ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone done an Ancestry DNA test and gotten a major surprise??

Pretty crazy for my family. My parents had theirs run two years ago and my dad came to find out his father was clearly not his biological dad. Was able trace it back to another family and two possible men who were his father, long since deceased like his parents. It was pretty tough on him because all parties who know any of this are deceased.

He tried reaching out to some cousins but never really heard back. It was a bit tough on him. Because of it, I now know I am 70 percent Irish. Explains a lot!!

A good friend’s parents got divorced 5-7 years ago. Recently he did an ancestral search and when he got the results they didn’t make sense. Mom came clean and told him his dad wasn’t his real dad. Dad that raised him knew before he was born the kid wasn’t his (infidelity) and raised him like his own anyway.

PLOT TWIST

Who is his real dad you may wonder? Well he happened to be his mom’s new boyfriend at the time!

Even better was my friend and his wife later discovered through the testing and research that their grandmothers grew up across the street from each other in Indiana.

• Wow
Reactions: BrianNole777
My wife did one and found her biological dad that she grew up from less than 20 miles away. The amount of connections to her father without even knowing is pretty crazy. Like 1 to 2 degree separation is pretty insane. Took just over 40 years before she found him all because of ancestry.com

I did mine a bunch of years ago and found out I am 1% black. (Nigeria, bitches.)

This was shocking because I'm a very white ginger. I'm proud of my new diversity, though.

I narrowed it down to my deceased Grandmother who lived to age 102. She was from the South and would have been flabbergasted that she was 4% black. She wasn't exactly politically correct, if you catch my drift.

Has anyone else gotten a DNA test surprise? Did you find out you had any brothers or sisters you didn't know about?

Do share.
Never, ever wood. Friend did. Just found out he has 40 year old son. Said son didn't reach out to him, but to his daughters.

No surprises.

Northwestern European - 48.1%
  • British & Irish 27.2%
  • French & German 11.0%
  • Broadly Northwestern European 9.9%
Eastern European - 43.5%
  • Poland/Ukraine/Russia/Slovakia/Hungary
    • Traced my father's side back to Slovakia region; "Rusyns" was the name of the people from that area
Southern European - 4%
  • Greek - 2.7%
  • Italian - 1.1%
Broadly European - 3.8%

Trace Ancestry - .6%

• Senegambian/Guinean - .3%
  • Manchurian/Mongolian - .2%
  • North African - .1%

Wow.

Did you contact them?
I spoke via email to the dad.I think we just wanted to know we were both doing okay in life. Only a handful of emails, and I haven't reached back out in over a year. No animosity or anything like that, just not at a point in my life where I want to pursue anything further. Could be something I regret but at this point ikn time, i'm just not there yet. Tough to explain

A little surprised by the origin information. I'm about 60% German and 30% Swedish, wasn't counting on the Swedish part. The rest is a mix of English and other various honky.

Reactions: Moral
I found out through my great grandfather’s obituary that I’m a descendent of Capt. Abel Moore. Two of his young sons were killed during the Wood River Indian Massacre of 1814. Those were dangerous days for all people in the young United States.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT