ADVERTISEMENT

How ‘bout that Crooks gal from Moo U?!

I can also see you stated, "I just can’t believe teams constantly play behind her allowing her to just catch and turn". Therein lies the confusion with what you said. You can't double team her all the time.
If you watched them this year that’s exactly what most did.

I don’t think this is true… she was an ISU gal from the get-go. Ames is very close to home for her and that was an important factor. And give the devil their due…Fennelly is a damn fine basketball coach and has been for years. He has a very strong “core” of youngsters on this years unit. Maybe Proctor chose to leave Iowa because they thought he should lose some weight and suggested a program for him?
;)
I've heard he did.

I opened this thread hoping to read about that gal that keyed cars at the Iowa - ISU fball game.....

leaving disappointed

Crooks NEEDS to lose some weight. She has talent, but at her weight she is bound to have a knee injury.

There could be some epic Iowa/ISU games the next few years based on the incoming recruiting classes Iowa has, and what ISU is bringing in - they're a fairly young squad already.

Crooks is going to be a pain to stop if she stays on this path.
Honestly, I'll be surprised if Iowa wins next year, although isn't the game in Iowa City? It will still be relatively early in the year so ISU will have experience and team work going for them that Iowa may not have developed yet. Not that Iowa won't be ready, but there's just a "flow" that can take a full season to develop. If the game is at Iowa that might be the one factor that could give Iowa the edge. But she is a very good player and seems to have landed in a spot perfect for her play style.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I just saw her stat line
18/20 FGs
40 pts

That's just cray.
Every single one of her made baskets was inside the restricted arc. It’s not hard to go 18-for-20 when literally every shot is just muscle the defender off you and bank in a layup.

That might be why you didn’t see me comparing Stuelke to Bill Walton after that game.

I see Bill Walton mentioned nowhere in this thread.
So maybe take a step back and enjoy impressive women's athletic accomplishments for what they are. Not what you think other people perceive them to be.

I’ve followed her season pretty closely, she attended my wife’s HS so I’ve been intrigued by her since her high school days.

She’s a force in the half court offensive sets and demands a double team just to shutdown the inbounds pass because she’s Uber efficient in the paint. But if teams like to run and gun she becomes a liability on the defensive end because she can’t consistently get back to manage her assignment. Iowa’s bigs hustle particularly on the fast break and until Audi can show progress in that area she’ll be a one dimensional player. Love her grit and tenacity but it’s the truth.

Reactions: torbee
And this will always be her problem in the NCAA. She can’t just be taller and bigger than everyone. Most contenders in the NCAA have a 6’5” post player. She isn’t athletic enough to get quality shots off against a taller big. She is also a defensive liability. She is good in the lane, but she has no chance if a team forces her into pick and roll situations. She struggles to even defend a post player in the high post area.

She’ll feast against an Iowa squad whose tallest player is Stuelke at 6”2” however.

Last edited:
Reactions: lucas80 and GOHOX69
I opened this thread hoping to read about that gal that keyed cars at the Iowa - ISU fball game.....

leaving disappointed

Crooks NEEDS to lose some weight. She has talent, but at her weight she is bound to have a knee injury.
She is going to have a host of ankle, knee, and hip issues. If she’s working as hard as she says she is right now, when she stops playing she’ll gain even more weight and be susceptible to a wide variety of avoidable long term, chronic health issues.

Also worth noting that Cameron Brink didn’t get her normal numbers either, so it‘s pretty clear they bothered each other. Great game to watch!
That was one of the BEST basketball games I have ever watched! Both teams shot free throws down the stretch….and making free throws late is an indicator of a good team.

Mt “best” game I ever watched was Iowa beating Purdue back in the day at Purdue by a score like 103-102…..this one tonight was damn near as good…..CLUTCH plays by both teams all night long…

Reactions: Bearhawk0505
Also worth noting that Cameron Brink didn’t get her normal numbers either, so it‘s pretty clear they bothered each other. Great game to watch!
I don’t understand how Crooks was not shooting free throws on the play Brink fouled out. That was a big call.

Reactions: hawkifann
And this will always be her problem in the NCAA. She can’t just be taller and bigger than everyone. Most contenders in the NCAA have a 6’5” post player. She isn’t athletic enough to get quality shots off against a taller big. She is also a defensive liability. She is good in the lane, but she has no chance if a team forces her into pick and roll situations. She struggles to even defend a post player in the high post area.

She’ll feast against an Iowa squad whose tallest player is Stuelke at 6”2” however.

Iowa does have a 6'4" C coming in next season...

• Wow
Reactions: Joes Place
As were Walton’;s where he had his perfect NCAA game back in the day.
Walton had a lot of layups in that game but he also showed athleticism and had a bunch of jump hooks and turnaround jumpers from the 7-8 foot range.

Literally all of Crooks’ shots against Maryland were from 5 feet or less. Most of them were simple layups, usually after using her superior size to send her defender flying.

Last edited:
I don’t understand how Crooks was not shooting free throws on the play Brink fouled out. That was a big call.
Agreed, the foul was Brink having her arms over the top as Crooks went up. Baffling, the announcers also thought shooting foul.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT