ADVERTISEMENT

House Republicans pick Rep. Steve Scalise as speaker nominee

That quote struck my curiosity because I could see it being Fake News. But attending David Duke conferences definitely lead me to believe that a Southern Louisiana politician might say something like that. So I googled about 5 different articles to see where it was being attributed from. And a couple of them led me to her. Yes she's liberal , but pragmatic from the articles I read. And her being on the business of covering Louisiana political scene for decades made her hard to ignore. But I agree with her. Scalsie is probably the best of flawed hope for something productive.
Again there is no quote of him saying it. Here is more to the story.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Imagine the roles were reversed and the Democrats were looking like such a dumpster fire. Think the Republicans would be having a heyday with that? They don't mind wallowing in their own slop.
They'd absolutely be having a heyday with it.

What do you refute from the story posted from someone who was covering f Scalise at the time of the alleged incident Is he lying?
This was the strain of thought especially among young Republicans. Which I was one at the time. Nothing Duke was pushing at the moment policy wise was incorrect or wrong. I'd compare to Louis Farrakhan and the million man march Imperfect messenger.
Scalsie simply wanted press or anything to break himself out of the pack. He probably felt the quote waa all about policy. I'm about the policies of lower spending and tax cuts etc. Thus I'm like David Duke without the KKK past. My guess it came off really bad and not as he intended. A politician with more experience wouldn't have been caught dead at a David Duke conference or rally etc.

Regarding the potentially misattributed Duke quote, even if it was said, isn't it being misinterpreted?

It's saying David Duke without all the racist/KKK stuff. That probably describes most Republicans, especially today. The grievances, victimhood, culture wars, etc. Sure, race is still an issue, but not full blown racist/KKK stuff.

From coff's article:

"Duke spoke for lower-status whites who lacked a voice."

"Eventually, the political system delivered by transforming the GOP. It started with Ross Perot’s Reform Party constituency, which Newt Gingrich helped Republicans capture. The Tea Party Movement accelerated the process, followed by Trump — who may embody Duke stripped of the racist claptrap. The post-Trump GOP now dominates among those alienated middle-class workers, while bleeding educated suburbanites.

The latest incarnation of Trump Era Republicanism is the congressional Freedom Caucus, some of whom helped pull down McCarthy. Ironically, the founding chair of that group was not Scalise, but his Trump-endorsed rival for speaker, Jim Jordan.

Given the current state of the GOP, exactly what sin did Scalise commit? It was having the wisdom to sense, and the foolishness to articulate in an unguarded interview, where his party was headed."

Regarding the potentially misattributed Duke quote, even if it was said, isn't it being misinterpreted?

It's saying David Duke without all the racist/KKK stuff. That probably describes most Republicans, especially today. The grievances, victimhood, culture wars, etc. Sure, race is still an issue, but not full blown racist/KKK stuff.

From coff's article:

"Duke spoke for lower-status whites who lacked a voice."

"Eventually, the political system delivered by transforming the GOP. It started with Ross Perot’s Reform Party constituency, which Newt Gingrich helped Republicans capture. The Tea Party Movement accelerated the process, followed by Trump — who may embody Duke stripped of the racist claptrap. The post-Trump GOP now dominates among those alienated middle-class workers, while bleeding educated suburbanites.

The latest incarnation of Trump Era Republicanism is the congressional Freedom Caucus, some of whom helped pull down McCarthy. Ironically, the founding chair of that group was not Scalise, but his Trump-endorsed rival for speaker, Jim Jordan.

Given the current state of the GOP, exactly what sin did Scalise commit? It was having the wisdom to sense, and the foolishness to articulate in an unguarded interview, where his party was headed."
Words and who u associate with matter. In the perception world. Don't hang with a KKK rep and u won't be mistaken with a KKK rep or having sympathy for them.

could you see 15 or more republicans defect to nominate a democrat. This is getting comical.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT