ADVERTISEMENT

Handshakes immediately after in sports

Losing sucks. When I lost, my mind reeled with what ifs, what should i have done different, how can i do better next time, i was not focused on congratulating the kid who beat me. So, I'm okay with half-assed hand-shakes when the loss is fresh. Team sports are different, there's time to chill, gather yourself, relax, and . . honestly . . share in the misery with teammates. Wrestling is special. Theres no one else to blame for losing, there is only you. and if you don't want to feel that way again, starting with that loss, you'd better get better.

Wrestling is odd on the handshake thing... for sure.

You shake hands during the introduction.

If you ate a captian, you shake hands here.

You shake hands before the match.

You shake hands before overtime (if required).

You shake hands after the match.

And you shake hands after tge meet in the walk through.

Ald, if there is any weird interactions, the official may call for another handshake during the match.

All in, there are as few as 4 handshakes per dual meet and as many as 7 plus.

It is a lot.

I like hockey, shake hands when the playoff series is over.

I love wrestling, but the D1 post match handshake is usually an embarrassment. It's like how can I shake your hand but let you know I only doing because I'm forced to.

Reactions: ChiPackHawk
As far as the golfer just a spoiled baby it seems

I don't know, man. The guy is a different breed altogether. He takes "cyber metrics" to the extreme in a sport that is only scratching the surface.

He had just had a major meltdown on the last 4 holes after having the lead for most of the tournament. Having just taken a triple bogey on the last hole to end the meltdown, it is hard to blame him for a cursory handshake as he did still take his hat off.

Reactions: nitlion6
does the view on handshakes change based on the $$ involve? Way back it was a gentlemen's game but the stakes were not millions. So now when you lose, it's just not the game but big bucks. Guess it comes down to how soon you can get wrapped around 'moving forward'....

does the view on handshakes change based on the $$ involve? Way back it was a gentlemen's game but the stakes were not millions. So now when you lose, it's just not the game but big bucks. Guess it comes down to how soon you can get wrapped around 'moving forward'....

Yeah, that last hole cost him in the neighborhood of 500K(not including any exemptions, sponsorships, etc.). A firm, friendly handshake less than 10 seconds after the hole is going to be pretty hard for just about ANYONE!

I love wrestling, but the D1 post match handshake is usually an embarrassment. It's like how can I shake your hand but let you know I only doing because I'm forced to.
Rarely, if ever, do you see a sincere hand shake after a match is over. If they are looking at it being a sportsmanship issue, the limp wrist, look away hand shake is far more unsportsmanlike than not doing one at all.

Reactions: Gobblin
I don't know, man. The guy is a different breed altogether. He takes "cyber metrics" to the extreme in a sport that is only scratching the surface.

He had just had a major meltdown on the last 4 holes after having the lead for most of the tournament. Having just taken a triple bogey on the last hole to end the meltdown, it is hard to blame him for a cursory handshake as he did still take his hat off.
Honestly who cares its golf. Wrestling is a sport golf is a game and they will never get over that Tiger is done.

Reactions: CumberlandHawk
I’m ok w professional and college athletes not shaking hands at all. Especially, when money and careers are on the line. That being said, international refs can crack me up with their arm jerks.

High school and lower still should shake in all sports.

Yeah, that last hole cost him in the neighborhood of 500K(not including any exemptions, sponsorships, etc.). A firm, friendly handshake less than 10 seconds after the hole is going to be pretty hard for just about ANYONE!
It may be if you're pissed and just choked away a tournament, and end with a triple bogey to boot. But on the PGA Tour, most of those guys light their cigars with 100 dollar bills, so big whoop if you just blew 500 large.

BTW, just visited the World Golf Hall of Fame last week. Pretty cool complex. (didn't see my picture their anywhere either, not even in the monstrous Bob Hope display they have! ;))

Shaking hands after the match is a show of respect for your opponent, and honoring the right to compete.

One of the first things we teach children is the act of sportsmanship. No one likes a sore loser. Who are these youngsters looking up to?

We’ve all witnessed Brands make his wrestlers, who didn’t shake hands, go back to the center of the mat and shake hands. Instead of letting them tear off through the tunnel
He also requires his seniors to remove their hats, while they are introduced.
I am just old fashion, I guess.

I still have trouble with golfers not being able to wear shorts.
The day when they allow PGA golfers to wear shorts, is the day I stop watching. Why not add beer carts that ride beside each foursome. Why not allow golf carts with GPS so they can find their way to the next hole. Why not add a private tents after the first 9.

Last edited:
Have you ever played golf? Most of the time you feel you played like Sh-- and your playing partner had nothing to do with your play. A quick hand shake doesn't hurt anyone. In wrestling the loser is pissed at the guy who crushed him or the ref. I can see why he doesn't want to shake hands in most cases.

In his, we had a guy on our golf team who would shake hands and say good luck, shake hands and say nice match, but not a word in between. Not one word. Usually opponents would be talking to themselves by the back nine.

The handshake is important, but consider that more scarcity might increase its meaning. Like in the Stanley cup.

The day when they allow PGA golfers to wear shorts, is the day I stop watching. Why not add beer carts that ride beside each foursome. Why not allow golf carts with GPS so they can find their way to the next hole. Why not add a private tents after the first 9.
bp, what on earth is wrong with a beer cart? Especially if attended by a properly attired, well proportioned young lady?

Do you golf?

Have you ever played golf? Most of the time you feel you played like Sh-- and your playing partner had nothing to do with your play. A quick hand shake doesn't hurt anyone. In wrestling the loser is pissed at the guy who crushed him or the ref. I can see why he doesn't want to shake hands in most cases.

Regularly. Even have a membership at a CC. I float between a 7 and a 9. Since I often bet mainly with 5's or lower(sadly I mostly know very good or not so good golfers), I often feel my play has a TON to do with that playing partner. At least by the 6th press!

Handshakes are all good, but IMMEDIATELY after taking a beating or making a costly mistake, is asking a lot of anyone.

I am all for letting the loser have some time to collect himself. I know many think of it as some sort of life lesson or a sign of class, but, to me, so is finding a spot to be alone so that you can handle your emotions without everyone seeing.

Regularly. Even have a membership at a CC. I float between a 7 and a 9. Since I often bet mainly with 5's or lower(sadly I mostly know very good or not so good golfers), I often feel my play has a TON to do with that playing partner. At least by the 6th press!

Handshakes are all good, but IMMEDIATELY after taking a beating or making a costly mistake, is asking a lot of anyone.

I am all for letting the loser have some time to collect himself. I know many think of it as some sort of life lesson or a sign of class, but, to me, so is finding a spot to be alone so that you can handle your emotions without everyone seeing.

Tennis players are pretty friendly after a hard fought match. Boxers frequently hug. I still can't figure wrestlers.

Tennis players are pretty friendly after a hard fought match. Boxers frequently hug. I still can't figure wrestlers.

I don't know, I have seen a few John McEnroe's in my time. Boxers often hug BEFORE the decision comes out. Not as often after. No one likes to lose, but the higher the level wrestler, the more extreme that view becomes. Many reached that level as much, or more, from refusing to lose, than trying to win. Some guys can separate that hatred of losing and the immediate emotions it causes, others just see red.

I think wrestlers should be forced to shake hands and make deep, meaningful eye contact before and after the completion of each period, and double that for overtime.

Define "meaningful." Can't just leave that up to the ref.

Reactions: CumberlandHawk
bp, what on earth is wrong with a beer cart? Especially if attended by a properly attired, well proportioned young lady?
Nothing wrong. just sayin that if the PGA wants to do it right - Go all in - make it fun! Shorts, Beer, Golf Carts, after 9th hole private tents, winter rules, mulligans, and maybe even some smack talk.

Nothing wrong. just sayin that if the PGA wants to do it right - Go all in - make it fun! Shorts, Beer, Golf Carts, after 9th hole private tents, winter rules, mulligans, and maybe even some smack talk.
heck, I worry about the PGA about as much as the NBA. My golf experiences are limited to fundraiser scrambles. Sell more beer, raise more cash!

I think hs and college wrestling does it right with the handshake before and after individual matches. I'm not as sure about both the team handshakes before and after. 4 handshakes is a lot....but perhaps this is the way we all ultimately stay composed and humble in a physical sport such as wrestling.

One thing I am not in favor of at the youth level is shaking hands with the opposing coach/parents after the match. It gets to be too much. Lots of kids seem like they aren't ready emotionally for wrestling in the first place and then they have to go find the hand of the opposition that moments ago was yelling against you like a wildman at a busy matside. Many of the parent coaches (both dads/moms) are not at their best in those moments and depending on the outcome of the match, some are downright psycho. Lots of seemingly good sportsmanship from the winning side, but not so much when a hard fought match doesn't go there way. Like a lot of things in youth sports, this interaction isn't as much about sportsmanship as it is about interjecting the parents into the competition.....the kid did not wrestle the parent, the kid wrestled the other kid. Lets leave it at that. I certainly will shake the hands of the kids that come over to me....but I do not send my kids to the opponent's corner.

Internationally, I have seen the coaches corner handshake pulled off successfully several times with what appears to be genuine sportsmanship.....Japan comes to mind.....Mongolia not so much.

Reactions: pennsylvaniahawkeye
Eff handshakes. Let them go MMA to see who is really tougher. That way you get a wrestling match AND a fight. Fans get their money's worth (everyone loves fights in hockey, right?) and teams either save face or really embarrass their opponent.

It's a win-win. :)

Eff handshakes. Let them go MMA to see who is really tougher. That way you get a wrestling match AND a fight. Fans get their money's worth (everyone loves fights in hockey, right?) and teams either save face or really embarrass their opponent.

It's a win-win. :)
Ok, so that just makes you somebody watching somebody else get beat up, for pleasure. I think that is called sadism, not sport. (Yeah, I see the smiley).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT