ADVERTISEMENT

Heartworms

Dec 19, 2016
My 4 yr old pup just got diagnosed with heart worms even though i have the vet receipts to show I have had him tested every year and negative. And the vet gives a shot once every 6 months to prevent. Pup has been coughing more and more so took him in. First they thought it was trachea problem. Then they checked out his lungs. Have any of you ever been through this? My neighbor told me it's not cheap and the dog can still die. Should I let them give him the needle z or spend 1000 ...side note I am from Iowa.

Spend the money. He's young and more able to tolerate treatment.

I've always had my dog on a monthly pill (Sentinel and now something different) and had zero problems. Perhaps you/the vet can get in touch with the company who makes the shot and see what their policy is for failures? They may offer to pay part of the costs of treatment.

Yeah no way gonna not pay. Just hrotin' But what from I have read and vet told me it's like one worm. Sickening when you think about it. Worm in your heart? Don't worry he's not going anywhere except to his cozy couch.

My 4 yr old pup just got diagnosed with heart worms even though i have the vet receipts to show I have had him tested every year and negative. And the vet gives a shot once every 6 months to prevent. Pup has been coughing more and more so took him in. First they thought it was trachea problem. Then they checked out his lungs. Have any of you ever been through this? My neighbor told me it's not cheap and the dog can still die. Should I let them give him the needle z or spend 1000 ...side note I am from Iowa.
Spend the money... he's young.

It sounds like simple math to me. The cost of the treatment is $1000. How much does a new dog cost?

We use Heartguard and they will pay for treatments if a dog on their pills get heart worms.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT