ADVERTISEMENT

Heard a new conspiracy theory today

gohawks50

HR Legend
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2010
Went to get my hair cut today and my stylist was talking about how the government could be responsible for the fire in Lahina as well as one in Haiti. Supposedly only blue items survived the Maui wildfires and lasers do not impact that color, suggesting the island was actually hit by a directed energy weapon “attack.” Also that the government wants to build smart cities.

Anyone else hear this crazy conspiracy? Why do people believe crazy stuff like this?

Just in case someone might actually believe this theory, here is a fact check:

I actually heard about this crazy conspiracy theory when I accidentally clicked on a right wing push post that popped up on twitter. It is so amazingly stupid. The color blue. Really? It is immune to laser damage? This is why science is important, folks.

Went to get my hair cut today and my stylist was talking about how the government could be responsible for the fire in Lahina as well as one in Haiti. Supposedly only blue items survived the Maui wildfires and lasers do not impact that color, suggesting the island was actually hit by a directed energy weapon “attack.” Also that the government wants to build smart cities.

Anyone else hear this crazy conspiracy? Why do people believe crazy stuff like this?

Ya, I've heard this crap for a while now. Same people believe the earth is flat and Australia isn't a real place.

Reactions: gohawks50
People embrace conspiracies because it allows them to assign meaning and purpose to what is otherwise a chaotic and senseless world. It gives them a false sense of control.
Or at least that someone is in control. Although it's tough to attribute space lasers to God so then it is obviously a government conspiracy.

That or this was actually planted by Russian Intelligence so they can make the claim that their space based weapons were simply a response to the US's placement of space based weapons. Because of course we would test our own space based laser by torching one of our own cities.

People embrace conspiracies because it allows them to assign meaning and purpose to what is otherwise a chaotic and senseless world. It gives them a false sense of control.
Nothing more, nothing less.

For a long time the idea of conspiracy theories confused me. In the movies, the conspiracy theorist is always the kooky weirdo who smoked too much weed.

Here in real life, I have encountered well educated and smart individuals who believe the government knew about 9/11, think the COVID vaccine was a way for the government to track us, etc. If that really was true, then why would they continue to vote for Republicans or continue carrying cell phones?

Then I began to realize it's not even the event/issue that frightens them. It's the complete randomness that bad things can happen in life and with no rhyme or reason without a secret shadow government behind the scenes pulling the strings. This is a tough reality for a lot of people to accept.

Reactions: ericram and h-hawk
At the local beauty shop. I think the stylist got it from Tik Tok. I kind of laughed and said there are crazy things out there on social media, but I think she's a believer.
I’m trying to think if I’ve ever been in a beauty shop in my life.

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs

What kind of idiot would buy into that nonsense? It's a well-known fact that Oprah started the Lahina fires so she could buy up the property for cheap.

You're nicer than I am. I think it is a way for uneducated people to pretend to be smart by showing that they know more about some things than the people they associate with. The ironic thing is that they display their complete ignorance in their attempts to do so.

You're nicer than I am. I think it is a way for uneducated people to pretend to be smart by showing that they know more about some things than the people they associate with. The ironic thing is that they display their complete ignorance in their attempts to do so.
That is most definitely part of it. People who aren’t particularly bright struggle to comprehend the general randomness of existence and feel an urge to have it explained and made meaningful.

Get a new hairdresser. 😧

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
That is most definitely part of it. People who aren’t particularly bright struggle to comprehend the general randomness of existence and feel an urge to have it explained and made meaningful.
This. They feel somehow left out, or left behind - or disconnected. They also get angry about it and become enamored with some blowhard they’ve seen on TV who’s yelling about the things they are also upset about and lo and behold they want him back in the WH.

Do you go to a barber or do you just use a different term like Hair Salon?
I consider a beauty shop to be a very different thing than a barbershop or a hair salon.

UL-Barber-Shop-325-1536x1024.jpg

5a6cd4b9751ad.image.jpg

beauty-salons-1950s-60s-32.jpg

Hey I don’t know about you but I still have a healthy “fear” of thunder and lightning.
If you hear it…fear it
If you see it…flee it
Thank you Girl Scout Camp Counselors. 😐
The irony will be when @Obviously Oblivious is struck down on the golf course because he fears no lightning! 😉

Angry Forrest Gump GIF

Reactions: goldmom
Hey I don’t know about you but I still have a healthy “fear” of thunder and lightning.
If you hear it…fear it
If you see it…flee it
Thank you Girl Scout Camp Counselors. 😐
LOL, you're not a alone there. I love watching thunderstorms rolling in, but I safely cower in my man cave (garage) while doing so.

I'm often dumb, but I'm not stupid.

Reactions: goldmom

This you afterwards?

Davis-01.jpg

I'm sorry but you cannot educate or fight that kind of stupidity. You just have to hope it dies off.

Russians and Chinese are laughing their asses off at us…

A woman in my office totally buys into conspiracy theories, so much so that it’s fracturing relationships in the office. I don’t engage often, but I finally am marking progress that the Super Bowl wasn’t rigged…not totally there yet, but making progress.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT