ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye softball

hawkaholic

HR MVP
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2002
I see we started 0 - 3 in the BIG this past weekend at Indiana. Gave up 24 runs in three games.

Yup, pretty much our standard start to a season. I had someone that follows Iowa Softball pretty closely and they said we would be lucky to hit 15 wins this season. My initial response to this was "BS". Now I'm thinking he might be right.

Reactions: beahawk
Yeah not the start I was hoping for in the Big ten. On a side note. Kirkwood Coach Joe Yegge just got his 400th win. Wonder how he would do as Iowa's coach.. Can't be worse then Looper right now.

Last edited:
I'm not normally someone who says "don't play (insert in-state rival here) because we have nothing to gain" but I'm almost glad the Drake game got postponed. And I'd be OK if they just canceled it.

Seriously though....8-18 at Iowa is unacceptable. Blevins proved that you could win at Iowa, or at the very least be competitive. And their 8-18 record is misleading. They have played a terribly weak schedule, pitiful really.
They are playing a mid-level D1 schedule....like Western Illinois, or Northern Illinois would play.....and still losing!

It's time for a change at the top in Iowa softball

OldHawk

They beat Texas and Hawaii, Granted they have not played well, but they are fairly young. I am a huge Iowa fan in all sports but have a spot in my heart for softball since I coach and my Daughter plays it. I am not a Looper fan, but she is who we have.. Hopefully the girls will develop and start to get better. 8-18 is definitely not acceptable. I wish Iowa was like LSU or Alabama, they want to be great at every sport they have.. They invest in them, I feel like Iowa softball is an after thought for the sports program. So they are ok with them being bad. I hope I am wrong but it sure seems like it. I am guessing 10-15 wins total is gonna be the watermark for this team. They will not beat Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri or UNI, Not sure how they will do against Wisky, Illinois, Northwestern.. they can and should beat Purdue, ISU maybe Drake so that is where i think they might get the wins.. Already lost to Indiana.

Looking at the B10 stats, PU's numbers are much better than ours. OTOH NW went into Ann Arbor and beat the Meatchickens 13-12, so I suppose there's hope.

Lost to Purdue Friday and Saturday. 0-5 so far in BIG. Maybe we can get a win over Purdue today. Getting to 15 wins may be tough.

They beat Texas and Hawaii, Granted they have not played well, but they are fairly young. I am a huge Iowa fan in all sports but have a spot in my heart for softball since I coach and my Daughter plays it. I am not a Looper fan, but she is who we have.. Hopefully the girls will develop and start to get better. 8-18 is definitely not acceptable. I wish Iowa was like LSU or Alabama, they want to be great at every sport they have.. They invest in them, I feel like Iowa softball is an after thought for the sports program. So they are ok with them being bad. I hope I am wrong but it sure seems like it. I am guessing 10-15 wins total is gonna be the watermark for this team. They will not beat Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri or UNI, Not sure how they will do against Wisky, Illinois, Northwestern.. they can and should beat Purdue, ISU maybe Drake so that is where i think they might get the wins.. Already lost to Indiana.

No one is asking them to be LSU or Alabama.

As you stated: they will not beat UNI. That's more of the problem.

No one is asking them to be LSU or Alabama.

As you stated: they will not beat UNI. That's more of the problem.

No shit. Right now I would settle simply for not being the worst program in the state. Hard to believe that less than one recruiting cycle ago, this program was a consistent high 30s to 40+ game winners per season, an annual top-3 B1G finisher and an annual NCAA regional qualifier. I've never seen an AD gut a 30 year successful program as quickly as the folks in the administrative suite at CHA has the Iowa Softball program. Disgusting.

Well i guess my predictions were off. We will struggle to beat anyone this year. I am not saying the softball team needs to be like LSU or Bama, I wish the whole sports programs would approach all sports like they do. They want to win in all sports and the sports program drives that by supporting it, investing in it and trying to set them up for success. Seems like that does not happen at Iowa. becoming the bottom feeders in the big ten will not help Iowa recruit anyone, and it is a vicious cycle when you get into that. keep losing no recruiting.

OK, who saw those 3 HRs by Wood and Erickson coming? ;) Good to get at least one game from the series, though the schedule gets tougher from here on. Hard to see many more B10 wins, unless Starkenburg can get back to form and the new-found power bats keep producing.

Ibarra played the entire series at SS, anybody hear what happened to Taylor? She was one of 3 .300+ hitters on the team, hope she's not lost.

As for UNI, they're suddenly looking very beatable, being swept at home over the weekend.

UNI is 24-11 and Iowa is 9-21, so yes UNI did drop a couple this weekend but they are far from "very beatable" Especially by this Iowa team. we will see if Iowa can continue as an Offensive Threat.

We best get used to Looper and the teams performance. I can't imagine anyone in the state of Iowa who has more job security than Lisa Looper when you consider the Feds sniffing around the Athletic Dept. Barta cannot terminate another lesbian. Too bad Barta listened to the wrong people and fired Blevins. That was a dumb move.

We best get used to Looper and the teams performance. I can't imagine anyone in the state of Iowa who has more job security than Lisa Looper when you consider the Feds sniffing around the Athletic Dept. Barta cannot terminate another lesbian. Too bad Barta listened to the wrong people and fired Blevins. That was a dumb move.

Just an FYI, it's Marla Looper. Also Barta did not technically fire Blevins. However, he did not support her on a couple of issues and made it difficult for her to want to stay.

Your overall premise is correct. No way will Marla be fired. The optics would be horrible. The only option Barta has is to simply allow her contract to expire at the end of 2018.

THere will not be a man hired for softball.
Why not? When Loopers contract comes up. Why would they not consider the best candidate no matter the gender? My Dream coach would be Pat Murphy from Bama. Since he is from Iowa he would seriously turn this program around. Problem is He loves it at Bama and they pay him well plus he gets all the recruits he could want.

We'll see after the season is done and the results are in, but if the Hawks turn in another 40 loss performance, I think appearances won't matter and the Looper era will be over. And, now that precedent has been established by Shymansky's hiring in VB, Iowa's next SB coach could be male.

Why not? When Loopers contract comes up. Why would they not consider the best candidate no matter the gender? My Dream coach would be Pat Murphy from Bama. Since he is from Iowa he would seriously turn this program around. Problem is He loves it at Bama and they pay him well plus he gets all the recruits he could want.
Just don't see it happening with all the "issues" surrounding the AD.

Cidhawkeye, who are you talking about that is 8 miles away? Yegge? I think Jacobs at UNI would be a good fit at Iowa too. Not sure he would leave UNI though. I think Yegge would be better then Looper no doubt.

Guess i never really thought about a guy from the High School ranks, but White is a quality coach so who knows. I think the key to college is being able to recruit and in Iowas case develop players that are good but need time to get better.. Any High School coach worth his salt is able to do this because its not like club where you get 12 girls that are highly competitive and are just there to play softball.. In HS you get the average, the below average and the Great players all at one time. Some practice all year and work to be better softball players, some play multisports to keep themselves ready, and some never even touch a softball until the season starts. That is why HS coaching is hard. You have to melt all those type players into one team and try to win with them. If your lucky your School gets a good group of quality club girls and they have experience.. Plus in HS Pitching is the winning factor. You can go along way with a dominate pitcher. College you will need a couple.

Guess i never really thought about a guy from the High School ranks, but White is a quality coach so who knows. I think the key to college is being able to recruit and in Iowas case develop players that are good but need time to get better.. Any High School coach worth his salt is able to do this because its not like club where you get 12 girls that are highly competitive and are just there to play softball.. In HS you get the average, the below average and the Great players all at one time. Some practice all year and work to be better softball players, some play multisports to keep themselves ready, and some never even touch a softball until the season starts. That is why HS coaching is hard. You have to melt all those type players into one team and try to win with them. If your lucky your School gets a good group of quality club girls and they have experience.. Plus in HS Pitching is the winning factor. You can go along way with a dominate pitcher. College you will need a couple.
That is simply a guess. He has had great success where ever he has coached, add in that his wife played at ISU and in the Olympics and you have a dynamic duo for coaching.

Reactions: Drmac22
That is simply a guess. He has had great success where ever he has coached, add in that his wife played at ISU and in the Olympics and you have a dynamic duo for coaching.

Seriously doubt he would be interested. Kids are at the age he wants to spend more time with them. I doubt he coaches at Solon much longer.

Reactions: Vroom_C14
THere will not be a man hired for softball.

Paula Jantz will be retiring within the next couple of years. That may make the possibility of hiring a male head coach a little more realistic. However, as it currently sits, I agree with you.

Reactions: beahawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT