ADVERTISEMENT

He was Michael Jordon before there was a Michael Jordon

billanole

HR Legend
Mar 5, 2005
I never got to see him play, but the legend of Henry Logan lives on. David Thompson was the guy in my generation who reminded me of what locals always said about Henry. Like others, the stat sheet would be more impressive if the three pointer had been in place during his career.

Steve White considers Henry Logan one of the best basketball players to ever play the game.

“If you want to think about players, there’s Michael Jordan,” said White, a fixture at Western Carolina for more than 50 years including including four decades as sports information director for the Catamounts before retiring. “A lot of people say he was a Michael Jordan before there was a Michael Jordan.”

White said Logan's style reminded him of other basketball greats.

“He handled the ball like a Pete Maravich …” White said about Logan, who played at Western Carolina from 1965-68. “That type of ballhandler. He shot like a Steph Curry. That kind of shooter.”
White added Logan could do it all. Logan still holds the program record for points with 3,290, assists with 1,037 and averaged almost eight rebounds per game in three seasons.

"When they talk about (my accomplishments), I think, 'Did I do all that?' " Logan told the Citizen Times in April during a celebration for his 78th birthday. "I still can't believe it. But it must have happened, because they're talking about it."

Logan was selected in the fourth round of the 1968 NBA Draft by the Seattle SuperSonics. Logan was also selected by the Oakland Oaks of the American Basketball Association. He helped the Oaks win the 1969 ABA championship.

Damage to his knees cut his pro career short after just two seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: THE_DEVIL
He was very good but Micheal Jordan he wasn't. Not close.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT