ADVERTISEMENT

How are the Northwestern defensive ends?

BulliesOfTheBigTen

HB All-American
Dec 12, 2004
I think this will be the single most crucial factor Saturday. With two offensive tackles injured, I see it coming down to how Iowa protects the quarterback. CJ is a gamer but these hits are starting to catch up to him. And for once, could Greg Davis provide some additional protection with the running back when the opposing defensive end is getting to the quarterback on every down? This isn't rocket science.

I think this will be the single most crucial factor Saturday. With two offensive tackles injured, I see it coming down to how Iowa protects the quarterback. CJ is a gamer but these hits are starting to catch up to him. And for once, could Greg Davis provide some additional protection with the running back when the opposing defensive end is getting to the quarterback on every down? This isn't rocket science.

Dean Lowry (L) and Deonte Gibson(R) are big, physical and athletic seniors with likely NFL futures (especially Lowry). Off the bench on 3rd down comes junior Ifeadi Odenigbo who is a blazing speed edge rusher also with a nice bull rush. Sophomore Xavier Washington plays a bit too and is solid in run defense, but not a great pass rusher. Lowry is disruptive in every phase (pass rush, run defense, tipping balls, etc), but Gibson is probably the better pure pass rusher.

In any regard, the DE position and the secondary is the strength of the NU defense. DTs are big, physical and rotate 5 players deep (so they remain fresh), but are generally unspectacular. LBs are a bit inconsistent as a unit, but Anothony Walker (MLB) makes big plays all over the field.

Dean Lowry (L) and Deonte Gibson(R) are big, physical and athletic seniors with likely NFL futures (especially Lowry). Off the bench on 3rd down comes junior Ifeadi Odenigbo who is a blazing speed edge rusher also with a nice bull rush. Sophomore Xavier Washington plays a bit too and is solid in run defense, but not a great pass rusher. Lowry is disruptive in every phase (pass rush, run defense, tipping balls, etc), but Gibson is probably the better pure pass rusher.

In any regard, the DE position and the secondary is the strength of the NU defense. DTs are big, physical and rotate 5 players deep (so they remain fresh), but are generally unspectacular. LBs are a bit inconsistent as a unit, but Anothony Walker (MLB) makes big plays all over the field.
Cool and just so we're clear.....I would like them to do none of that on Saturday. (except for the unspectacular part.....)

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: icparkerhawk
Yeah, sadly for Iowa's offensive tackles - Northwestern has very good defensive ends. It definitely will be a challenge.

The good news is that Croston will be in his 3rd game starting and Daniels at least faced some decent competition against Illinois. Smoot and Ward are both pretty good.

Geez....you need to sell cars....sounds like the 85 bears

Yeah, sadly for Iowa's offensive tackles - Northwestern has very good defensive ends. It definitely will be a challenge.

The good news is that Croston will be in his 3rd game starting and Daniels at least faced some decent competition against Illinois. Smoot and Ward are both pretty good.
Lowry is a kid that the Hawks tried hard to recruit. On our side, I wouldn't count Myers or Boettger out yet. Go Hawks!

Lowry is a kid that the Hawks tried hard to recruit. On our side, I wouldn't count Myers or Boettger out yet. Go Hawks!

NU beat Michigan State and Stanford for Gibson and beat Alabama, Ohio State, Stanford, Michigan (and generally everyone) for Odenigbo. NU has recruited well at DE in recent years.

NU beat Michigan State and Stanford for Gibson and beat Alabama, Ohio State, Stanford, Michigan (and generally everyone) for Odenigbo. NU has recruited well at DE in recent years.
Mrcat, I tried to find where NU's sack are coming from, but couldn't. Is it pretty spread out among the team, or are the ends racking them up?

Northwestern defense has 12 sacks in 6 games, tied for 10th in the Big Ten. Iowa has 19 sacks, 4th in the conference.
Yes, I found the number. I can't find the individuals who are getting them. Are the ends sack hogs, or do they have several guys with 1/2/3 sacks?

Just a guess. Looks like Iowa qb. better not hold the ball too long. Yikes. Didn't NU cream our q.b.(Stanzi ?) in the end zone and ruin our season a few years ago? Screen passes and draws please.

Just a guess. Looks like Iowa qb. better not hold the ball too long. Yikes. Didn't NU cream our q.b.(Stanzi ?) in the end zone and ruin our season a few years ago? Screen passes and draws please.
Manty, are you having a repressed memory? (You are correct) That is pretty vivid memory from only six years ago.

Stanzi fumbled in the endzone, was injured by Wooten, NW recovered in the endzone, all while face masking Stanzi. That was one play. Iowa lost by...a touchdown.

PLEASE, let's scrap that awful play where CJ fakes the handout and goes towards the right. There is always the opponents DE in his face and he gets hit hard each time. We have done that play about 10 times resulting in 10 solid hits on CJ and -20 yards.

Reactions: rainydayhawk
PLEASE, let's scrap that awful play where CJ fakes the handout and goes towards the right. There is always the opponents DE in his face and he gets hit hard each time. We have done that play about 10 times resulting in 10 solid hits on CJ and -20 yards.

Yes that play action stuff is worthless except for (off the top of my head) the 2nd and 3 rd TDs against the Cyclones and the only TD against wiscy. The boot off play action is a key component of this O and not only would you lose big passing plays the run game would really suffer.

Yes, I found the number. I can't find the individuals who are getting them. Are the ends sack hogs, or do they have several guys with 1/2/3 sacks?

http://www.nusports.com/cumestats.aspx?path=football&year=2015&

Follow the link and click on "overall defensive statistics."

You'll see the following sack totals:

Deonte Gibson - 5 sacks
Ifeadi Odenigbo - 2.5 sacks

Gibson and Lowry each have 4 QB hurries too. That's an important stat.

I wouldn't read too much into low sack numbers. Illinois didn't have many sacks on the year - and yet they were constantly getting pressure on Beathard. Similarly, my guess is that Northwestern has been playing disciplined TEAM defense ... and their DL is doing a good job of setting the edge and controlling the pocket.

One of the more telling and impressive stats:

Anthony Walker - 9.5 TFLs

Thus, they're definitely getting penetration against the run.

The whole purpose of that play is to keep defenses honest. If the defensive ends crash in - then it works like a charm. If not ... then Beathard has to run and throw the ball away.

Mrcat, I tried to find where NU's sack are coming from, but couldn't. Is it pretty spread out among the team, or are the ends racking them up?

DE Deonte Gibson has 5.
DE Ifeadi Odenigbo has 2.5. (He plays DE mostly on third down when Dean Lowry moves inside to 3 technique).
LB Joseph Jones has 1.
LB Anthony Walker has 1.
S Traveon Henry has 1.
DE Dean Lowery has 0.5. (This sack total is misleading. He's got 4 hurries, 3 PBUs and an interception off a batted ball. He frequently faces max protection and chipping TEs.)
DT Max Chapman has 0.5.
DT Tyler Lancaster has 0.5.

Edited at 10:45 AM to fix error.

Source: http://www.nusports.com/cumestats.aspx?path=football&year=2015&

Last edited:
I think we need to continue using the screen pass. Our lineman seem to get out and block pretty well and JC is very good in space; he always alludes the first guy.

Reactions: nu2u
DE Deonte Gibson has 7.
DE Ifeadi Odenigbo has 3. (He plays DE mostly on third down when Dean Lowry moves inside to 3 technique).
S Traveon Henry has 1.
LB Joseph Jones has 1.
LB Anthony Walker has 1.

I'm surprised DE Dean Lowry doesn't have any, but he has a ton of batted balls and a ton of QB hurries (forcing errant throws). He picked off one of his own batted balls against Duke. He gets his hands on 3-4 passes per game.

Your total adds up to 13 sacks but they only have 12.

Your total adds up to 13 sacks but they only have 12.
Per. NU official site
Gibson 5
Odenigbo 2 1/2
Walker 1
Henry 1
J. Jones 1
Lowry, Lancaster, Chapman 1/2 each

Total 12, we have given up 8
In addition, we have 19 qb hurries, leaders are Lowry and Gibson with 4 each

delayed handoff at the right time, let the edge rushers take themselves out of the play.....push around the "unspectacular DT's" and get Canzeri 1 on 1 with an "inconsistent LB".

GOLD Jerry, GOLD!!

Per. NU official site
Gibson 5
Odenigbo 2 1/2
Walker 1
Henry 1
J. Jones 1
Lowry, Lancaster, Chapman 1/2 each

Total 12, we have given up 8
In addition, we have 19 qb hurries, leaders are Lowry and Gibson with 4 each

Source: http://www.nusports.com/cumestats.aspx?path=football&year=2015&

I think they're shorting him on batted balls, but Lowry has been credited with 3 PBUs (or batted balls) as well and one interception off a batted ball as well.

James Daniels went to school at OT vs. Illinois last week. Hopefully he took good notes and is a quick learner.

Besides RB screens and swing passes, the good old QB draw might work well .....if you're willing to expose CJB to physical punishment.

Didn't that play call result in the only TD in Madison?

I'm betting Daniels will get a full week at tackle this week. Kirk admitted in the post-game he hadn't been getting much work there so far compared to other positions on the line.

I see a lot more running the ball this weekend...more twin TE and FB formations. Max protect type stuff. Smashmouth football at it's finest by both teams.

The over/under might not need to be much more than say 31.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT