ADVERTISEMENT

Gun charge dismissed in Kyle Rittenhouse trial

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Judge Bruce Schroeder on Monday dismissed the charge of gun possession by a minor in the Kyle Rittenhouse trial.

The charge was dropped after the defense argued that the statute makes it unlawful for those under age 18 to carry what is known as a "short-barreled rifle" in Wisconsin, i.e. a rifle with a barrel shorter than 16 inches, but it is not illegal to carry a longer rifle. This law that allows teenagers to hunt.

No evidence was presented in trial arguing that the AR-15 Rittenhouse had on Aug. 25, 2020 — which was used to shoot Gaige Grosskreutz, Anthony Huber and Joseph Rosenbaum — had a barrel longer than 16 inches. On Monday morning, the prosecution acknowledged that the barrel length is more than 16 inches, and Schroeder dismissed the charge.

The implication of this is could be that it would be legal for teenagers to openly carry AR-15s under most circumstances in Wisconsin.
The charge was dropped prior to the jury being called into the courtroom at about 9:50 a.m. Monday as attorneys for both sides and Schroeder finalized instructions that would be relayed to the jury. Closing statements are expected Monday prior to the jury being allowed to deliberate.

Kenosha Police Detective Ben Antaramian prepares to show an assault-style rifle belonging to defendant Kyle Rittenhouse to State Crime Lab firearms examiner Heather Williams and to the jury during trial at Kenosha Circuit Court, Monday, Nov. 8, 2021, in Kenosha.
MARK HERTZBERG, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Schroeder has yet to definitively rule on the defense's attempt last week to have the trial ruled a "mistrial with prejudice," meaning that the charges could not be brought up again.
The majority of the most serious charges against Rittenhouse, for which he could face life in prison in the killings of Rosenbaum and Huber, are still to be considered by the jury so long as a mistrial ruling isn't given.

Judge Bruce Schroeder on Monday dismissed the charge of gun possession by a minor in the Kyle Rittenhouse trial.

The charge was dropped after the defense argued that the statute makes it unlawful for those under age 18 to carry what is known as a "short-barreled rifle" in Wisconsin, i.e. a rifle with a barrel shorter than 16 inches, but it is not illegal to carry a longer rifle. This law that allows teenagers to hunt.

No evidence was presented in trial arguing that the AR-15 Rittenhouse had on Aug. 25, 2020 — which was used to shoot Gaige Grosskreutz, Anthony Huber and Joseph Rosenbaum — had a barrel longer than 16 inches. On Monday morning, the prosecution acknowledged that the barrel length is more than 16 inches, and Schroeder dismissed the charge.

The implication of this is could be that it would be legal for teenagers to openly carry AR-15s under most circumstances in Wisconsin.
The charge was dropped prior to the jury being called into the courtroom at about 9:50 a.m. Monday as attorneys for both sides and Schroeder finalized instructions that would be relayed to the jury. Closing statements are expected Monday prior to the jury being allowed to deliberate.

Kenosha Police Detective Ben Antaramian prepares to show an assault-style rifle belonging to defendant Kyle Rittenhouse to State Crime Lab firearms examiner Heather Williams and to the jury during trial at Kenosha Circuit Court, Monday, Nov. 8, 2021, in Kenosha.
MARK HERTZBERG, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Schroeder has yet to definitively rule on the defense's attempt last week to have the trial ruled a "mistrial with prejudice," meaning that the charges could not be brought up again.
The majority of the most serious charges against Rittenhouse, for which he could face life in prison in the killings of Rosenbaum and Huber, are still to be considered by the jury so long as a mistrial ruling isn't given.

I say save the gun debate for a later date. If the kid is indeed guilty of murder under the law, that’s good enough.

That was the one charge I was confident they would get him on.
I’m not saying you’re wrong, but to me that’s ridiculous. We should be more worried about whether or not the gun barrel is shorter than 16-inches, as killing multiple people with said gun is a nominal wedge issue by way of comparison? Somewhere, Joe Biden woke up from a nap and said, “C’mon, man.”

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
So, people hunting is okay as long as you have the correct barrel length?
Apparently. If the barrel is shorter than 16-inches, the horror. It’s good to know, though, if my cock was ever on trial as a dangerous weapon I could breathe easily.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but to me that’s ridiculous. We should be more worried about whether or not the gun barrel is shorter than 16-inches, as killing multiple people with said gun is a nominal wedge issue by way of comparison? Somewhere, Joe Biden woke up from a nap and said, “C’mon, man.”

I think he gets off on all charges. They made a pretty clear case that the "victims" instigated the shootings and brandished weapons first aggressively. Self defense. The fact that folks had all these photos and videos made it fairly clear.

I’m not a gun guy, I believe in gun rights but I’m sure there is a reason for the length of the barrel to be of interest to the law. Someone would have to explain it to me.

I think he gets off on all charges. They made a pretty clear case that the "victims" instigated the shootings and brandished weapons first aggressively. Self defense. The fact that folks had all these photos and videos made it fairly clear.
And if that’s indeed the case I’m okay with it. My point is about the gun barrel length. Why should we care?

Reactions: z_ape
I wonder if they will press charges on the dude that had his bicep blown off? He is a felon with a handgun he isn’t allowed to have who travel across state lines.

I’m not a gun guy, I believe in gun rights but I’m sure there is a reason for the length of the barrel to be of interest to the law. Someone would have to explain it to me.
Me too. Does the length of the barrel make the weapon more or less dangerous? I’m genuinely asking.

I agree with that point. But the law is the law and I don't live in Wisconsin so I won't be losing any sleep over it.
I won’t lose sleep either. I’m just curious why the barrel length matters. It seems odd to me, but I don’t know squat about guns and is why I’m asking.

On Monday morning, the prosecution acknowledged that the barrel length is more than 16 inches, and Schroeder dismissed the charge.

If that is what their law stated, then this seems a perfectly correct interpretation.

This case holds no bearing on that interpretation. If WI decides to change that, it is up to them. They certainly could make it so normal hunting rifles are still legal, but semi-automatic weapons are not for minor to carry. Up to them to fix a poorly written bill.

If that is what their law stated, then this seems a perfectly correct interpretation.

This case holds no bearing on that interpretation. If WI decides to change that, it is up to them. They certainly could make it so normal hunting rifles are still legal, but semi-automatic weapons are not for minor to carry. Up to them to fix a poorly written bill.
Define a normal hunting rifle? Many of the small 22s we used as a kid are semi-automatic. Same with shotguns. My dad has two semi automatic shotguns. Very popular with bird hunters.

Define a normal hunting rifle? Many of the small 22s we used as a kid are semi-automatic. Same with shotguns. My dad has two semi automatic shotguns. Very popular with bird hunters.

And that's the point. Perhaps those should be restricted for use by "minors".

Why? I took a hunters safety course at 14 and carried my own 870 express pump shotgun until I was 18. Most hunters start young. They know how to use them.
Sure, how does that relate to the Rittenhouse case? He was untrained, underaged, across a state line, and when things got tense he started firing. He was untrained, and didn't know what he was doing. He was just out there to "Pew, pew", and answer the Proud Boy call.

Reactions: TheCainer
That judge is

giphy.gif

Why? I took a hunters safety course at 14 and carried my own 870 express pump shotgun until I was 18. Most hunters start young. They know how to use them.

I'm referring to semi-autos

Not single or two-shot hunting rifles or shotguns.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT