ADVERTISEMENT

Hawk women's fast pace brings memories of Miller, Olson, and Dr Tom's teams

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
Just following up on the Ralph Miller Smile on his Face thread. Last night's Iowa Women's performance include a lot of fast break action that made me remember the great teams of Miller, Lute, and Dr Tom. Those teams were great rebounding teams who could really outlet pass the ball, they had great guards like Brown, Calabria, Vidnovic, Lester, Arnold, BJ, Marble, etc. As posters have said, to see Miller's team get a rebound by Jensen or Mcgilmer (spelling?) or Johnson get a rebound and outlet it to streaking guards then getting the layup in a matter of seconds without a dribble was an amazing display of Bball. I saw Dr Tom's first or second year's team play Drake at Vet's and was just amazed how quickly they could get the ball down to Moe or another shooter in the corner or to get a layup. And Dr Tom always had the delayed fast break pass to the trailing shooters ready to splash in a 3 ptr.

And Lester was one of the greatest ball handling guards and quickest that I have ever seen live. Lester had a lot of great teammates around him and Kenny Arnold was also a very good guard to drive the fast break. You all know how good this final four team was and of course Miller's 1970 team was a last second tip in from probable final four and Dr Tom was a bucket or two away also.

Last night Clark was not only putting on a shooting show but her dribbling and passing was great as also. Now some might say Minny wasnt a good team but they are good D1 athletes that should be able to play pretty good defense but they were just getting their heads spun in a circle by Iowa's fast action. And it was so good to see all the players shooting so great.

I said in another thread that CC looks more relaxed. They were all moving well, passing well, shooting well. Maybe...just maybe they are all glad the record chase is over and they can all go out and just hoop!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT