ADVERTISEMENT

Have you personally noticed an increase in Anti-Jewish hate since the Israeli-Gaza war?

BrianNole777

HR All-American
Jan 27, 2023
I've been reading news stories and Reddit and it seems like anti-semitism has exploded the last few months.

I'm reading stories of how dozens of Jewish people seem scared and are discussing if they should leave the United States. I didn't realize it was that bad but I may be clueless.

I live near Washington D.C. with a huge Jewish population and most of my friends are Jews. I haven't asked them personally but none have told me they feel unsafe.

I was 2 miles from the Air Force member that lit himself on fire last week in front of the Israeli Embassy while screaming "Free Palestine!!!"

Have you noticed an uptick of anti-semitism in your work or social circles? Any pro-Palestinian protests?

I know Iowa is Uber Conservative so I assume it's less than other places.

CSB.

I work with a youth group and middle school kids started coming up to me after October 7th asking whose side should they be on? Are both sides bad? These are arguably benign comments but demonstrate how children are not being taught who our allies are around the world.

High school crowd definitely starts to show signs of Tik-Tok style propaganda seeping into their heads when they make mindless comments about “Free Palestine” but they cannot provide one statement to support why they think that way.

Seems like a left leaning group of idiots That have no idea other than it must be fun to say free Palestine.

I work with a youth group and middle school kids started coming up to me after October 7th asking whose side should they be on? Are both sides bad? These are arguably benign comments but demonstrate how children are not being taught who our allies are around the world.

High school crowd definitely starts to show signs of Tik-Tok style propaganda seeping into their heads when they make mindless comments about “Free Palestine” but they cannot provide one statement to support why they think that way.

Apparently anti-semitism is out of control on elite college campuses which is ironic since they have many Jewish students.

No. There aren't many Jewish people in my neck of the woods so no, I haven't noticed it at all. Well, outside of crazy social media posts. I've noticed it there.

Honestly, I've never understood why there are people who hate Jews so much. I just never understood why people can be antisemitic and whether or not someone is Jewish never even crosses my mind when I'm talking with someone.

No. There aren't many Jewish people in my neck of the woods so no, I haven't noticed it at all. Well, outside of crazy social media posts. I've noticed it there.

Honestly, I've never understood why there are people who hate Jews so much. I just never understood why people can be antisemitic and whether or not someone is Jewish never even crosses my mind when I'm talking with someone.

Have the people around you been talking about it?

I've been reading news stories and Reddit and it seems like anti-semitism has exploded the last few months.

I'm reading stories of how dozens of Jewish people seem scared and are discussing if they should leave the United States. I didn't realize it was that bad but I may be clueless.

I live near Washington D.C. with a huge Jewish population and most of my friends are Jews. I haven't asked them personally but none have told me they feel unsafe.

I was 2 miles from the Air Force member that lit himself on fire last week in front of the Israeli Embassy while screaming "Free Palestine!!!"

Have you noticed an uptick of anti-semitism in your work or social circles? Any pro-Palestinian protests?

CSB.

@Jimmy McGill hates a Jew or two.

My son works part time at a liquor store while he's going to school. He found a bunch of anti-semetic fliers scattered all over the parking lot one night. Brought some home to show us, really disgusting stuff complete w websites to go to.

No. I work on the UI campus.

There was some emotional manifestos taped around campus early in the newest phase of the conflict and I'm sure there are demonstrations I'm not aware of, but generally I've heard almost zero opinions on the subject. Those I have have been pretty boilerplate, "that's a terrible situation".

CSB.

I haven't noticed an uptick in antisemitism, but I have noticed an uptick in rednecks supporting Israel. I don't think they know that's where Jewish people come from.

Bullshit. I want the Israel population to thrive. I just don't want them to continue to kill.

Your post says everything I need to know about you.
My gawd you’re wound so tight. I was joking.

Your post tells me everything I need to know about you.

I’ve seen more anti-Semitic graffiti out in public.

One of our Wednesday morning breakfast club members is President of his Temple Council and he said they’ve seen an uptick in graffiti and verbal and written threats. That’s here in the QC.

Yeah. I get that. White trash. No empathy for the women and children that Bibi is targeting.

Both sides are insane

I debated for hours in Iraq with residents on how stupid the shia / sunni issue was.

It has been awhile since I heard this song:

If you are a son of Moses, you can join the crooked noses,
Fight, Fight for Palestine.

If your hair is black and wavy, you can join the Jewish Navy,
Fight, Fight for Palestine.

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777
Have the people around you been talking about it?
Antisemitism? No. It's not something anyone really deals with on a daily basis so it's never a topic of conversation. It also isn't something that ever comes up with the one Jewish person I do work with. We aren't good enough friends to get into those types of conversations.

"noticed" as in walking around in my daily life? No. I did notice a young man stop to help an elderly lady load groceries into her car in the HEB parking lot this past weekend, though. Not sure if either were Pakistani or Jewish, though. ;)

CSB.

Only in a general sense, but not at a personal level. I tend to think it's been a bit of a bloody shirt to wave in response to Palestinian protests here at home. That said, one of my closer work colleagues is Jewish, and he is not a chicken little kind of guy, and he told me that his personal concerns have risen just enough to make him consider getting a weapons permit.

This morning I was having a coffee and the bulletin board had a thing for women's history month to list a woman who has inspired you. One name that jumped to my mind was my undergraduate Russian advisor, the late Helen Segall. Helen was an incredibly formidable woman who survived the Nazis, the Russians, and the Ukrainians as a Polish Jew, and once told me that after her experience in the camps and ghettos, she had resolved to never, ever, let anyone tell her what to do, for the rest of her life. And she lived that, in a very cheerful and disarming way. (Memories of her going through soviet customs with an entire suitcase full of Marlboros to use as black market currency spring to mind.) Helen passed away a few years back (heart attack swimming in a lake, god love her), but you can find her extensive, horrifying, and extraordinary oral history interview online.

Last edited:
Reactions: torbee

CSB.

Only online and on TV. But I don't associate with people heavily driven by politics in real life.

CSB.

I'm wondering how the term "anti-semitism" became the term for anti-jewish or anti-hebrew because there are other semites in the world, including Arabs. That said, I was around when Israel was founded and was happy when it was recognized as a country.

Significant increase.

The Palestinians have always blamed all Jews regardless of citizenship. Their supporters in this country do the same.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT