ADVERTISEMENT

Has a power 5 team ever made the NCAA tourney with 0 wins over other teams in the field of 64?

vacuum_cleaner

All-Conference
Jul 27, 2004
Right now, Hawks have beat 1 borderline NCAA tourney team. They could get to 20 wins and a .500 conference record by winning the remaining games against the conference bottom feeders..Maryland, NW, Nebraska, Penn st, MN.

If Indiana collapses, the Hawks could conceivably get in the NCAA Tourney with 0 wins over other teams that made the tourney.

Obviously this has happened for mid major teams before, but has a power 5 team ever made the dance with 0 wins over other tourney teams?

Seems unlikely this has ever happened.

How about Syracuse? I know they've made the tourney a few times with records like 16-12. I have no idea who they beat those years, but I never thought they belonged in the tourney any of those seasons.

As for Iowa, the Hawkeyes will erase that question Thursday night by taking care of Purdue. It seems like a while since Iowa had a big win at Carver. The Hawkeyes are due.

How about Syracuse? I know they've made the tourney a few times with records like 16-12. I have no idea who they beat those years, but I never thought they belonged in the tourney any of those seasons.

As for Iowa, the Hawkeyes will erase that question Thursday night by taking care of Purdue. It seems like a while since Iowa had a big win at Carver. The Hawkeyes are due.
And then seemingly every year made at least the sweet 16 lol

Without looking. Virginia is not a tournament team this year?

Wow, Utah State has lost 6 of their last 8...

If Purdue keeps it up, they're not gonna be a "big win" either by the end of the season........

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Iowa is currently ranked #20 in NET with 0 Quad 1 wins. As a comparison Texas is ranked #17 with 1 Quad 1 win. I doubt they are bitching about the team's 'NCAA resume' on the Texas board.

A better question might be--has a team with a NET ranking under 30 not made it into the tourney?
I tend to forget from year to year what acronym is now the most important when it comes tournament time. Hawkeye fans been using NET a lot. Is it because it makes us look best right now, or is it the first thing the selection committee looks at?

Iowa is currently ranked #20 in NET with 0 Quad 1 wins. As a comparison Texas is ranked #17 with 1 Quad 1 win. I doubt they are bitching about the team's 'NCAA resume' on the Texas board.

no but they’re in a tougher conference with plenty more opportunities for big wins.

Reactions: BrewHawk
I tend to forget from year to year what acronym is now the most important when it comes tournament time. Hawkeye fans been using NET a lot. Is it because it makes us look best right now, or is it the first thing the selection committee looks at?
Net is the ranking that is used for the tournament.

If we can keep winning games, it will be hard to keep a .500 team from the B1G out of the tournament with the field being as weak overall as it is this year.

Michigan is 38 currently so they could have another chance but they need top 30 for home win. Mich st as well at home this year and Ohio st. on road and Illinois on road. We cannot lose anymore Quad 2 or below and not get any Quad1 wins. Big 10 tourny might be our best option and if it comes down to that i do not like our chances! Beat Purdue Thursday night and no more bad loses i think that could be enough!

Indiana will make the Tournament. The bubble is just so soft. Having a POY candidate will work in the Hawks favor. If the Hawks get 10 conference wins, they're in.

NET is literally the NCAA Evaluation Tool.

Reactions: WadeLookingbill
NET is literally the NCAA Evaluation Tool.
That’s good to know. So why so much attention to all the others still? And correct me if I’m wrong, but the committee doesn’t simply take the the top remaining NET after the automatic bids. If that was the case, why all the hand wringing? Seems the human element, which may or may not be influenced by other rankings and other info, is still part of this.

Are we playing against the refs again?
If so, I wouldn't count on it :(

If we can keep winning games, it will be hard to keep a .500 team from the B1G out of the tournament with the field being as weak overall as it is this year.
Whether you want to call it a "weak" overall field or say that there's a lot of parity in the middle it does boil down to quite a few teams that have overall resumes that are not easy to distinguish from many others. There may be very little separation between teams that end up on the 8-9 line and the teams that are the first four out.

What "bad losses" do we have? ISU thumped us with Keegan returning from injury, but other losses were competitive against good teams. We do need to add some quality wins. A win against at least one of the ranked B1G teams would certainly help.

That’s good to know. So why so much attention to all the others still? And correct me if I’m wrong, but the committee doesn’t simply take the the top remaining NET after the automatic bids. If that was the case, why all the hand wringing? Seems the human element, which may or may not be influenced by other rankings and other info, is still part of this.
Right, which is why having a POY candidate will be helpful.

NCAA EVALUATION TOOL (NET)

The NET is one of many resources/tools available to the committee in the selection, seeding and bracketing process. Computer models cannot accurately evaluate qualitative factors such as games missed by key players or coaches, travel difficulties and other effects of specific games.

Each committee member independently evaluates a vast amount of information during the process to make individual decisions. It is these qualitative, quantitative and subjective opinions -- developed after hours of personal observations, discussion with coaches, directors of athletics and commissioners, and review and comparison of various data -- that each individual ultimately will determine their vote on all issues related to selections, seeding and bracketing.

The NET has two components: the Team Value Index, which is based on game results and factors the result, the game location and outcome. The other component is net efficiency (offensive efficiency minus defensive efficiency), which is adjusted to account for the strength of the opponent and the location of the game.

Due to the later start to the season, the NCAA will release the first official NET rankings in January and will post those daily at www.ncaa.com.

Right now, Hawks have beat 1 borderline NCAA tourney team. They could get to 20 wins and a .500 conference record by winning the remaining games against the conference bottom feeders..Maryland, NW, Nebraska, Penn st, MN.

If Indiana collapses, the Hawks could conceivably get in the NCAA Tourney with 0 wins over other teams that made the tourney.

Obviously this has happened for mid major teams before, but has a power 5 team ever made the dance with 0 wins over other tourney teams?

Seems unlikely this has ever happened.
Tom Davis?

I kid, I kid!

Right, which is why having a POY candidate will be helpful.

NCAA EVALUATION TOOL (NET)

The NET is one of many resources/tools available to the committee in the selection, seeding and bracketing process. Computer models cannot accurately evaluate qualitative factors such as games missed by key players or coaches, travel difficulties and other effects of specific games.

Each committee member independently evaluates a vast amount of information during the process to make individual decisions. It is these qualitative, quantitative and subjective opinions -- developed after hours of personal observations, discussion with coaches, directors of athletics and commissioners, and review and comparison of various data -- that each individual ultimately will determine their vote on all issues related to selections, seeding and bracketing.

The NET has two components: the Team Value Index, which is based on game results and factors the result, the game location and outcome. The other component is net efficiency (offensive efficiency minus defensive efficiency), which is adjusted to account for the strength of the opponent and the location of the game.

Due to the later start to the season, the NCAA will release the first official NET rankings in January and will post those daily at www.ncaa.com.
Thanks for doing my homework for me Wade!

What "bad losses" do we have? ISU thumped us with Keegan returning from injury, but other losses were competitive against good teams. We do need to add some quality wins. A win against at least one of the ranked B1G teams would certainly help.
I wouldn't call rutgers a bad loss, at least as it stands now. But that's also not a "good" loss. Maybe an iffy loss?

Hawks just don't have a great calling card at the moment. The best wins are pretty ho-hum with borderline performers in indy and uva. A win over a true quality team, as long as they remain a quality team through the end of the season, would go a long way if it comes down to having a separation factor between all of the other OK but not great teams that are fighting for a tourney bid.

UVA 7th in ACC...maybe not in ncaa right now, but certainly they still have a chance.

Iowa State 8th in Big12....that beatdown they gave Hawks looks less of a moral victory.
certainly a chance that the uva win could look better come selection time, but they'll need to kick it in gear for that to happen.

I wouldn't call rutgers a bad loss, at least as it stands now. But that's also not a "good" loss. Maybe an iffy loss?

Hawks just don't have a great calling card at the moment. The best wins are pretty ho-hum with borderline performers in indy and uva. A win over a true quality team, as long as they remain a quality team through the end of the season, would go a long way if it comes down to having a separation factor between all of the other OK but not great teams that are fighting for a tourney bid.
True, if they can juuuuust get 1 win over Purdue or MSU things are looking very good. Hopefully not waiting for the Big Ten Tourney to get that signature win.

True, if they can juuuuust get 1 win over Purdue or MSU things are looking very good. Hopefully not waiting for the Big Ten Tourney to get that signature win.
And no losses to Nebraska, Maryland , Penn st. ,Northwestern. Could lose 1 of last 3 but need a Quad1 win or 2 to makeup for it. A loss to Nebraska would be devasting without any Quad1 wins!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT