ADVERTISEMENT

Guitarists of HORT!

Give me some recommendations for online lessons / teachers.

I haven’t started any yet and am collecting suggestions. Any you found helpful? Any you’d stay away from?

Thanks in advance!

I've got a retired military friend that would probably help you out. Also Tony Bohenkamp in DSM does this. Youtube him. He does both piano and guitar, I believe. Super nice guy

10d99b2f17f85ddfcda9a6ffdd7a65ab.gif

I have Bohenkamps' cell number. Not sure how easy it would be to do online. Probably need a good camera so he can see what you are doing.

He and his former bandmates opened for Bon Jovi back in the day. He is reasonable on costs

I have Bohenkamps' cell number. Not sure how easy it would be to do online. Probably need a good camera so he can see what you are doing.

He and his former bandmates opened for Bon Jovi back in the day. He is reasonable on costs
Thanks
I was just thinking starting with one of the YouTube/websites/apps out there. Like Marty Schwartz, Justin Guitar, Ultimate Guitar, etc.

Reactions: h-hawk
If you have simple understanding of a few chords and strumming, download Chordify. It is a very inexpensive service, doesn't give you instruction, but almost any song you want will be right there and you can play along with it (you will be surprised at how much you really do know, and Comfortably Numb on acoustic is pretty cool). It has several options to move tempo and chords so you can move any song into a range you can play with a very limited chord arsenal (use the capo feature). Embarrassment is what holds people back here, so yo can do all of this in private. Jump in. Also as a side note, never put your guitar away, leave it out. It makes a HUGE difference on how often you practice/play.

If you want to raw dog it get to some tab sites and just keep pounding until the song you’re trying sounds good. You can buy books and stuff but if you want to go that way I recommend just going down to your local music shop and asking about costs and schedules of lessons.

Ok so I’ve been off and on for the last several years. I’m still terrible but I’m not a stinking pile of garbage either.

To get started, make sure your guitar isn’t a cheap POS. Honestly this set me back a few years because I bought the cheapest one I could off Amazon and the action on the strings was unbearable but I didn’t know it at the time. Even a decent $300 guitar should be good enough for beginner stuff.

Second, JustinGuitar is the best out there for beginners. Personally I don’t think his app is worth it, as they’ve had to remove a ton of songs because of licensing disputes. But follow his free online program, don’t rush it, and you’ll see progress. I compare Justin’s teaching style to teaching a new driver. Some instructors want you to understand the manual and all the parts before hopping in the driver’s seat and some instructors say “drive, I’ll teach you what things are as they come up.” Justin is definitely the latter of those two and definitely fits with my learning style.

Third, play stuff you actually like or at least work towards it. Once Justin started getting into Blues, I glossed over it because it’s just not for me.

Finally, I do think there’s a limit on Justin’s course (and all beginner courses) in that once you’re through the beginner stuff, you probably need a live teacher to take you to the next step. This is what I’ve always struggled with actually doing. But I told myself I’m going to get through Justin’s program again this year and then next year actually hire someone for lessons. Otherwise I think I’ll probably stay stuck forever.

It’s a grind but can be really fun. Good luck.

Ok so I’ve been off and on for the last several years. I’m still terrible but I’m not a stinking pile of garbage either.

To get started, make sure your guitar isn’t a cheap POS. Honestly this set me back a few years because I bought the cheapest one I could off Amazon and the action on the strings was unbearable but I didn’t know it at the time. Even a decent $300 guitar should be good enough for beginner stuff.

Second, JustinGuitar is the best out there for beginners. Personally I don’t think his app is worth it, as they’ve had to remove a ton of songs because of licensing disputes. But follow his free online program, don’t rush it, and you’ll see progress. I compare Justin’s teaching style to teaching a new driver. Some instructors want you to understand the manual and all the parts before hopping in the driver’s seat and some instructors say “drive, I’ll teach you what things are as they come up.” Justin is definitely the latter of those two and definitely fits with my learning style.

Third, play stuff you actually like or at least work towards it. Once Justin started getting into Blues, I glossed over it because it’s just not for me.

Finally, I do think there’s a limit on Justin’s course (and all beginner courses) in that once you’re through the beginner stuff, you probably need a live teacher to take you to the next step. This is what I’ve always struggled with actually doing. But I told myself I’m going to get through Justin’s program again this year and then next year actually hire someone for lessons. Otherwise I think I’ll probably stay stuck forever.

It’s a grind but can be really fun. Good luck.
Man, how can blues not be for you? Jimmi, Clapton, Led Zeppelin, and on and on and on, came from blues. Chord progressions that sound like you’re just slaying while they simple.

Can’t get on you really. I understand. I don’t get this mumble rap stuff.

Reactions: JustSayOV and Moral
I screw around with them, but would like to progress past the “longtime beginner” stage.
I recently watched an interesting video created by a guitar teacher that discussed that exact issue. Essentially he said that most people that get into guitar playing and don’t improve past the beginner stage learn some basic cords and maybe a tune or two. They continue playing what they know as it’s rewarding because what they are playing sounds pretty good. They don’t get out of their comfort zone learning more complex pieces or techniques and simply stay in that beginner bubble until they ultimately get bored and lose interest. The teacher suggests learning guitar should be viewed like an academic curriculum where week by week you are learning new techniques, practicing daily and building off what you learned the previous week. He suggests that playing a little (an hour or so) everyday is imperative for most people to develop the required muscle memory.

I don’t play, but I love and am interested in most things Rock N’ Roll, so I found the concept fascinating.

I recently watched an interesting video created by a guitar teacher that discussed that exact issue. Essentially he said that most people that get into guitar playing and don’t improve past the beginner stage learn some basic cords and maybe a tune or two. They continue playing what they know as it’s rewarding because what they are playing sounds pretty good. They don’t get out of their comfort zone learning more complex pieces or techniques and simply stay in that beginner bubble until they ultimately get bored and lose interest. The teacher suggests learning guitar should be viewed like an academic curriculum where week by week you are learning new techniques, practicing daily and building off what you learned the previous week. He suggests that playing a little (an hour or so) everyday is imperative for most people to develop the required muscle memory.

I don’t play, but I love and am interested in most things Rock N’ Roll, so I found the concept fascinating.
Interesting perspective. I might be in that group.

One thing that’s frustrating to me is simple anatomy. I know it’s no excuse, but every guitar player I see on YT has hands and fingers like on the left, while mine are similar to the one in the right. I know it’s possible to get past it, but it’s frustrating.

JQ4fu-zmWeMSfna-8AuLCPwFn-82uU5dd3oh2kb90imhGVUFb1pQHlBu8-sX75oSE7jJ6jlCLxd1RGGYe_a5hWhtaOIU85lTu39fUZ4S4fNyAy0Qd6xIh5tu5GLU3agCKHuHgl_8h3b4et3Rs7v0RXqdI3RlPKesyxf1qA

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
I like this thread.....

My musical journey

1) In college I thought "I am going to learn electric guitar & melt faces!!!!"
2) Found out real quick it doesn't work like that and traded in my cheap electric set up at a pawn shop for an acoustic guitar
3) Pretty much learned Em-D-G-C chords and learned a few songs to strum along to
4) World of Youtube started picking up so started learning real simple little intro licks and hammer ons here or there, etc etc from watching youtube videos
5) Pretty much figured out all my chords, screwed around long enough to figure out some finger picking....this opened up a whole new world of folk /americana which I like a lot (i.e. John Prine, etc)
6) Got over the hump of "singing" in public on a fishing trip with a bunch of drunks and come to find out they loved it and didn't think I was half bad
7) Nowadays, probably play for people 3-4 times a year on fishing trips, get togethers, around the camp fire, etc etc and really really enjoy it.

I'm never going to be "good" but the little things like figuring out finger picking or a new strum pattern or something like that keep me interested and keep it fun.

Definitely agree with the previous advice of keeping your guitar out and in sight....just play it 20-30 minutes a day if you can.

Oh and this is a journey of probably close to 20 years for me.....can't read music and never played an instrument in school or anything, but its just a really good way to "zone-out" and relax

So keep it going @Formerly Rockymtnole !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT