ADVERTISEMENT

House passes funding bill to avert government shutdown

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The House on Tuesday passed stopgap legislation to keep the federal government operating past this weekend, sending the bill to the Senate days before the deadline without any of the deep spending cuts conservative Republicans had sought.
Without new spending laws, the government will shut down at 12:01 a.m. Saturday, forcing federal workers — including members of the military and airport security agents — to miss paychecks on the eve of the Thanksgiving holiday. The legislation extends funding at current spending levels for roughly 20 percent of the federal government until Jan. 19, and the remaining 80 percent until Feb. 2.
The “laddered” deadlines in the bill, called a continuing resolution or CR, are designed to allow the House and Senate to pass and negotiate full-year spending bills — though the two chambers are nowhere near an agreement on those — and avoid a massive year-end spending bill called an omnibus. It could still trigger two more standoffs that lead to partial government shutdowns early next year.
“This is an important innovation,” House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) told reporters Tuesday morning. “We have broken the fever. We are not going to have a massive omnibus spending bill right before Christmas.”
Funds would expire for military and veterans programs, agriculture and food agencies, and the departments of Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, on Jan. 19. They would expire for the State, Defense, Commerce, Labor, and Health and Human Services departments, among others, on Feb. 2.
The bill passed the House under a process called “suspension of the rules,” which required two-thirds of the chamber to approve the measure because some far-right Republicans refused to allow it to proceed under a lower threshold without spending reductions.
Ninety-five lawmakers voted against the bill — four more than the number who voted against the continuing resolution on Sept. 30 that averted a shutdown and led to an effort from a small band of GOP lawmakers to oust Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) from his leadership role.

1*CfD7Y7LtZPfd_uFZNp0w6g.gif

After the funding measure passed overwhelmingly in the House, Rep. Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) — who spent decades in House Democratic leadership — highlighted his caucus’s role in getting it over the finish line.
“What we’ve seen is they cannot do rational policy without our votes,” Hoyer said. “We’re hoisted on the petard of a large number of nihilists in the Republican Party.”

After the funding measure passed overwhelmingly in the House, Rep. Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) — who spent decades in House Democratic leadership — highlighted his caucus’s role in getting it over the finish line.
“What we’ve seen is they cannot do rational policy without our votes,” Hoyer said. “We’re hoisted on the petard of a large number of nihilists in the Republican Party.”

94efc213cade7203a402f7a64a1eb86bd47886b5.gifv

Weird take Huey. I’m happy they went with the clean CR. Pleasantly surprised actually…

I’m shocked you think Johnson is better than McCarthy.
You're the one who claimed that the Dems screwed themselves bigger than life for not protecting Kevin. Turns out the new boss is like the old boss: The only way they can do their jobs is by the Dems doing it for them.

I'm happy the Dems, once again, had to save the day. 93 Rs voted against this bill. Just 2 Dems did the same. Just admit that the Rs are hot garbage already.
So it passed by 300+ votes…

Why exactly do you think Johnson is better than McCarthy? You never answered.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
You're the one who claimed that the Dems screwed themselves bigger than life for not protecting Kevin. Turns out the new boss is like the old boss: The only way they can do their jobs is by the Dems doing it for them.
So... sigh. So, when we tried to say dems played a part in the speaker votes you claimed that was not true. It was all Rs. Now, you are claiming the Rs can't do anything without the dems. So which is it?

You say you're happy it was passed. Me too. So why can't you give the Dems credit for being the ones to do most of the heavy lifting? I'm willing to credit Johnson for realizing that he needed the Dems to prevent a shutdown.
Joe and the D’s wanted a clean CR.

Johnson gave them one.

The D’s in the house voted for what they wanted.

Where’s the “heavy lifting”? 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
So... sigh. So, when we tried to say dems played a part in the speaker votes you claimed that was not true. It was all Rs. Now, you are claiming the Rs can't do anything without the dems. So which is it?
It's not the Dems responsibility to save the opposition party's leadership. It's never been this way in the history of the House. But it is the Dems responsibility save the country from shutdowns. And the Rs share in this responsibility. Fortunately the Dems take this responsibility more seriously.

Joe and the D’s wanted a clean CR.

Johnson gave them one.

The D’s in the house voted for what they wanted.

Where’s the “heavy lifting”? 😂
The votes are the heavy lifting. The negotiations where the Dems laid out what it would take to get these votes is the heavy lifting. Johnson deserves credit for being part of this. So why can't you credit the Dems for being the majority of the yay votes?

The votes are the heavy lifting. The negotiations where the Dems laid out what it would take to get these votes is the heavy lifting. Johnson deserves credit for being part of this. So why can't you credit the Dems for being the majority of the yay votes?
Wasn’t it bins that was quick to argue for pages and pages about how it was on the dems because they didnt stick their neck out and vote for Mccarthy?

I could have sworn it was bins

More Dems voted for it than R's. Kudos.

It was a clean CR....not much to "negotiate" as it's always been the D position.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
You are not familiar with the leader of China visiting CA and the clean up efforts that have taken place?

Let's run this thing in reverse. What justification could you provide that could possibly make this charade ok?
1) no. It hasnt been on my radar, but then again i dont watch cable news or much of the nightly national news so i easily could have missed it.

2) lets run it this way…you don’t think videos on the internet aren’t clipped and taken out of context?

I am sorry for not taking Clown World or SA at face value. Maybe we are throwing a chinese celebration parade due to the fact that because of their manufacturing, we can get goods cheaper and corporation can make their wares for pennies. Seems as logical as the nefariousness clown world and SA are portraying it as.

Of course, i will eat crow if there was more context to the video that proves the nefariousness implied by clown world and SA

1) no. It hasnt been on my radar, but then again i dont watch cable news or much of the nightly national news so i easily could have missed it.

2) lets run it this way…you don’t think videos on the internet aren’t clipped and taken out of context?

I am sorry for not taking Clown World or SA at face value. Maybe we are throwing a chinese celebration parade due to the fact that because of their manufacturing, we can get goods cheaper and corporation can make their wares for pennies. Seems as logical as the nefariousness clown world and SA are portraying it as.

Of course, i will eat crow if there was more context to the video that proves the nefariousness implied by clown world and SA
You have 920 messages on this site in the last 81 days. I don't give a shit what you watch, read something, use some of that time to read from a variety of sources and exercise some critical thinking.

You have 920 messages on this site in the last 81 days. I don't give a shit what you watch, read something, use some of that time to read from a variety of sources and exercise some critical thinking.
Lol. Look at you pissing your pants

Perhaps people provide context to the posts they make, or perhaps you could do it since you are the one asking for justification. People bitch about social media, but buy into any snipped (or altered) piece of video posted there and run with it.

Since you obviously have a problem with china, i assume you are not supporting china buy producing goods made there?

Reactions: cigaretteman
Lol. Look at you pissing your pants

Perhaps people provide context to the posts they make, or perhaps you could do it since you are the one asking for justification. People bitch about social media, but buy into any snipped (or altered) piece of video posted there and run with it.

Since you obviously have a problem with china, i assume you are not supporting china buy producing goods made there?
You were never a good troll and have gotten weird since the multiple name change.

There is no justification for the dropping of pants you are seeing in California by Newsome/Biden. They are cock gobblers. I'm not interested in your whataboutism. If you don't know what time talking about, take 30 minutes away from this site and go educate yourself.

You were never a good troll and have gotten weird since the multiple name change.

There is no justification for the dropping of pants you are seeing in California by Newsome/Biden. They are cock gobblers. I'm not interested in your whataboutism. If you don't know what time talking about, take 30 minutes away from this site and go educate yourself.
do you support china and their economy by purchasing goods made in china.

Yes or no

So…Mike Johnson did a good job and he’s not the Taliban? No wai!
Well he did say people "misunderstand the separation of church and state".

But he also evidently seems to get that he can't just let the government collapse on itself. I expect a move to remove him as speaker coming from the nutjobs before the end of the day.

I buy whataboutisms at Costco. Made in go****yourself Idaho.

Educate yourself.
I googled “china parade in california”
Searched the News tab and the most recent thing posted since febraury was “where to celebrate the Lunar new year in the US”

Nothing about Clown Worlds parade

I googled “china parade in california”
Searched the News tab and the most recent thing posted since febraury was “where to celebrate the Lunar new year in the US”

Nothing about Clown Worlds parade
That's because that isn't a parade. It's a welcoming committee. Keep digging. That's how ****ing gross this is.

Try "Xi comes to California" or "Newsome prepares San Francisco foe the leader of china".

I don't care what source you read just read, it's ****ing gross from Newsome and Biden.

I don't know what percent of what in my home is made in China, but I can guarantee I know where Newsomes butt plugs come from.

Nevermind the fact that's probably Chinatown...I wonder if SA freaks out every year when the people of Boston host Irish flags up during St Patrick's day

Nevermind the fact that's probably Chinatown...I wonder if SA freaks out every year when the people of Boston host Irish flags up during St Patrick's day
Did they remove all the homeless people and trash while also bringing in the king of Ireland?

Are you familiar with Newsome's "which is true" speech?

Dumb analogy is Dumb.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT