ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops Postgame Thoughts

mill1634

HB All-American
Jul 11, 2018
Easily the worst games the hawks have played on the defensive end through 3 games against the worst opponent. NCCU was able to get to the rim early and often. This could be a case of the Hawks simply overlooking the opponent, the Hawks being subpar on defense again, or NCCU being fired up. I think it’s a combo of the 3. The defense was much better after halfway through the second half when Perkins and Ulis came in. They absolutely changed the game.

Joe T - not a very good game for Joe. Wasn’t hitting shots and wasn’t as effective on D as the other 2 young guards. Only one assist and two turnovers. We know he will have these games. Still relatively happy how he’s looked through 3 games.

JBO - Obviously not a good shooting game for JBO. You have to think the pressure of breaking the record was weighing on him. Don’t actually think he was horrible on defense.

Patrick - Patrick was active on the offensive end as usual, but most of his buckets came on garbage buckets like in the past. Still not a good shooter, but was 6-6 at the line which is encouraging. I do think he is a below average defender besides what he brings at the head of the press.

Keegan - Don’t think I need to say anything here. Absolute monster. Didn’t even run the offense through him and he still came away with 27 and 21. Active on D. Didn’t get the shot to fall, but he’s going to be streaky all year.

Filip - absolutely brutal to start the game. Was super late on rotations through the first 4 minutes, gave up a rebound on a missed FT, and had 2 fouls. Was much better in the second half on both ends, and really like how he attacked the offensive glass. Still think he’s adjusting to the speed iowa plays at.

Ulis - was really good in this game again, as he has all year. Ran the offense for the last 13 minutes in control. 4 assist and 7-8 at the line. Strong believer that he’s an all-big 10 player if he ever develops a consistent jumper.

Perkins - I’ve been critical of TP through 2 games, but he was the X factor tonight. He’s clearly the defensive stopper for opposing guards. Knocked down 2 threes and played a lot more in control. Hopefully this game flips the switch for him.

Connor - nothing new here. Played in control off the bench and gave a steady hand for the two young guards closing the game.

Sandfort - didn’t play in the second half outside of the last minute, but struggled on D in the first half. Gave up a wide open made 3 after over helping. Didn’t provide anything on O, but the hawks will need his shooting in B10 play.

overall, not a great game but liked how they closed. Not the worst thing to have to close a game without Garza that isn’t against a power 6 program. I expect the hawks to come out with a lot more energy Thursday against an Alabama State team that lost by single digits in Ames tonight despite having a worse Kenpom rating than NCCU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News