ADVERTISEMENT

Historic seasons/stretches by Iowa teams without much consequence

General Tso

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2004
This is more observational than empirical, but the baseball season wrapping up got me thinking... Across MBB, football, and now baseball, it's most impressive how little these teams have accomplished in the post season for how historic the actual seasons have supposedly been the last few years. Am I off in thinking this?

I'm sorry, I flat out missed the recent historic football and men's basketball seasons. Is this some parallel universe thing?
12 and 0. But yeah that was a while ago now and getting longer and longer every season.

This is more observational than empirical, but the baseball season wrapping up got me thinking... Across MBB, football, and now baseball, it's most impressive how little these teams have accomplished in the post season for how historic the actual seasons have supposedly been the last few years. Am I off in thinking this?

No. I am convinced Iowa wont win a Rose Bowl in my lifetime, and now college sports is just a minor league where traditions dont matter, so I never will.

No. I am convinced Iowa wont win a Rose Bowl in my lifetime, and now college sports is just a minor league where traditions dont matter, so I never will.
Rose Bowl doesn’t mean a damn thing anymore.

It’s about the playoff and that will be even more true when it goes to 12.

Rose Bowl is going the way of the NIT basketball tournament, just a way to show how old and out of touch with the new dynamic fans are.

Rose Bowl doesn’t mean a damn thing anymore.

It’s about the playoff and that will be even more true when it goes to 12.

Rose Bowl is going the way of the NIT basketball tournament, just a way to show how old and out of touch with the new dynamic fans are.
Where are these new dynamic fans?

Reactions: FlickShagwell
So not sure if you’re disappointed or what. That’s more on you. Baseball had an amazing season, especially as a Northern team. What Heller has accomplished here is actually way under appreciated. We were the 2 seed, knocked off an ACC school twice(NC) and battled hard against the 1 seed on their home field. Winning game 2 was the key. A little perspective is in order here.

Basketball I agree with you...basically zero NCAA tourney success that doesn't correspond with regular season success....at all.

Football no....2015 and 2021 CCG appearances and 4 bowl wins? in that time frame. I'd say they have met regular season/post season expectations. Maybe slightly underperformed...

Baseball? I'm still in the Heller has them competing at a much higher level than they had been for a couple decades stage. I give Heller a pass...would like to see continued progression with a trip to Omaha some time in the relatively near future.

Last edited:
So not sure if you’re disappointed or what. That’s more on you. Baseball had an amazing season, especially as a Northern team. What Heller has accomplished here is actually way under appreciated. We were the 2 seed, knocked off an ACC school twice(NC) and battled hard against the 1 seed on their home field. Winning game 2 was the key. A little perspective is in order here.
Heller and Bluder are our shining stars. Anyone waiting on Ferentz and McCaffery . . . well, good luck.

Heller and Bluder are our shining stars. Anyone waiting on Ferentz and McCaffery . . . well, good luck.
Lol KF has accomplished a lot more than Coach Heller, who didn’t have the greatest weekend managing his bullpen. I still can’t believe he took Brecht out in the 8th when he was dealing for a kid with a nearly 6 ERA ☠️

Basketball I agree with you...basically zero NCAA tourney success that doesn't correspond with regular season season success....at all.

Football no....2015 and 2021 CCG appearances and 4 bowl wins? in that time frame. I'd say they have met regular season/post season expectations. Maybe slightly underperformed...

Baseball? I'm still in the Heller has them competing at a much higher level than they had been for a couple decades stage. I give Heller a pass...would like to see continued progression with a trip to Omaha some time in the relatively near future.
Basketball is a weird one. Part of the problem is Iowa seems to be always be in the 7 to 10 seed range. That means likely playing a 1 or a 2 seed in the second round. The key is to consistently get in the 6 and up range. That way the second round matchup (should you make it) becomes a lot more doable. Fran has gotten Iowa in that range only twice and obviously haven't advanced. But if they keep getting in that range, I think it can happen.

Look at MLB.....Last season the Los Angeles Dodgers won
111 games in the regular season. In the NL playoffs they
lost to the San Diego Padres who had only 89 wins in the
regular season.

Bottom Line: In the post season of college and pro sports
it is still possible for big upsets to take place. Everyone had
the Dodgers winning the World Series based on their regular
season record last year. There are no guarantees in sports.

Reactions: General Tso
Basketball is a weird one. Part of the problem is Iowa seems to be always be in the 7 to 10 seed range. That means likely playing a 1 or a 2 seed in the second round. The key is to consistently get in the 6 and up range. That way the second round matchup (should you make it) becomes a lot more doable. Fran has gotten Iowa in that range only twice and obviously haven't advanced. But if they keep getting in that range, I think it can happen.
I think the killer was Garza's senior year....2 seed.

Overall I agree with your assessment but getting bounced by Richmond in the first rnd last year was also a killer...

FIFY, A lot of our fans continue to thump their chests over the 2015 season, which ended in epic embarrassment.
It was most certainly an historic season/stretch as alluded to in the op. Definitely an epic embarrassment in the Rose Bowl. That is the "without much consequence" part.

Last edited:
Not disappointed so much as I've heard the last 4-5 years across some of these sports described as historic or all time (like winningest 5 years stretch in football, or # of draft picks in bball, and an article described this baseball season as historic) that's all great, especially in context of being a Hawkeye fan. But the other side of that Hawkeye fan context is 'historic' stretches by Hawkeye standard still don't seem to result in much on a national scale.

I think the killer was Garza's senior year....2 seed.

Overall I agree with your assessment but getting bounced by Richmond in the first rnd last year was also a killer...
Yep. I think getting a 2 seed and not going farther with it was a bigger killer than the 5 seed year imo.

The ability for a program like Iowa to get a 2 seed is rare. You have to take advantage of that opportunity when it comes along.

I still think you ride the hot hand over bringing in a kid with a 6 ERA. It's the post-season, you do what you have to in order to advance. At least let Brody attempt the 8th and take him out if the lead off batter gets on.
Brecht has a pro career in the making, Heller has to be mindful of the kid. 108 pitches is a ton. If he were to blow out his arm or need rotator cuff surgery that would be the last thing anybody would want. Can't do it.

Brecht has a pro career in the making, Heller has to be mindful of the kid. 108 pitches is a ton. If he were to blow out his arm or need rotator cuff surgery that would be the last thing anybody would want. Can't do it.
Exactly. 108 is plenty. At some point you have to be able to trust your bullpen.

Basketball I agree with you...basically zero NCAA tourney success that doesn't correspond with regular season success....at all.

A good point was brought up in yesterdays game about starting the season 2-3 weeks later which would be a great thing for the Northern schools. No guarantee of any kind of good weather until the Big Ten tournament the way the season is now. Move the World Series back to around the 4th of July or something like that. Would be much better for the game in my opinion. While it would be incredible for Iowa to make the College World Series I looked it up and the last team I would consider to be a Midwest or Northern team to win the World Series was Wichita St in 1989. Oklahoma won in 94 but I consider them a little more 'Southern. And the Big 12 has been a really strong baseball conference over the years.

Ohhhhh...No I dont pretend it has value now.

College sports is all a joke. One should not take it very seriously. The UI needs to get out of it. Go the way of the U of Chicago.
I’m not this far but my level of care has plummeted the last 3 years. Thanks to NiL and constant transferring. I used to watch almost every Iowa Basketball game. I barely tune in at all the last 3 years. Nor do I care that much when football loses. Gave up season tickets before last season. Greed and money have ruined my favorite thing since childhood.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRHawk2003
I’m not this far but my level of care has plummeted the last 3 years. Thanks to NiL and constant transferring. I used to watch almost every Iowa Basketball. I barely tune in at all the last 3 years. Nor do I care that much when football loses. Gave up season tickets before last season. Greed and money have ruined my favorite thing since childhood.

people laugh at me when I say the Commings era was more fun. It was.

Yep. I think getting a 2 seed and not going farther with it was a bigger killer than the 5 seed year imo.

The ability for a program like Iowa to get a 2 seed is rare. You have to take advantage of that opportunity when it comes along.
Yep. Because blue bloods find ways to final 8s and 4s even in their “off” years. Hell, UConn wasn’t THAT good this year but got ANOTHER title. Why can’t the cards turn over for Iowa? I didn’t think in 1980 that would be my last Iowa Final 4 in my life.

IIRC JBo, CMac and Fredrick were all injured and nowhere near 100% by tourney time that year (and CJF seemed to be mentally gone already). And that coupled with our lack of athleticism and an awful matchup against Oregon, who got a Covid bye, caught up to us. That team “should’ve” gone further. But seemed to have a lot going against them in that tourney.

It was most certainly an historic season/stretch as alluded to in the op. Definitely an epic embarrassment in the Rose Bowl. That is the "without much consequence" part.
yes it was, but why did you post 12-0? They were 12-2 that year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT