ADVERTISEMENT

Home insurance.

Yeah all the best actuaries just shoot from the hip, go by their gut and buy into the latest hysteria in their calculations. SMGDH.

Yeah....but "actuaries" are basing their numbers on actual risk models.

MAGA needs to start their own re-insurer, and base their model on "gut estimates".
They won't need no "actuaries" with "actual" risk, they can make up their own "estimates" and just hire "estuaries".... 😉

MAGA needs to start their own re-insurer, and base their model on "gut estimates".
They won't need no "actuaries" with "actual" risk, they can make up their own "estimates" and just hire "estuaries".... 😉

Yeah, they're trying to be in the "risk" business without accepting any risk.

Let's see how that works out for them, Cotton.

Insurance companies, while a scam, are losing their ass in Iowa the last several years. Extreme weather has many consequences, unfortunately

Those healthcare sharing ministries have worked so well, I say go for it!

I mean, he ended a 2 word thread title with a period. That tells us all we need to know.

That's okay. It worked for Absolut Vodka.

IMG-4417.jpg

Tornadoes didn't happen until recently in Iowa?
In the past, far less frequently and less destructive on average, now combined with other severe weather events of greater severity and frequency. What a puzzle this is when we're all insured by for-profit corporations. I will acknowledge that inflationary pressures are a factor, if we want to revisit why the cost of building materials exploded during a global pandemic that trashed supply chains around the world.

Also, are hurricanes in Florida a new phenomenon?

Tornadoes didn't happen until recently in Iowa?
What?

Although there have been a ton of tornadoes this year in Iowa, wind and hail events are happening far more frequently and are the biggest damage causers in the state right now.

I have heard Nationwide isn’t writing property insurance in Iowa anymore. Here is a related article.*

*edited to change the name of the insurer to avoid confusion for subsequent readers

Last edited:
Yeah Doobs, the insurance world sucks right now. Shop around, some companies are starting to see decisions they made 12-18 months ago help with profitability and are not taking on AS MUCH rate. It's all a chess board. Company A might take rate in "Iowa" so they can be underpriced and buy share in "Idaho".

*And everybody subsidizes California.

While you guys twiddle your thumbs wondering how this giant ball of lava we all live on, that spins around a giant nuclear bomb, goes up or down a couple degrees, as it's done countless times in its past. You should know theft is every bit the problem natural disasters are.

Catastrophic events are their own bucket.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
Weird since last year there was second lowest for property damage secondary to tornadoes in 10 years in Iowa and third lowest in 20 years.

State Farm just wrote me a policy for my home in Iowa.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, my home insurance dropped by about 50% this year. In Florida.

AlTeRnAtInG cApS OmG aLl BiDeN's FaUlT!!!

Weird since last year there was second lowest for property damage secondary to tornadoes in 10 years in Iowa and third lowest in 20 years.

State Farm just wrote me a policy for my home in Iowa.
Well, disregard my post then. It must not have been state farm. I will provide the correct name when I hear it.

I’d be curious to know if these insurance companies actually gain new customers off of tv adds. How many millions has State Farm paid Aaron Rodgers, Chris Paul, Caitlyn Clark and many other athletes over the years. Heck I would think they actually lose some customers because of it.
What’s wrong with paying a lot less and giving an average joe blow a little bit of acting money.

If you’re equating the rise in your rates with less coverage to the economy, well holy shit you are one simple sob.
If your homeowner insurance goes up $1,000 a year that’s less money you have to put into the economy for other discretionary items that absolutely will have an effect on the economy.
Simply put who’s the sob here?

If your homeowner insurance goes up $1,000 a year that’s less money you have to put into the economy for other discretionary items that absolutely will have an effect on the economy.

And this is exactly what I've explained for folks what the Inflation Reduction Act does for Main St Americans.

It allows them to afford higher efficiency home appliances (fridges, washers, HVAC, etc) and when they save $50-100 a month on utility bills, all of that money is available to spend on other stuff. That extra money compounds over the life of the appliances, too, so it is not a one-off.

Added bonus is the higher efficiency stuff will generally mean less energy use and fewer greenhouse gases needed for energy. And, in case you haven't been paying attention, those higher emissions are a key factor in your higher insurance costs; which means the IRA is indirectly slowing those insurance cost increases, as well.

It was someone in my office. I thought he said state farm. Could have been a different company, but it is one of the major insurers operating out of Des Moines.
I have heard many companies are not offering new policies in Iowa. Pekin pulled out of Iowa completely. Some smaller insurers in state are combining with others.

I’m sure many other companies are taking action.

Reactions: Tenacious E
The only thing I’ve heard, which is commonplace, is more rate hikes from all insurance companies. I’d guess most consumers will see 25%-40% rate hikes on property insurance.
I changed from Progressive to State Farm. My insured amount went up due to my agent's recommendation as costs have gone up in the case of a loss. But my overall cost of the policy changed very little changing from Progressive to State Farm. High, but didnt change much.

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
Not sure if this is the best thread to bump for a homeowners insurance question, but whatever

My rate went from ~2700/year to 3000/year.

I guess the ‘main’ coverage amount is 430k, and I’m wondering if I have too much coverage. Regardless of what the house is “worth”, this is supposed to be the amount you insure to rebuild your home? How am I supposed to know that amount?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT