ADVERTISEMENT

HappyVeterans Day............!!!

Kwoodhawk

HR Heisman
Feb 11, 2009
Happy Veterans Day to all current and former service members. Thank you for your service.

Don't forget to get some free meals and other freebies. Hy-vee has free breakfast and 15% off groceries.

Ihop, Dunkin, Denny's, Applebee's and lots more offer freebies.

For those who have stood the watch...

AdobeStock_166587745-1160x678.png

Happy Veterans Day to all current and former service members. Thank you for your service.

Don't forget to get some free meals and other freebies. Hy-vee has free breakfast and 15% off groceries.

Ihop, Dunkin, Denny's, Applebee's and lots more offer freebies.

Having spent 24 years in the Army I'm very grateful to still be alive and in one piece. I'm sure that like me, many of you have friends that fell into the "some gave all" category. Such an honor to have served with those who made the ultimate sacrifice to protect our way of life.

34 years for me! I loved it once I departed the plane, but that first step was scary.
Never done it, but was always curious. I periodically fly (as observer) in helicopters for the non-military agency I work for. Most of our pilots have military background. One flight a pilot was explaining autorotation, or Vietnam Landings as some call it. I made the mistake of asking what the drop felt like. He smiled, down we went. My summary - sheer panic for the first couple seconds until the body and brain recalibrated (relativity, terminal velocity), a relatively long period of calm and bliss, then rapidly increasing heart rate as the eyes started to send signals to the brain that the ground was rapidly rising. One experience was sufficient, and it was just a 'play flight'.

And since all I've done is Like other's posts, let me explicity say thanks to all who have served, and my thoughts and well wishes to those individuals and families who may be experiencing any physical or mental trauma from combat.

34 years for me! I loved it once I departed the plane, but that first step was scary.
I'm with you, my friend. I still remember prepping for my first jump at airborne school. The black hats (instructors) drilled us until our brains were fried about good door positioning when jumping out of a C130. However, when the day finally came, if you were the first man out the door you were able to get good door positioning and a solid view to think about all the things that could go wrong, but everyone else was getting chucked out pretty fricking quickly...and all that good door positioning that we'd been taught ad nauseam was right out the window. LOL! One positive to it all was that you didn't have time to think about what could go wrong. One second you're standing up and hooking up, and the next second the line is moving so fast that you don't have time to think much about anything before your knees are in the breeze. And you are correct, that first step was scary. Once you step out and that wind catches you, you feel like you're being flipped around in the air like a rag doll. It's like 2-second amusement park roller coaster ride on steroids. Miss the old days...sometimes. :)

Reactions: AFHawk86
Never done it, but was always curious. I periodically fly (as observer) in helicopters for the non-military agency I work for. Most of our pilots have military background. One flight a pilot was explaining autorotation, or Vietnam Landings as some call it. I made the mistake of asking what the drop felt like. He smiled, down we went. My summary - sheer panic for the first couple seconds until the body and brain recalibrated (relativity, terminal velocity), a relatively long period of calm and bliss, then rapidly increasing heart rate as the eyes started to send signals to the brain that the ground was rapidly rising. One experience was sufficient, and it was just a 'play flight'.

And since all I've done is Like other's posts, let me explicity say thanks to all who have served, and my thoughts and well wishes to those individuals and families who may be experiencing any physical or mental trauma from combat.
Gotta love some of those military pilots. They love doing things like showing us what autorotation feels like and also showing us their skills in nap-of-the-earth flying. It's like they're into watching us non-aviation types either piss ourselves or hurl our most recent meal(s). LOL!

Reactions: Trapper85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT