ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Tom Paris

Our PE teacher was also the wrestling coach we called “Sarge”. He would join the game and play with us. He was pretty intense, but I was fine with it.

Looking back, maybe something not so great is he would let the special ed kids play. Well, since we don’t believe in disabilities he treated them just like everyone else. They got lit up too.
I TA'd for Sarge for 3.5 years. Great way to earn a credit for washing towels and then watching sportscenter or playing whatever sport of the day rather than sitting in study hall.

I TA'd for Sarge for 3.5 years. Great way to earn a credit for washing towels and then watching sportscenter or playing whatever sport of the day rather than sitting in study hall.

Yes, I did the exact same thing. On 9/11 I sat in the PE office and watched the news.

As a former PE teacher, dodgeball is the correct answer. And my classes played never-ending dodgeball where it wasn’t antisocial and it was a game of teamwork. 90% of the classes chose this on ‘choice’ day. Also, no one should be using the rubber playground balls anymore, we used gatorskin balls, firm enough to bounce like a basketball but I could throw it right at your head from 10 ft away and it wouldn’t even phase you.

The school nurse put a stop to that game
nothing like clothes-lining the guy who is in a full sprint

iu

Gym Hockey. Csb here, but checked a buddy of mine through the gym doors right into a faculty meeting

So we did it differently. We called it “Pin guard”. This is rules:

- played in the wresting room so you can duck or dodge without hurting yourself
- played with volleyballs not the red rubber balls like you’re talking about
- same rules as dodgeball, throwers caught ball is out
- 2 bowling pins are at the back of the room on both sides (object of the game is to protect the pins. Knock your opponents two pins down and the game is over)
- we could play about 5 games in a period (played during high school)

What kind of sissy-boys play on wrestling mats? We played on the outdoor, asphalt basketball court. Same with the pins, bit used 3 of them. The marching band types got assigned to stand in front of the pins.

I have fond memories of the parachute thing

The greatest thing to do was stick your head through the hole and it was always the one thing you couldn't do...

As an adult on one occasion I had to supervise the parachute thing, and a kid stuck his head through the hole and I immediately thought 'crap he's going to break his neck!' But I REALLY wanted to let him stick his head there... I managed to half heartedly tell him to take his head out of the hole...

What kind of sissy-boys play on wrestling mats? We played on the outdoor, asphalt basketball court. Same with the pins, bit used 3 of them. The marching band types got assigned to stand in front of the pins.

So you guys were just running after balls all over the place when playing outside? It works best when you can play in a confined area. I’ve played regular dodgeball on a bball court before as well.

Marching band types in front of the pins are just cannon ball fodder.

So you guys were just running after balls all over the place when playing outside? It works best when you can play in a confined area. I’ve played regular dodgeball on a bball court before as well.

Marching band types in front of the pins are just cannon ball fodder.

At the beginning of the game you end up chasing balls. Once you get some of the slow, non-athletic kids knocked out, they line up behind the court & get the balls that miss.

And yes, the marching band pin shields were cannonball fodder. Of course. But they generally preferred that to being closer to the center line - they'd usually have enough time to only take it to the top of the head instead of the face.

Best was when the teams had thinned out & you could roll one ball like a bowling ball, and when it got close fire the remaining balls, machine-gun style, at the pin shield.

Reactions: swagsurfer02
As someone who taught PE for several years I can easily say that every PE teacher has the same number one goal.

“Don’t get sued by the little girl's family, who gets hit in the face by a dodgeball thrown by the varsity catcher.”
In about Middle School the district switched to these shitty foam red balls that you had absolutely zero control of after it left your hand. I hit the same girl in the face three times and was forced to apologize to her.

As someone who taught PE for several years I can easily say that every PE teacher has the same number one goal.

“Don’t get sued by the little girl's family, who gets hit in the face by a dodgeball thrown by the varsity catcher.”
Amateur hour. When we did "tinikling" the goal was to break ankles with those bamboo poles.

footwerk-dance.gif

At the beginning of the game you end up chasing balls. Once you get some of the slow, non-athletic kids knocked out, they line up behind the court & get the balls that miss.

And yes, the marching band pin shields were cannonball fodder. Of course. But they generally preferred that to being closer to the center line - they'd usually have enough time to only take it to the top of the head instead of the face.

Best was when the teams had thinned out & you could roll one ball like a bowling ball, and when it got close fire the remaining balls, machine-gun style, at the pin shield.

5848fe784f12495f15b6dbab245987dc.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT