ADVERTISEMENT

Her baby has a deadly diagnosis. Her Florida doctors refused an abortion.

Only a Sith Lord deals in absolutes…
there-is-no-try-only-do-quote-do-or-do-not-there-is-no-try-4-rules-to-responding-to-angry.jpg

Reactions: sober_teacher
Yup, and in this case, we’re discussing a woman who we know her baby will at best survivor mere hours, if that, following its birth.

And that’s assuming it survives until that point. I can’t really call it murder in a scenario like this. Seems like the very definition of a medical exception to me.
Exactly.

Feel free to read the article. The overwhelming majority of abortions after the first trimester aren’t elective, but usually as a result of medical problems with the pregnancy.
Abortion is a broader term and includes involuntary (miscarriages)

The dumb thing is that the law in Florida specifically allows for abortions if there is a fatal fetal abnormality.

So instead of going after pro-lifers on this maybe you should ask the doctors why they are refusing an abortion by citing a law that specifically allows them to perform an abortion in this case.

The dumb thing is that the law in Florida specifically allows for abortions if there is a fatal fetal abnormality.

So instead of going after pro-lifers on this maybe you should ask the doctors why they are refusing an abortion by citing a law that specifically allows them to perform an abortion in this case.
Because they’re scared. they’re scared because in this instance the baby is still alive, and there are people who will argue that means it’s not a fatal abormality.

Because they’re scared. they’re scared because in this instance the baby is still alive, and there are people who will argue that means it’s not a fatal abormality.
All you have to do is get the agreement of 2 doctors that this is fatal and they should be in the clear.

Again why are they worried?

Reactions: TJ8869
Because it’s not a clearly written law.

would you define this as fatal? The baby is, technically, still alive at this point.

I mean you could easily go with a diagnosis which is certain to lead to death within 1 year of birth.

This sounds like it's certain to lead to death within hours.

It's clearly fatal it clearly fits within the law. Fatal doesn't mean that the baby isn't alive now, just that it will not survive this in any sort of long term manner.

Because it’s not a clearly written law.

would you define this as fatal? The baby is, technically, still alive at this point.
From the text of Florida’s abortion law;

6) "Fatal fetal abnormality" means a terminal condition that, in reasonable medical judgment, regardless of the provision of life-saving medical treatment, is incompatible with life outside the womb and will result in death upon birth or imminently thereafter.

Does this not describe the baby’s condition exactly?

***Edit - I’m not sure why Riley thinks this is funny, but I guess that’s Riley.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
From the text of Florida’s abortion law;

6) "Fatal fetal abnormality" means a terminal condition that, in reasonable medical judgment, regardless of the provision of life-saving medical treatment, is incompatible with life outside the womb and will result in death upon birth or imminently thereafter.

Does this not describe the baby’s condition exactly?
"reasonable" - by whose standard?

The medical community. The baby has been diagnosed with a medical condition that is incompatible with life outside the womb. Its fate is certain.
And some in the "medical community" will differ in opinion from others in the "medical community" which results in lawsuits.

The prognosis for this baby is not a matter of opinion.
SMFH - it's not a fact, it's an expected outcome of which others may have a different expectation, ie opinion.

This is the result of the bullshit Desantis, his cronies and other right wing nuts have pulled that creates distrust. The motivation by the medical team is to not get sued or thrown in jail. If they were confident that wouldn't happen they would perform the procedure without delay.

SMFH - it's not a fact, it's an expected outcome of which others may have a different expectation, ie opinion.

This is the result of the bullshit Desantis, his cronies and other right wing nuts have pulled that creates distrust. The motivation by the medical team is to not get sued or thrown in jail. If they were confident that wouldn't happen they would perform the procedure without delay.
What’s the best-case scenario for the baby?

To have been aborted as soon as the diagnosis was made. That didn't happen because the "medical community" involved is concerned about being arrested and/or sued.
Focus, Riley. What is the best-case scenario if the baby is born?

GFY TJ. You asked a question and I answered it.

There is no best-case if the baby is born. By all accounts it's a terrible scenario no matter what.
Let’s try this again. This time, try not to be a goddamn idiot.

I said the baby faces certain death shortly after birth and you countered that some people have a different “opinion.”

I stated that the baby’s fate is not a matter of opinion and asked you for the best-case scenario. Medically, scientifically, is there any reasonable scenario where the baby survives?

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Why was it aborted? I bet not because the woman just didn’t feel like having a baby anymore. You aren’t fooling me. I’ve heard the BS on this for my entire adult life.
You think the baby in the picture was aborted? OMG

Let’s try this again. This time, try not to be a goddamn idiot.

I said the baby faces certain death shortly after birth and you countered that some people have a different “opinion.”

I stated that the baby’s fate is not a matter of opinion and asked you for the best-case scenario. Medically, scientifically, is there any reasonable scenario where the baby survives?
Again, GFY. The prognosis, by definition is an opinion. A widely held opinion but an opinion nonetheless. An opinion that could face legal challenge. SMH

Again, GFY. The prognosis, by definition is an opinion. A widely held opinion but an opinion nonetheless. An opinion that could face legal challenge. SMH
Why are you so hostile about answering a simple question? Is there a chance that the baby survives for some period of time? A week? A month? A year? What’s the best-case scenario here?

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Why are you so hostile about answering a simple question? Is there a chance that the baby survives for some period of time? A week? A month? A year? What’s the best-case scenario here?
Certainly there’s a chance the baby could survive longer than was reported in this article and there’s the rub. Almost certainly you could find a doctor who would believe they could save the baby.

and then of course there are the people in the general public who watched Greys Anatomy and think they’re medical experts who would fight an abortion if they tried. All it takes is one friendly judge to take a civil or criminal case and tie the doctors up for months or longer.

Certainly there’s a chance the baby could survive longer than was reported in this article and there’s the rub. Almost certainly you could find a doctor who would believe they could save the baby.

and then of course there are the people in the general public who watched Greys Anatomy and think they’re medical experts who would fight an abortion if they tried. All it takes is one friendly judge to take a civil or criminal case and tie the doctors up for months or longer.
The law seems pretty clear to me. If two physicians certify in writing what I posted in #55 then it is permissable to terminate the pregnancy.

The law seems pretty clear to me. If two physicians certify in writing what I posted in #55 then it is permissable to terminate the pregnancy.
It appears the physicians didn't want to perform the abortion because of the new legislation. This is what many of the red states are doing. Scaring physicians and facilities into not performing abortions through legal threats.

It appears the physicians didn't want to perform the abortion because of the new legislation. This is what many of the red states are doing. Scaring physicians and facilities into not performing abortions through legal threats.
As I mentioned in the other thread, I don’t think this is directly related to the new legislation. Abortion has long been illegal in Florida after 24 weeks, except in cases of non-viable pregnancies or when the mother’s life is in jeopardy. This baby’s condition wasn’t even detected until 23 weeks. It might have been too late for the mother to have an abortion even before Dobbs.

And I think the hospital administrators are being too cautious, perhaps even trying to make an issue out of this case.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I don’t think this is directly related to the new legislation. Abortion has long been illegal in Florida after 24 weeks, except in cases of non-viable pregnancies or when the mother’s life is in jeopardy. This baby’s condition wasn’t even detected until 23 weeks. It might have been too late for the mother to have an abortion even before Dobbs.

And I think the hospital administrators are being too cautious, perhaps even trying to make an issue out of this case.
It states in the article that it was a response to the new legislation. I would take that over your opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT