might have been POG. Hope to see Smith start to really come on here as well. Not sold on Wallace yet and think that’s still a missing piece for this team.

Question for others—was CC’s air ball 3 REALLY an air ball and not deflected? Mrs. spider and I looked at each other about half a dozen times in disbelief after that. That shot missed left by at least three feet if not more. Even CC’s “bad” threes almost always at least draw iron. Was anyone else thinking that someone must have gotten a piece of that?
That shot was partially blocked. Absolutely. Someone came across the lane and swatted it like a free safety coming out of nowhere. It was great defense.

Heck, iirc, even the Storm game was better officiated and less of a bar fight (wink to Lisa Bluder) than the first four games.

So I am heartened not all teams play bully ball nor do all officials allow for it.

Now how is tonight's game gonna go?

Hits a 3 to seal the game and the sell out crowd in LA goes crazy.

I can't think of another player, in any sport, at any time, that has had the impact CC has had.
It's crazy, it was like they were playing in front of their home fans

They might want to keep that worst record in the league alive this season, so they can pick up Paige Bueckers in the draft next year!

They might want to keep that worst record in the league alive this season, so they can pick up Paige Bueckers in the draft next year!
Paige and Clark play the same position. Not sure that would be the best choice. Honestly, they might be better served trading down if they get the first pick again. They need to sign a veteran that can lead Boston and Clark and they need to also sign an enforcer to make people think twice about taking cheap shots on Clark.

Paige and Clark play the same position. Not sure that would be the best choice. Honestly, they might be better served trading down if they get the first pick again. They need to sign a veteran that can lead Boston and Clark and they need to also sign an enforcer to make people think twice about taking cheap shots on Clark.
Can you imagine if Portland didn’t pass on Jordan for similar reasons? However, it would be like having Jordan and passing on drexler.

A. If Bueckers is available for Indiana, they won't pass up on her, nor will Paige take Caitlin’s spot or minutes from her at PG.

B. They could use another big, and that's where trading back would come in. Ayoka Lee out of Kansas State is coming up next year as well.

C. The Fever will still have options in the draft if they stick and pick high but Paige isn't an option. Aneesah Morrow and Kiki Iriafan are two forwards that have been mocked high as well.

yea, it would be nice to have that 1st pick. A few teams would love to trade up and the Fever could get a nice deal. I think Aneesha Morrow from LSU might be who the Fever might like. As long as they're in the first two picks, they should get the 3rd wheel they need.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT