ADVERTISEMENT

Here's why yesterdays' loss should not have come as that big of a surprise and why Iowa could still turn out okay this season

desihawk

HB Legend
Oct 1, 2002
The loss was disappointing but shouldnt be that surprising
1. All said and done, we have a first year OC and first year offensive system. Pretty much all first year Iowa OCs have dropped this game (with one exception but he was a former player who probably took this game far more seriously)
2. Iowa doesn't have a single true (as in one of the nation's best) difference maker on defense. A Campbell or Dejean or Epenesa type player who simply is an overwhelming talent. We are good at all spots and are already maximising our potential but that won't produce a elite defense that can be relied on in clutch situations. Top 20-25 type but nowhere near top-10.

The defense imo won't get any better this year but Iowa could turn things around on the back of Lester's offense. The offense has the potential to improve a lot -- more reps with Lester's system for skill players and the OL (gulp) does the continuous improvement thing. Despite yesterday's clusterfvck I could see them end up a 25-30ppg unit over course of the year. So top 25 D and top 75 O. Let's see where that gets us.

No offense desi, but I am so beyond tired of "yeah, they lost a game they probably shouldn't have, but it could still/will be an OK season".

What's the point of coaching and enjoying watching P4 football if you're fully content with 'moral victories'?

**** that. KF's 'grace period' for "we'll get 'em next time!" ended 20 years ago.

1. All said and done, we have a first year OC and first year offensive system. Pretty much all first year Iowa OCs have dropped this game (with one exception but he was a former player who probably took this game far more seriously)
2. Iowa doesn't have a single true (as in one of the nation's best) difference maker on defense. A Campbell or Dejean or Epenesa type player who simply is an overwhelming talent. We are good at all spots and are already maximising our potential but that won't produce a elite defense that can be relied on in clutch situations. Top 20-25 type but nowhere near top-10.

The defense imo won't get any better this year but Iowa could turn things around on the back of Lester's offense. The offense has the potential to improve a lot -- more reps with Lester's system for skill players and the OL (gulp) does the continuous improvement thing. Despite yesterday's clusterfvck I could see them end up a 25-30ppg unit over course of the year. So top 25 D and top 75 O. Let's see where that gets us.
HIggins...

The last 20 years are why yesterday's loss should not have come as that big a surprise. And another 8-4 will just be okay.

Reactions: iahawks10
Uh, we have an All American LB. That, by definition, is one of the nation's best.
He's a tackling machine and that counts for a lot (he fully deserves his accolades) but he isn't a player who changes the course of games or disrupts an opponent's gameplan. Campbell, dejean, and eppy were generational talents at Iowa, he isn't in that league, i should've expressed myself better.

KF has the majority of the fan base trained that a 6-6/7-5 season is better than average and they should be completely happy with those results.

"We won 10 games last year, not sure if you were aware of that."

angry-mad.gif

I knew it was coming 😆😆

Uh, we have an All American LB. That, by definition, is one of the nation's best.
And how many on the defense are on watch lists? We have a top 5 defense not a top 25. I said a few years ago with the way the playoffs worked, I did not like what that meant in non con games, as it meant it was a beauty contest and you would see powerhouse FBS teams just plain kicking the crap out of some unknown FCS team all in the name of style points. That is not good for the health of the players on the FCS teams and over the years I can not imagine the amount of injuries suffered in these types of games. NOW with a 12 team playoff, winning your conference is once again the main objective for a FBS team and the non cons are once again tune up games and that is how it was always supposed to be. Yeah it's fun to see games like Michigan and Texas early in the year, but honestly they are still playing for nothing really. The teams that are independent or in weak conferences are the ones who need to schedule flashy games and win them for strength of schedule as to have a shot at at large bids for the playoffs. All in all, I like the way things are now much better and I bet we see less injuries at all levels of football in non con games.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkBall23
a top 5 D doesn't give up 361 yards and 20 points to isu in Kinnick in a even TOP game. not to mention get sieved in the clutch.

KF coached the game like he had a top-5 D and paid for it.
Look, our top 5 D held ISU scoreless for the first half. Something nobody, has done to them in 11 years now.(they barely got one first down in fact). We could have kept mauling them all day long. Maybe in the process one of our starters gets hurt (remember last year? How many went down right at the start of the year and were never 100% really going into conference play??) Isu was going to fight as hard as they could for this game and I do not see any reason to risk any of our players season over this game. We proved what we needed to, figured out what needs work and who needs work and nobody got hurt. When was the last time we went into conference play (I know we have 1 more non con) as healthy as we are now?? It is not just the Hawks that see all this either. The Huskers did not score in the entire second half and let Colorado score 10. Mich State beats Florida Atlantic 16-10 and then goes to Maryland (who people right here on this board were saying are always good at the beginning of the season) and wins 27-24. Non cons are now like the pre season of the NFL.

Last edited:
I had a similar thought as #2. Who would be the guy to make the big play when it is needed most. As someone else said, Higgins is a great player and racks up tackles but I don’t see him as the big play guy when we need it. I don’t know that we have one. I kept hoping it might be X

There is zero excuse to blow that game with every LB injured for ISU , a 200 yard rushing performance, game at Kinnick, and a $500k 5th year QB. ZERO.

It’s borderline cause for a mental competency evaluation of a certain elderly head coach.

Despite a poor passing performance yesterday, had Iowa simply not allowed Roco to march down the field for the winning FG Iowa would be 2-0 and still rated.

Allowing ISU to get into field goal range lost the game for us pretty plain and simple.

Despite a poor passing performance yesterday, had Iowa simply not allowed Roco to march down the field for the winning FG Iowa would be 2-0 and still rated.

Allowing ISU to get into field goal range lost the game for us pretty plain and simple.
Yeah well our defense is not perfect. They all have things to work on and can be better. Now they know that.

Same old story. DB's give too much room to the other teams receivers. Our receivers still can't get spacing from the other teams DB's. Then they keep running the same play late in the game the other team has it figured out by then.

That was not an ordinary drive by ISU it was a crunch time game winning drive and Iowa should have been up to the task that's what sucks more than anything about this loss.
And they will all be in games like that again. That's life. Same with that pitiful goal line offense. See what I am saying? Crunch time. 2 Weeks before we open conference play and 4 weeks before we go to Columbus. THAT is the real crunch time.

Last edited:
If “turning out OK” means finishing 7-5 or maaaaybe 8-4 and getting shellacked in Columbus with wins over mediocre to bad teams, then this season may very well “turn out OK”. However, I think most Iowa fans expect more. I highly doubt this season will “turn out OK” based on my expectations, and I suspect the vast majority of Iowa fans feel similarly.

• Sad
Reactions: Iron Doc
Yeah well our defense is not perfect. They all have things to work on and can be better. Now they know that.
I think you saw an example where the defense gets mentally and physically tired when we sit on a lead and lean on the defense to get the win. We have seen this movie before. I think we all thought that with Lester the defense would get more rest with the offense moving the chains.

Kirk has left Lester alone to develop the offense. But he wants the game managed his way with the offense scoring just enough to get the win. It has to seem maddening if you play on the defensive side of the ball.

Reactions: Iron Doc
I had a similar thought as #2. Who would be the guy to make the big play when it is needed most. As someone else said, Higgins is a great player and racks up tackles but I don’t see him as the big play guy when we need it. I don’t know that we have one. I kept hoping it might be X
I'd say that Castro is probably next in line as far as difference makers on the D goes. Not saying that he's all world, but he does make splash plays periodically.

KF is still pulling the strings, which hampers the Off. Example is saying that CM is the best option at QB and giv8ng Sully ZERO meaningful snaps.

I’ll admit the offense is better. You can see it in the play design and scheme to get people open. The epic fail was getting way too dam cute twice on the goal line.
Sullivan QB sneak. Still can’t believe it took our staff a home loss to ISU to figure that out. They should have been planning on using him inside the 10 in camp. It was a no-brainer, just looking at our QBs’ measurables.

I know we’re beating a dead horse here — it just blows me away that our staff couldn’t anticipate this, and it absolutely cost us the ISU game, which was a season-altering loss.

Reactions: NI hawk and LIV4GOD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT