ADVERTISEMENT

Hope Springs Eternal

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
With spring football on the horizon, it is always a time of great optimism.

Thwre are many things to be excited about:

- Defense with most of its returning pieces should be very good. Will be interesting to see how some of the newer players fill open spots.

- With a new offensive coordinator and wr coach, it will be exciting to see how the new offense performs. Line could be very good, with the addition of Proctor and a lot of pieces returning. RB and TE positulions should be solid. WR cabinet isn't bare and several young talented redshirts could help out. Now to the QB position, the biggest ??? on the team. Has Deacon (donut role) lost any weight and improved his quickness? Will Lainez show the ability to move into the #2 slot? And finally will Cade be healthy and stay healthy to lead this team in the fall?

- T Taylor is gone as well as super Cooper. Will be interesting to see how Rys develops as the new punter.

With the addition of USC, Oregon, Washington and UCLA the BIG just got alot tougher. Games at OSU and UCLA will not be easy. Washington, Wisconsin and Nebraska at home will be a challenge. Maryland continues to get better and it is on the road. What will the NW and MSU coaches do with their teams? The schedule will be more difficult than last year but we should be better.

So Hope Springs Eternal once again for all Hawk fans. Would love for us to make the college football playoffs this upcoming year. We'll need to stay healthy, have an improved offense and our D needs to get more turn-overs, always a team strength. Only time will tell.

Austin Powers No GIF

I'm more concerned with Hill's accuracy than his weight but that being said, I hope he is way down the ladder in getting reps.

I don't understand putting a lot of our marbles in Cade McNamara come game time.

Reactions: Garzatough85

- Defense with most of its returning pieces should be very good. Will be interesting to see how some of the newer players fill open spots.

- With a new offensive coordinator and wr coach, it will be exciting to see how the new offense performs. Line could be very good, with the addition of Proctor and a lot of pieces returning. RB and TE positulions should be solid. WR cabinet isn't bare and several young talented redshirts could help out. Now to the QB position, the biggest ??? on the team. Has Deacon (donut role) lost any weight and improved his quickness? Will Lainez show the ability to move into the #2 slot? And finally will Cade be healthy and stay healthy to lead this team in the fall?

- T Taylor is gone as well as super Cooper. Will be interesting to see how Rys develops as the new punter.

With the addition of USC, Oregon, Washington and UCLA the BIG just got alot tougher. Games at OSU and UCLA will not be easy. Washington, Wisconsin and Nebraska at home will be a challenge. Maryland continues to get better and it is on the road. What will the NW and MSU coaches do with their teams? The schedule will be more difficult than last year but we should be better.

So Hope Springs Eternal once again for all Hawk fans. Would love for us to make the college football playoffs this upcoming year. We'll need to stay healthy, have an improved offense and our D needs to get more turn-overs, always a team strength. Only time will tell.
If Deacon Hill sees the field this fall, Iowa is in trouble.

Otherwise, yeah, a lot of reasons to be optimistic.

I'm more concerned with Hill's accuracy than his weight but that being said, I hope he is way down the ladder in getting reps.

I don't understand putting a lot of our marbles in Cade McNamara come game time.
Well, at this point WHERE else are the marbles to be put?

Gunner do you know when the spring game is?

I truly believe Kirk is enamored with a tall QB in the pocket dumping safe passes to Tight Ends and the occasional WR. Deacon Hill fits the Kirk mold and Kirk can’t let it go!
The final straw was the Bowl game following Hills BTCG flop, He handed Tennesssee the Game and forced Him to go to Lainez late , He will never be able to put Hill on the Field again in front of Lainez and be able to look at the Press and say He is trying to win.

Reactions: SoonerBeAHawk

A "new" WR coach? That's Budmayr. WR is bare, you can't win with a bunch of walk-ons. There is ONE, maybe 2, D1 WR's on the roster.

QB? You have a one legged returning starter, a donut, and a bunch of inexperienced 2* and 3* frosh. KF needs his QB's to learn the playbook before they even get consideration.

Hope springs eternal? Looks like the crabgrass has gotten a head start over the flowers.

• Sad
Reactions: Iron Doc
Iowa was nationally ranked #16 for the cfp era by espn recently using a bunch of metrics. That sounded good initially.....until they said tht wld only be good for _7th place in the _new Big Ten.

It is pretty obvious this expanded league is going to be real tough to ever win outright.

Realistically, I would be very happy If Iowa makes the expanded CFP this year. Yes--hope springs eternal.

Reactions: savage84
I get the Hill comments. But try and remember, he never really played college ball before and it had been some time since he even played HS ball. I am not as high on experience (at qb) as our coaches seem to be, but it has to matter some. So yeah of course it was painful to watch. Probably was not easy to go through either, but he handled it well. (also remember he was never supposed to be the starter, Cade was. Not an excuse as to why we did not have a #2 ready to go though)

A "new" WR coach? That's Budmayr. WR is bare, you can't win with a bunch of walk-ons. There is ONE, maybe 2, D1 WR's on the roster.

QB? You have a one legged returning starter, a donut, and a bunch of inexperienced 2* and 3* frosh. KF needs his QB's to learn the playbook before they even get consideration.

Hope springs eternal? Looks like the crabgrass has gotten a head start over the flowers.
Well you have the Hawks losing before the season starts, some fan you are. Oh wait, that is still up for debate. I think you are a Clone in sheeps clothing.

I am anxious to see if Lester can coach up our quarterbacks. Hill and Lainez were both four star in one recruiting site or another. McNamara could come back stronger than ever, his last kick at the cat.

Will be interesting what Bud can do with our WR room. Brown a 4 star showed promise later in the season and Anderson showed an athletic side. Will Buie or Howard be the X receiver we need. Can Bostick stay healthy? Mota has excellent speed, what can he do?

We could see some nice improvement in both rooms under new tuteledge. Spring could provide some insight.

Well you have the Hawks losing before the season starts, some fan you are. Oh wait, that is still up for debate. I think you are a Clone in sheeps clothing.

I am anxious to see if Lester can coach up our quarterbacks. Hill and Lainez were both four star in one recruiting site or another. McNamara could come back stronger than ever, his last kick at the cat.

Will be interesting what Bud can do with our WR room. Brown a 4 star showed promise later in the season and Anderson showed an athletic side. Will Buie or Howard be the X receiver we need. Can Bostick stay healthy? Mota has excellent speed, what can he do?

We could see some nice improvement in both rooms under new tuteledge. Spring could provide some insight.
The sky is always falling for some posters.

I would add Wetjen. He is similar to Cooper in that he is slippery fast. I do not know how fast he is, but he makes most people look slow, so he has football speed. I would not be surprised to see him take a big step forward. (how many more years can he play???? Like 1 or 2 isn't it?)

I would add Wetjen. He is similar to Cooper in that he is slippery fast. I do not know how fast he is, but he makes most people look slow, so he has football speed. I would not be surprised to see him take a big step forward. (how many more years can he play???? Like 1 or 2 isn't it?)
Any weapon is only as valuable as your ability and willingness to use it. In Iowa football this is known as the Charlie Jones equation.

Reactions: dadster and nu2u
I truly believe Kirk is enamored with a tall QB in the pocket dumping safe passes to Tight Ends and the occasional WR. Deacon Hill fits the Kirk mold and Kirk can’t let it go!
It seems to me that Marco is as tall as Hill.

I feel as though we Iowa fans always have a reason for hope and optimism year in and year out. It's like a defining trait of a Hawkeye fan.

But as long as Deacon doesn't see the field, we should see improvement.

Reactions: chuck285
The final straw was the Bowl game following Hills BTCG flop, He handed Tennesssee the Game and forced Him to go to Lainez late , He will never be able to put Hill on the Field again in front of Lainez and be able to look at the Press and say He is trying to win.
You new to Iowa?

I get the Hill comments. But try and remember, he never really played college ball before and it had been some time since he even played HS ball. I am not as high on experience (at qb) as our coaches seem to be, but it has to matter some. So yeah of course it was painful to watch. Probably was not easy to go through either, but he handled it well. (also remember he was never supposed to be the starter, Cade was. Not an excuse as to why we did not have a #2 ready to go though)
I sure hope that Lester is a QB whisperer and that we will actually see a QB develop and get better at Iowa. When was the last time that happened?

Reactions: thunderstruck1
I'm always optimistic going into the season...the O has taken that out of me after a few games the last couple years :)

If the Offense can improve to mediocre levels we're in business so I remain hopeful.

Also get that DB who ran down the Michigan returner. Damn he had some burners. Granted he missed the tackle to begin with, but holy hell he ran like lightning.

Also get that DB who ran down the Michigan returner. Damn he had some burners. Granted he missed the tackle to begin with, but holy hell he ran like lightning.
Yeah for sure!!!! If we could drop one over the top and catch him in stride, that is going to the end zone 9 times out of 10. (I know he is not supposed to be a wr, but that kind of play is what we need)

Last edited:
Agree. He probably wasn't keen on getting his ass chewed out for missing the tackle, so he did the second best thing, track the guy down and tackle him. Good on him. Never give up on a play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT