ADVERTISEMENT

High School Accused Of Offering Race-Segregated Math Classes Slapped With Civil Rights Complaint

abby97

HR Heisman
Sep 16, 2010
The party on the left are the real racists.

An Illinois high school has been accused of offering several math courses that are restricted to students based on their race, according to a civil rights complaint obtained by the Daily Caller News Foundation.

Mark Perry, Senior Fellow at Do No Harm, a medical watchdog group, filed a civil rights complaint against Evanston Township High School for allegedly offering several algebra, calculus and precalculus course codes open only to students who are black or “latinx.” The complaint, filed to the Chicago Office for Civil Rights, identifies several class codes that are “restricted to students who identify as Latinx, all genders,” or restricted to students who “identify as Black, all genders,” according to the 2023-2023 course catalog. (RELATED: EXCLUSIVE: School District Violated Civil Rights Act By Hosting Race-Based Student Groups, Complaint Alleges)

In the 2023-2024 school year, the high school is offering “AP [Advanced Placement] Calculus AB” which is equivalent to “one semester of college calculus,” though the class code is “restricted to students who identify as Black, all genders,” the course catalog showed. An identical course allegedly limits its enrollment to students who “identify as Latinx, all genders.”

However, the high school is offering an identical calculus course with a code that does not restrict enrollment on the basis of race, the 2023-2024 course catalog showed.

In January, Evanston Township School District’s board of education discussed how it would address the low enrollment of students of color in accelerated courses, according to the Daily Northwestern. The district’s Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction Pete Bavis suggested that the school offer students identity-based courses to make the accelerated classes more accessible to underrepresented groups.

The number of civil rights complaints filed to the Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights hit a record high in the last year; from October 2021 to September 2022, complaints alleging discrimination in the nation’s schools almost doubled from the previous year, with nearly 19,000 filed, according to The New York Times. Most of the complaints name discrimination on the basis of race and sex.

Evanston Township High School did not immediately respond to the DCNF’s request for comment.

• Haha
Reactions: Flie and BelemNole
He's on his way to Rumble to provide his next bit of "unbiased' news.

I don't know how abbs sits down with how much butt hurt he brings to HORT on the daily.
Nice try at deflection. This when we see your true identity. You are opposed to racism are you, Hawki97? You just want to decide who gets to be discriminated against.

Interesting story...I’ll keep an eye open on this one abby...I have 2 grandkids in the School system there. I’m thinking there is a bit more to this story than presented here. However, there are issues and concerns about Evanston’s public schools, no doubt. There is a huge variance of students, diversity, wealth and intellectual abilities in Evanston...home of Northwestern University ( an important element to be remembered here).

• Haha
Reactions: DolphLundgren
Interesting story...I’ll keep an eye open on this one abby...I have 2 grandkids in the School system there. I’m thinking there is a bit more to this story than presented here. However, there are issues and concerns about Evanston’s public schools, no doubt. There is a huge variance of students, diversity, wealth and intellectual abilities in Evanston...home of Northwestern University ( an important element to be remembered here).

With the Daily Caller, there's a lot more to the story, generally involving facts and information which the DC generally ignores.

I actually have a college classmate who teaches in a district close to there and this is her story. The state requires reporting of advanced STEM class participation and completion by race. Basically to encourage and monitor participation in underrepresented groups. Registering students into different sections by race was a stop gap way to accomplish those reporting requirements. It’s supposedly the same course taught at the same time by the same faculty it’s just the registration that’s different. That’s the story she told me at any rate.

Nice try at deflection. This when we see your true identity. You are opposed to racism are you, Hawki97? You just want to decide who gets to be discriminated against.

I'm not the one constantly spamming HORT with half truths homey. Just because you take everything that feeds your tiny world view like the gospel doesn't mean the rest of us do.

As others have said, this piece of drivel you've posted (like most of your shit) is likely half the story considering the source - your MAGA echo chamber. I'll let it play out before I get my undies in a wad.

I actually have a college classmate who teaches in a district close to there and this is her story. The state requires reporting of advanced STEM class participation and completion by race. Basically to encourage and monitor participation in underrepresented groups. Registering students into different sections by race was a stop gap way to accomplish those reporting requirements. It’s supposedly the same course taught at the same time by the same faculty it’s just the registration that’s different. That’s the story she told me at any rate.
How can the same faculty teach the same course at the same time?

Or is she saying everyone is allowed in the course, they just have two separate registration avenues to get into that course?

Reactions: DolphLundgren
How can the same faculty teach the same course at the same time?

Or is she saying everyone is allowed in the course, they just have two separate registration avenues to get into that course?
That’s what I was told. There is literally one section, or maybe multiple sections open to everyone. Just two different registration processes. Again, just what I was told.

Prior to April 30, the courses were not a closely guarded secret. The Daily Northwestern, the student newspaper at Northwestern University in Evanston, for instance, reported on the creation of the classes in an article published January 2023. In that article, administrators at ETHS reportedly indicated the classes were created specifically to increase the number of Black and Latino juniors and seniors at ETHS who enrolled in the AP math courses.

According to that article, a District 202 board member defended the creation of the restricted classes by noting that “at least 77% of the white student body” took an AP-level course, while 22% of Black students and 38% of Latino students did the same.

ETHS board members reportedly said at that board meeting that the creation of the classes was only a part of a larger effort to address racial “inequity” at ETHS and to “kind of level up … a little bolder.”

Link

Can we agree that getting poorly represented minority groups into higher level math and science courses is a worthy goal? Because from the sounds of things, this is the goal they are trying to address and as someone else posted, Illinois schools are measured by how different subsets of students perform and graduate. Those subsets aren't just based on race, but they do include low income and IEP students as well.

So, really, this is just a very poorly thought out attempt at addressing those issues. There are dozens of ways this goal could have been accomplished without sounding like a second coming of separate but equal policies. Really, the school board and Superintendent should be fired for approving this course and not thinking this through. That seems like a pretty easy thing to catch.

It’s all about the “intentions” and party affiliation. If those are “correct” it’s fine.

Can we agree that getting poorly represented minority groups into higher level math and science courses is a worthy goal? Because from the sounds of things, this is the goal they are trying to address and as someone else posted, Illinois schools are measured by how different subsets of students perform and graduate. Those subsets aren't just based on race, but they do include low income and IEP students as well.

So, really, this is just a very poorly thought out attempt at addressing those issues. There are dozens of ways this goal could have been accomplished without sounding like a second coming of separate but equal policies. Really, the school board and Superintendent should be fired for approving this course and not thinking this through. That seems like a pretty easy thing to catch.
There are two things that are necessary in order to increase the enrollment percentage of blacks and hispanics in certain AP classes. First, the blacks and hispanics have to be academically qualified for the classes and second, the kids must want to take those classes. Changing the name of the class or limiting certain students from taking certain classes based on what race they may be, doesn't change either of those requirements.

So by creating these new racist class requirements, you are either playing games with the entrance requirements and curriculum or you are spinning your wheels by creating the "race based" classes they did.

• Haha
Reactions: Flie
There are two things that are necessary in order to increase the enrollment percentage of blacks and hispanics in certain AP classes. First, the blacks and hispanics have to be academically qualified for the classes and second, the kids must want to take those classes. Changing the name of the class or limiting certain students from taking certain classes based on what race they may be, doesn't change either of those requirements.

So by creating these new racist class requirements, you are either playing games with the entrance requirements and curriculum or you are spinning your wheels by creating the "race based" classes they did.
Derp. It’s literally the exact same class as others are taking, this is just a very poor way of tracking enrollment to help increase diversity.

Stupid, yes… but not racist at all.

Just like you don't want to go to your special ed class with mostly black and/or latino students, these black and/or latino children may not want to go to AP classes with mostly white students.

Jesus, can't you morons read? It says this "code for the course is restricted" not the class.

Reactions: ping72

So Abby, this is a race based policy as opposed to a policy to encourage minority studies (who are under represented) to step up and perform? The goal here is to increase the size and depth of the talent pool in STEM and nothing more. How is this racist? Are you saying (and can prove) that white kids are being denied an opportunity to participate in these classes because they are white?

So Abby, this is a race based policy as opposed to a policy to encourage minority studies (who are under represented) to step up and perform? The goal here is to increase the size and depth of the talent pool in STEM and nothing more. How is this racist? Are you saying (and can prove) that white kids are being denied an opportunity to participate in these classes because they are white?
I think he's saying if the students are a) academically eligible for the classes, and b) WANT to take them, then opening classes simply to one race is unnecessary and unneeded. Consider: what if the classes for all students get filled, and some white students are left out. Why shouldn't THEY be allowed to sign up for the restricted classes?

I think he's saying if the students are a) academically eligible for the classes, and b) WANT to take them, then opening classes simply to one race is unnecessary and unneeded. Consider: what if the classes for all students get filled, and some white students are left out. Why shouldn't THEY be allowed to sign up for the restricted classes?
Well Seminoleed, maybe because THAT is NOT a problem? Now I do understand that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
I don’t believe for one millisecond “exclusion” is the school board’s goal here. But, it is certainly their problem to solve....and with good folks like abby looking over their shoulder, we will all be able to sleep better at night.

Reactions: hawk771
That’s what I was told. There is literally one section, or maybe multiple sections open to everyone. Just two different registration processes. Again, just what I was told.
If this is indeed what is happening all the outrage over this is ridiculous….wouldn’t surprise me with our MAGA snowflakes

If this is indeed what is happening all the outrage over this is ridiculous….wouldn’t surprise me with our MAGA snowflakes
Don't worry, they'll continue to ignore this and keep ranting about racism against whites.
We've learned over the past 8 years that truth isn't an issue.

If it is indeed what is happening, you would think the school district would respond. Pretty simple. Yet, they haven't.

If the classes are exactly the same as the white AP classes, then why establish black and hispanic only classes? Is the school saying there aren't enough spots for blacks? If so, then just open more classes, why offer black/hispanic only classes? Someone then posted that this was for tracking purposes. How is this only for tracking purposes? Are you saying they don't know which students are black or hispanic unless they are in separate classes? If that's the case, then how do they know not enough minorities are in those AP classes?

• Haha
If the classes are exactly the same as the white AP classes, then why establish black and hispanic only classes? Is the school saying there aren't enough spots for blacks? If so, then just open more classes, why offer black/hispanic only classes? Someone then posted that this was for tracking purposes. How is this only for tracking purposes? Are you saying they don't know which students are black or hispanic unless they are in separate classes? If that's the case, then how do they know not enough minorities are in those AP classes?
For probably the 100th time in this thread, they are open classes.

For probably the 100th time in this thread, they are open classes.
The complaint, filed to the Chicago Office for Civil Rights, identifies several class codes that are “restricted to students who identify as Latinx, all genders,” or restricted to students who “identify as Black, all genders,” according to the 2023-2023 course catalog.

Then why does the district say the classes are for blacks and latinx only? It appears you are mistaken.

• Haha
The complaint, filed to the Chicago Office for Civil Rights, identifies several class codes that are “restricted to students who identify as Latinx, all genders,” or restricted to students who “identify as Black, all genders,” according to the 2023-2023 course catalog.

Then why does the district say the classes are for blacks and latinx only? It appears you are mistaken.
It says the "code" is, not the class. it has been explained several times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT