ADVERTISEMENT

Have you guys ever eaten at a fine dining restaurant or work in one?

BigAssTurkeyLeg

HB MVP
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2021
Just curious if anyone here is into the whole “fine dining”/ “chef” scene.

Iowa is on the rise in the culinary world but had another rough year in terms of James Beard nominees. Just Chris Hoffman of Clyde’s Fine Diner made the initial cut this year

Do any of you guys like to check out the finer things in life and eat at these kind of restaurants?

Ever been to any Michelin star places in Chicago, New York, Europe etc.?

I'll pay decent money for good food and a good portion. What does drive me nuts though is I've noticed some restaurants adding an ingredient that is unusual to a dish just to charge you out the ass. For instance I love jambalaya but I once saw it on a menu for $40 just because the place adds mussels to it.

In the last year I have been to 4 noteworthy places

The Little Inn at Washington, rural Northern Virginia—Michelin 3 Star. Wedding. 7 courses.

Central—Lima Peru, currently #1 on Worlds top 50. It was a 14 course, 3.5 hour meal.

Mayta—Lima Peru, top 50. 9 courses. 2.5 hours.

Astrid y Gaston—Lima Peru. Godfather of modern Peruvian cuisine. 9 courses.

The food in Lima is the best I’ve found.

In the last year I have been to 4 noteworthy places

The Little Inn at Washington, rural Northern Virginia—Michelin 3 Star. Wedding. 7 courses.

Central—Lima Peru, currently #1 on Worlds top 50. It was a 14 course, 3.5 hour meal.

Mayta—Lima Peru, top 50. 9 courses. 2.5 hours.

Astrid y Gaston—Lima Peru. Godfather of modern Peruvian cuisine. 9 courses.

The food in Lima is the best I’ve found.

How much did they cost each?

Not all are 3 starts and expensive. We have 20 some in Chicago.
Chicago and New York are probably the only two cities in the US that legit deserve the ranking to be honest. I took my Wife to Chicago for the first time(she’s born and raised Tampa Bay) and she was amazed at the quality of the restaurants I took her too. Chicago is world class dining imo.

Chicago and New York are probably the only two cities in the US that legit deserve the ranking to be honest. I took my Wife to Chicago for the first time(she’s born and raised Tampa Bay) and she was amazed at the quality of the restaurants I took her too. Chicago is world class dining imo.

You tell her I said hi?

I’ve been to 44 Michelin star restaurants.
I’ve probably been to 20 and have disappointed at least 15. Hate the “tasting menus”.
Last time in florence went to a 3 star.
Had a asparagus and something foam on a piece of cheese for app. Second course was a frickin sea urchin on pasta. Main was a pork belly that was mostly fat.
Desert was a decent lemon thing but about the size of a quarter. Bill $220/person. Guessing wine was another $100pp.

• Haha
Reactions: Uniformed_ReRe
Really?

I’ve probably been to 20 and have disappointed at least 15. Hate the “tasting menus”.
Last time in florence went to a 3 star.
Had a asparagus and something foam on a piece of cheese for app. Second course was a frickin sea urchin on pasta. Main was a pork belly that was mostly fat.
Desert was a decent lemon thing but about the size of a quarter. Bill $220/person. Guessing wine was another $100pp.

Tasting menus are hit and miss for me. I hated Alinea the first time I went but I went back a second time and it was much better.

The Bay Area has a lot of great restaurants.

Reactions: BrianNole777
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT