ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone done an Ancestry DNA test and gotten a major surprise??

BrianNole777

HR All-American
Jan 27, 2023
I did mine a bunch of years ago and found out I am 1% black. (Nigeria, bitches.)

This was shocking because I'm a very white ginger. I'm proud of my new diversity, though.

I narrowed it down to my deceased Grandmother who lived to age 102. She was from the South and would have been flabbergasted that she was 4% black. She wasn't exactly politically correct, if you catch my drift.

Has anyone else gotten a DNA test surprise? Did you find out you had any brothers or sisters you didn't know about?

Do share.

I was surprided by the lack of surprises. Blond, blue eyes...well grayish now) German English. Typical small town Iowagian of my vintage

My report a few years ago said I had an ancestor from Peru 4 generations ago. It’s so odd because my wife has done extensive genealogy research and nothing points to that. I can’t help but think there must have been an adoption somewhere along the line.
We adopted our dog from a Bichon adoptive agency and they identified him as a Bichon. I knew better. 65% small poodle, 15% pekenese. 12% Shih Tzu, 8% super mutt. We don’t care of course, but so may people ask what he is that I wanted to be able to tell them. Most say he looks like their Bichon, which tickles me a little.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Major surprise, I don’t know if this is.

I have some Neanderthal blood in me. The results said I more than likely have heavy ear wax. I do.

After dad's death, we also learned that we have a half-sister from dad's cheating on mom. Who knows what the "major surprise" was that was in my sister's DNA. I really don't want to know.
Totally understand that mindset. I had a friend of a friend find out his dad had 3 other kids while having an affair on his mother for 20 years, essentially a whole other family... they were blindsided and the dad had passed on so a lot of unanswered questions for mom, siblings and himself. He said he wishes he wouldn't have known and the sister did the ancestry thing as a Christmas present. Needless to say I would rather not know as well.

After dad's death, we also learned that we have a half-sister from dad's cheating on mom. Who knows what the "major surprise" was that was in my sister's DNA. I really don't want to know.
Myself and two siblings did Ancestry and a 1/2 sister appeared. With research and a few answered questions by this person we determined Ancestry contaminated the samples somehow as age and location made it impossible….

I did mine a bunch of years ago and found out I am 1% black. (Nigeria, bitches.)

This was shocking because I'm a very white ginger. I'm proud of my new diversity, though.

I narrowed it down to my deceased Grandmother who lived to age 102. She was from the South and would have been flabbergasted that she was 4% black. She wasn't exactly politically correct, if you catch my drift.

Has anyone else gotten a DNA test surprise? Did you find out you had any brothers or sisters you didn't know about?

Do share.
You do know they data mine you for disease susceptibility right? Just saying.

A buddy deduced that he was conceived in vitro, and had literally scores of half siblings come out of the woodwork as there had been a prolific donor at usc.

You do know they data mine you for disease susceptibility right? Just saying.
Plus they are just statistical inferences. It's like profiling on a DNA level.

"these tests can be fascinating, and can present the vast diversity of humanity's genetic history, we should be wary of what these results really tell us. "Saying you are 30 percent East Asian or Celtic is just a statistical inference about your genome and hardly reflects your real ancestry,"

Do share.
Just did it trying to find my adopted mom’s family.

I got a 93% with a circle over Scotland and Ireland. 7% Scandinavian, which I'm guessing comes from the Vikings invading Scotland and Ireland 1000 years ago.

My cousin, who's actually a double (her dad is my dad's younger brother, her mom is my mom's younger sister) did a genealogy thing. She tracked our grandparents back into the 1100s in Scotland. ALL of them were Scottish, like even tracking the mother's sides all the way back. She found no ancestors born anywhere but Scotland, on either side. So when I tell people I'm Scottish, I'm underselling it.

And FTR, my grandfather's (paternal) family is from Stobo in Peebleshire, grandma's is from East Kilbride in Lanarkshire, grandpa's (mom's side) is from Stirling in Stirlingshire and Grandma's is from Culloden in Inverness.

Alba gu bràth!
Non Oblitus

My mother in law, no pics, was told her whole life that she was part Native American. She always had dream catchers all over her house and decorated with that mindset. She really embraced that part. She's 70 and found out like 2 years ago that she has no native American blood whatsoever. It was pretty funny to the whole family because she's crazy.

Also, not through DNA, but I did have a surprise. My name ends with an E. I've always been told that if it was an I it would be polish. If it was a Y it would be Russian but since it is an E it's German. Well, my cousin did some research and she found paperwork showing that it was always spelled with an I up to a certain point in time where there was a birth certificate that had messy writing and the I looked like an E and everything after that had an E at the end. Idk how that worked but it was a surprise to me.

Do share.
I’m adopted. It turned up my half siblings and biological parents.

My mother in law, no pics, was told her whole life that she was part Native American. She always had dream catchers all over her house and decorated with that mindset. She really embraced that part. She's 70 and found out like 2 years ago that she has no native American blood whatsoever. It was pretty funny to the whole family because she's crazy.

Also, not through DNA, but I did have a surprise. My name ends with an E. I've always been told that if it was an I it would be polish. If it was a Y it would be Russian but since it is an E it's German. Well, my cousin did some research and she found paperwork showing that it was always spelled with an I up to a certain point in time where there was a birth certificate that had messy writing and the I looked like an E and everything after that had an E at the end. Idk how that worked but it was a surprise to me.
Elizabeth Warren is your mom in law?

Do share.

Found out I was black from the waist down. Wasn’t really much of a surprise though.

I wasn't too surprised at the results. I''m also a small percentage African, but shouldn't everyone be? I mean science shows that is where humans started.

I didn't realize Scandavians and their descent have such a high rate of mid-range cancers.

A buddy deduced that he was conceived in vitro, and had literally scores of half siblings come out of the woodwork as there had been a prolific donor at usc.

5a920b2db3e398abc8b4faec619655c1.jpg

The native American "princess" myth is very common in many families and is often untrue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT