ADVERTISEMENT

Historic seasons/stretches by Iowa teams without much consequence

Lots of nonsense in this thread IMO. If the expectation is that Iowa sports is going to be a big timer on the national stage there will be 90% disappointment.

I have enjoyed following Iowa FB, BB, WBB, wrestling and baseball these last few years. Lots of great wins and some excellent accomplishments.

I know .... no natty's.

Yep. Because blue bloods find ways to final 8s and 4s even in their “off” years. Hell, UConn wasn’t THAT good this year but got ANOTHER title. Why can’t the cards turn over for Iowa? I didn’t think in 1980 that would be my last Iowa Final 4 in my life.
Final 4? Heck, I would just love a Sweet 16 run. I've never seen one as an adult. Only one I can recall was in '99 and even that I was pretty young and not quite paying attention.

yes it was, but why did you post 12-0? They were 12-2 that year.
Probably because the whole point of this thread is Hawkeye teams that have great regular seasons, only to flame out in the postseason. And that’s exactly what happened in 2015. 12-0 in the regular season, only to lose the B1G title game and the Rose Bowl.

Reactions: EagleHawk
IIRC JBo, CMac and Fredrick were all injured and nowhere near 100% by tourney time that year (and CJF seemed to be mentally gone already). And that coupled with our lack of athleticism and an awful matchup against Oregon, who got a Covid bye, caught up to us. That team “should’ve” gone further. But seemed to have a lot going against them in that tourney.
McCaffery seems to not understand the concept of defense. He doesn't coach it well and he sure doesn't recruit defenders. Until he changes, Iowa's not going anywhere in the tournament.

McCaffery seems to not understand the concept of defense. He doesn't coach it well and he sure doesn't recruit defenders. Until he changes, Iowa's not going anywhere in the tournament.
Fran was hired to score points. THAT is the reality here.
The last “talent scout” Iowa hired was Raveling….TD and Fran are much the same cloth…Ralph Miller seemed to get “both” players and scoring…. But Ralph’s career was highlighted (Wichita, Iowa and Oregon St) with horrible tournament collapses and failures.

#22 is the reason Iowa women’s BB is relevant today. Don’t fool yourself. CC is lightning in a bottle. Not to diminish Coach Bluder but stay in reality here.
You just diminish her. They went to the elite 8 the year before Clark arrived. Bluder was a great coach at Drake before she got here. You need to quit being so pissy.

Reactions: gohawks50
Fran was hired to score points. THAT is the reality here.
The last “talent scout” Iowa hired was Raveling….TD and Fran are much the same cloth…Ralph Miller seemed to get “both” players and scoring…. But Ralph’s career was highlighted (Wichita, Iowa and Oregon St) with horrible tournament collapses and failures.
You don't know sh*t.

And you do?
How much is a subscription to you?
McCaffery got hired to win games. Winning, especially in the tourney, is about defense. You think he got hired to score points. Is that really your comeback? Try again.

McCaffery got hired to win games. Winning, especially in the tourney, is about defense. You think he got hired to score points. Is that really your comeback? Try again.
Well, the book on Fran at Sienna was his teams will score points and lots of them….and if you pick up a second foul in the first half, you will sit on the bench next to Fran for the balance of the half.
I forget the writer who wrote this but he was the beat writer for Sienna.
The guy was gold!
I think Fran does a pretty solid job for the most part. And I think Bluder is an excellent coach. But Iowa women are the Iowa women because if #22.

Final 4? Heck, I would just love a Sweet 16 run. I've never seen one as an adult. Only one I can recall was in '99 and even that I was pretty young and not quite paying attention.
As a kid I thought Iowa was sweet 16 capable every year. They had a shit ton of bad luck in the tournament. Usually the opponent having a home court or state advantage. Then buzzer beaters and blown leads after that.

Reactions: Lindemann
If you have 22 and say DMACC women, you'd get smoked by Bluder.
Maybe. Maybe not. But we will never know, will we?
Just a reminder....5-6 years ago many folks here were wanting to trade LB in on a newer model...remember?
Players like #22 are once in a generation players. Who was the Indiana State coach back when Bird was there? Who was Bill Russell’s coach when he was at USan Fran? Who coached Oscar at Cincy?

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Maybe. Maybe not. But we will never know, will we?
Just a reminder....5-6 years ago many folks here were wanting to trade LB in on a newer model...remember?
Players like #22 are once in a generation players. Who was the Indiana State coach back when Bird was there? Who was Bill Russell’s coach when he was at USan Fran? Who coached Oscar at Cincy?
I'm sure there were some wanting LB gone, probably including you. She is the main reason #22 went to Iowa.

I'm sure there were some wanting LB gone, probably including you. She is the main reason #22 went to Iowa.
Kelsers...you are talking out of your ass, again. Lisa is a perfect UIowa fit. Almost the same level as C Vivian...
My only point here is that generational players (like #22) make coaches household names. #22 is who stirs the drink known as Iowa Women’s basketball. LB might be the glass that holds the drink. (And if you don’t have a container, what do you do with your drink?)

Kelsers...you are talking out of your ass, again. Lisa is a perfect UIowa fit. Almost the same level as C Vivian...
My only point here is that generational players (like #22) make coaches household names. #22 is who stirs the drink known as Iowa Women’s basketball. LB might be the glass that holds the drink. (And if you don’t have a container, what do you do with your drink?)
Duh. How am I talking out of my ass? What did I say that isn't correct?

Duh. How am I talking out of my ass? What did I say that isn't correct?
I have never disparaged LB as a basketball coach.....ever. You insinuated I have. I just (honestly) believe the vast majority of sports are won by the players who are playing and not by those coaching. And if you have been a HROTer long, you would know there folks here who were demanding LB be replaced..... But then MGustafson and CClark come along and suddenly Lisa is a great coach.
Coaches have roles...procuring talent and “coaching”.....Players are brought in to a program to win games....

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
Bluder is only a big deal if she can stay close to the same level after Clark is done.
Bluder's record has been pretty impressive even before the current CC era. As for star players, she's recruited and developed quite a few - i.e., Gustafson, Logic, etc. And after CC there's no doubt in my mind that she'll bring in another terrific point guard to take her place.

Bluder's record has been pretty impressive even before the current CC era. As for star players, she's recruited and developed quite a few - i.e., Gustafson, Logic, etc. And after CC there's no doubt in my mind that she'll bring in another terrific point guard to take her place.
Chad Greenway's daughter hopefully will be here before too long. He married a track star, and as you might have guessed, an all pro OLB and collegiate track star produced an athletic child.

Please define for me “take her place”?
Yes, someone will play her position......but “take her place”? Doubtful....Enjoy #22 while you got her. Iowa basketball....men or women, have never seen her equal.

I guess I have lived too close to the Missouri border for too long but you will have to “Show me” first.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT