ADVERTISEMENT

Have you guys ever eaten at a fine dining restaurant or work in one?

Just curious if anyone here is into the whole “fine dining”/ “chef” scene.

Iowa is on the rise in the culinary world but had another rough year in terms of James Beard nominees. Just Chris Hoffman of Clyde’s Fine Diner made the initial cut this year

Do any of you guys like to check out the finer things in life and eat at these kind of restaurants?

Ever been to any Michelin star places in Chicago, New York, Europe etc.?
Why would you waste your time in a Michelin star restaurant???

I bought a 5-star chef and staff and they travel with me on the jet & yacht. Chef usually goes a a day or two ahead to source the main ingredients. He’s out skin diving right now for fresh conch fritters and I’ll meet him in Eleuthera tomorrow.

PS - OP’s Mom loves conch fritters

Never worked in fine dining.

Been to a handful of fine dining restaurants. French Laundry for a Napa vaca and, if it counts, Minetta Tavern for a work trip were the best I’ve been too.

But all things being equal, I’d probably prefer a slice from Joe’s or a steak from Keens.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Usually in Vegas at a conference if a vendor is paying. We ate a steakhouse in Mandalay Bay. It was like $1400 for 6 of us. I never get steak at those places. I always do seafood.

I don't think Flemings is "high end" but their seafood tower appetizer was $135. We ate at Mott 32 in the Venetian and they had a Whole Dried Abalone (16 heads) for $600. I don't even know what the F that is

Last edited:
Usually in Vegas at a conference if a vendor is paying. We ate a steakhouse in Mandalay Bay. It was like $1400 for 6 of us. I never get steak at those places. I always do seafood.

I don't think Flemings is "high end" but their seafood tower appetizer was $135. We ate at Mott 32 in the Venetian and they had a Whole Dried Abalone (16 heads) for $600. I don't even know what the F that is

Do you gamble in Vegas?

You win or lose?

Smyth in Chicago.

$495 a person. (The things we do for women)

8 courses.

Amazing/Life changing food.

I encourage everyone to spend the $$$ on a 3 Michelin star restaurant once in their lives.
I did an event one time at the restaurant I used to work at where the chefs from Smyth came and cooked with us and we collaborated on a small tasting menu.

Their food was absolutely phenomenal and the chefs there are super cool people for the most part.

Not enough to get anything comp'd so no. We usually go for the atmosphere. We're staying downtown in September for NFL weekend. Got a spot a Stadium Swim at Circa for the Eagles game!!

Could you kill a hooker in Vegas and get away with it?

Craftsteak in vegas is top 10 in my book.
There are several legit steakhouses in every major US city. I’ve had lunch and dinner at tons of them, and while they’re always good, none of them stand out because steak isn’t fine dining, it’s extremely simple and easy to make.

Yes I ate at a restaurant at the Burj Al Arab, the sailboat hotel, in Dubai, and one in Melbourne, Australia. Both averaged about 1600 usd per person. Was it spectacular? Dunno but the amuse bouche was fun and the lady would remove any crumbs between courses with what looked like a modified toothbrush.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianNole777
Smyth in Chicago.

$495 a person. (The things we do for women)

8 courses.

Amazing/Life changing food.

I encourage everyone to spend the $$$ on a 3 Michelin star restaurant once in their lives.
I've been to several restaurants here in Nashville where the bill topped $500 for two of us - Catbird Seat, Bastion, The Chef and I - but not $500 a person. That's crazy.

Not enough to get anything comp'd so no. We usually go for the atmosphere. We're staying downtown in September for NFL weekend. Got a spot a Stadium Swim at Circa for the Eagles game!!
On my bucket list - Swim at Circa for a Hawkeyes game and then a Chiefs game the same weekend.

Venetian- We did Delmonico's way back in the day. It was fabulous.

Reactions: fredjr82
I've been to several restaurants here in Nashville where the bill topped $500 for two of us - Catbird Seat, Bastion, The Chef and I - but not $500 a person. That's crazy.
Go to Dubai. Makes the rest look like amateur hour.

Have I eaten at expensive bougie restaurants? lol, of course. I’m an adult.

You'd be surprised. I work with a lot of country folk turned business people and with some of them you get the impression that all of their dining out experience is with dive restaurants and country buffets. I remember one time on a road trip with some coworkers we stopped at a decently nice steak house for dinner. The country boys in the car liked the idea of getting steak but were very vocal about not wanting to go to a fancy place which they felt this place would be.

After sitting down, one guy went to get up to go to the bathroom and I told him to be prepared to see a bathroom attendant and the dude turned around, sat back down and sighed "nevermind I'll wait". It was like they were offended by nice things and any time they saw something nice they would give each other a look and an eye roll.

The restaurant had a prime rib special so they both ordered that. When the prime rib hit the table they both looked at each other and said something about "place this nice you'd think they'd actually cook the steak for ya" because the prime rib was pink. Both the waiter and I tried to explain prime rib to them and they both insisted he take their prime rib back and cook it thoroughly. Then they said the steak sucked after digging into their grey prime rib. "It's tough and dry". Yeah no #$##.

Their takeaway to this day is that the place sucked and fancy places are a waste of money.

Reactions: flyfishstout_CO
I did the Italian inspired tasting menu at Travail up in Minneapolis and I'd definitely do it again.

Any suggestions for San Francisco?

Was there in December and thought Rintaro was excellent Japanese and Mister Jiu's was terrific Chinese and if that's not available, the Moongate Lounge is their cocktail bar - with some food - that is above the space that is also excellent.

Reactions: Inthecircle
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT