ADVERTISEMENT

Hat tip to Ben & PMac, the whipping boys, who really stepped up tonight

Absolutely love it…..personally I still struggle with Patrick. Krikke has earned his playing time imo. About a month ago RnR who I think has me on ignore was saying we need Brauns more than Krikke. I called him out and he has yet to reply to me and disappeared for a couple weeks is now back among the living. This team needs Krikke without a doubt.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Absolutely love it…..personally I still struggle with Patrick. Krikke has earned his playing time imo. About a month ago RnR who I think has me on ignore was saying we need Brauns more than Krikke. I called him out and he has yet to reply to me and disappeared for a couple weeks is now back among the living. This team needs Krikke without a doubt.

Definitely a different team with Krikke and PMac playing well. A pretty solid team when those two add to the contributions.

Freeman was very effective tonight when he was in, unfortunately it felt like less than five minutes.

I was trying to find the post where someone combined thier stats from last game blasting them but couldn’t find it. Great stats tonight!
That was me.

Why? Its the end of February. Where was this rebounding two months ago?

I got no problem giving Krikke props for getting after it on the boards finally.

It's probably too little too late.

PMac coming off the bench was a good move made by Fran

That was me.

Why? Its the end of February. Where was this rebounding two months ago?

I got no problem giving Krikke props for getting after it on the boards finally.

It's probably too little too late.
Well then why don’t you post Dix Freeman stats for this game and blast away!

Definitely a different team with Krikke and PMac playing well. A pretty solid team when those two add to the contributions.

Freeman was very effective tonight when he was in, unfortunately it felt like less than five minutes.

Your guess of 5 min was close. Owen played just 8 minutes tonight. He was 3-3 FGs, 2-2 FTs, for 8 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 block.

Krikke has been mostly not good in conference.

He usually gives up as much as he scores on his good days and the good days haven't been frequent.

I wish today was anything close to the norm but it has not been.

Yeah, it was dumb hyperbole to say that Iowa would be better off without them. But at that point I was sick of watching bad basketball from upperclassman and just wanted to see the young guys play.

Reactions: NI hawk and nelly02
I’ve been hugely critical of KRIKKE, but he played like a senior tonight and fought hard for some rebounds. I thought PMac played well, he’s really playing within himself and not pushing it where it’s not available. And his defense has improved.

Well then why don’t you post Dix Freeman stats for this game and blast away!

Perhaps Fran is doing what a coach is supposed to do and told Krikke his effort on the boards hadn't been good enough and that motivated Ben to play harder? This is discussion board. A PF that is only averaging 4.6 boards seems subpar especially at Iowa's tempo. Payton is shorter, playing SF at times, is averaging 6.4 is less minutes per game. Clearly Payton plays/tries harder.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Perhaps Fran is doing what a coach is supposed to do and told Krikke his effort on the boards hadn't been good enough and that motivated Ben to play harder? This is discussion board. A PF that is only averaging 4.6 boards seems subpar especially at Iowa's tempo. Payton is shorter, playing SF at times, is averaging 6.4 is less minutes per game. Clearly Payton plays/tries harder.
I think so.

It's funny how losing some PT makes guys play harder.

His rebounding and defensive effort have improved noticeably.

Because they've been really good on the year and they're underclassmen not 5th year seniors.

They're also the two best defenders on the team.
So they do things that don’t necessarily show up in the stats. Do you think Freeman only playing 8 minutes had anything to do with Ben getting more rebounds? Pat and Ben (on most nights) give just about what we should expect from them. Neither has ever been a rebounding machine.. To say they don’t/ can’t contribute and should not play ahead of Pryce or Ladj I would have to disagree.

So they do things that don’t necessarily show up in the stats. Do you think Freeman only playing 8 minutes had anything to do with Ben getting more rebounds? Pat and Ben (on most nights) give just about what we should expect from them. Neither has ever been a rebounding machine.. To say they don’t/ can’t contribute and should not play ahead of Pryce or Ladj I would have to disagree.
Well Dembele is the backup 5, he'll usually have to play as many minutes as his fouls allow which isn't a ton right now.

Not sure where the Pryce comment comes from?

I think that Krikke rebounding better tonight was a result of effort a little more opportunity and probably some lucky bounces.

You should absolutely expect a 5th year senior post player to rebound. He did above and beyond tonight.

If Iowa has any shot at the tournament he has to give that kind of effort all the time and worry less about avoiding fouls.

I think so.

It's funny how losing some PT makes guys play harder.

His rebounding and defensive effort have improved noticeably.

Saw Fran's post game interview that Franisdan quotes above. Fran did some coaching and got more out of Krikke which some fans also wanted to see. Some fans apparently were quite happy with subpar rebounding but not Fran.

14 boards when you're averaging 4.6 is exceptional effort. MSU 3 post guys were kind of stiffs---we somehow need to rebound better vs Illinois and NW,

Reactions: RocknRollface
Full text of the tweet:

Patrick McCaffery said that he lost roughly 8-12 pounds in less than three weeks earlier this season due to illness. Upon returning, he sprained his ankle so badly that it swelled to the size of a baseball.

Has now embraced his role coming off the bench. Averaging 11 points over the last six games:

"I don’t care if I start. I don’t care if I come off the bench. I just want to have an impact on winning."

65 minutes and 0 fouls?? That’s almost hard to believe.
Was it a better game yes but this should be Patrick’s baseline stats at this point as a 6’9” senior.
But the 0 fouls in that amount of time explains a lot about our defensive philosophy and effort.

Reactions: NI hawk
Well Dembele is the backup 5, he'll usually have to play as many minutes as his fouls allow which isn't a ton right now.

Not sure where the Pryce comment comes from?

I think that Krikke rebounding better tonight was a result of effort a little more opportunity and probably some lucky bounces.

You should absolutely expect a 5th year senior post player to rebound. He did above and beyond tonight.

If Iowa has any shot at the tournament he has to give that kind of effort all the time and worry less about avoiding fouls.
Why would you expect a 5th year senior to become a “rebounder” when they never have been? The Pryce comment comes from if you want no more Ben or Pat (like you said) it would have to mean more minutes for Ladj and Pryce.

Yeah Krikke got some mean physical rebounds tonight and it made a huge difference. The team as a whole needs to recognize that we don't have much jumping ability, we can't afford to ballwatch or assume it's going to go in. Assume it's going to come off the rim and get the ball, or at least it tip it to a teammate. We tipped a lot of would-be put-backs out of MSU hands tonight. If MSU hadn't shot so well from 3, they would've been blown out.

Reactions: kceasthawk
All day yesterday I was wondering who might step up to "help" the big 4 - Freeman, Dix, PS and Perk. Then we go and have a game when Freeman, Dix and Perk didn't have great nights, and the Hawks win a big one on the backs of Krikke and PMac. Go figure.

We had a really good all-around team effort last night. Tony was not quite on his game and Freeman had foul trouble. We desperately needed some guys to step up to fill the void. BK and Pmac came through in the clutch and secured a huge win for us. If we keep this level of play going, this team can defeat anyone in the league not named Purdue. I wouldn't have said this a couple of weeks but I'm saying it now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT