ADVERTISEMENT

High Cholesterol and Statins

50 years ago, the total cholesterol reference range was 150 - 300 mg/dL. Your 277 mg/dl would be normal. Not today.

My cholesterol was in the 160 mg/dL range but my triglyceride level was about 175 mg/dL. My PCP prescribed a 10 mg statin, triglycerides down significantly and my cholesterol is around 105 mg/dL. No side effects.

Taking 40 mg Atorvastatin for about a year and a half. Cholesterol 263, Triglycerides 263, HDL 49, LDL 169 when I got blood work done first time. I changed my diet for a year to see if didn't need meds. Year later, Cholesterol 257. Very little change. Got on statin and checked 6 months later. Cholesterol 137, Triglycerides 85, HDL 48, LDL 73.

So yea statin the way to go.

I used to be able to control my cholesterol with exercise (lots of basketball and running, including half marathons and a full, typically 5-6 mile runs per day). Then I tore my ACL and meniscus twice, and can't do much more than walk. So my cholesterol went way up and I have been on that for several years. It always tests good now and I have had no side effects at all. I worked with someone that couldn't take it due to body aches, but I have noticed nothing.

I would also add that strength training may be helpful in lowering cholesterol. Most people jump to cardio but strength training may be as good. Particularly if you aren't muscular.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT