ADVERTISEMENT

How bad would it suck to sit on the Dali out in the waters of Baltimore this long.

the-simpsons-mojo.gif

Pray for Mojo

I can understand being out at sea. But when the city is right there in front of you and you can't do jack shit, that would suck IMHO.

Reactions: millah_22
I can understand being out at sea. But when the city is right there in front of you and you can't do jack shit, that would suck IMHO.

Let's strike up the world's smallest violin for them while everybody has that same view of the city while sitting in traffic an extra hour+ each morning and afternoon due to taking that ship out of port

Reactions: lucas80
They're all Indian merchant mariners. I feel bad for them.
Meh. Crime scene, and there are immigration and flight risk concerns. My wife has a cousin that’s an engineer in a big merchant ship and he told me he rarely gets off the ship except the US, and select countries. Most times it isn’t worth the hassle.
As long as they are being provisioned, the AC and toilets work they’ll be fine.

Meh. Crime scene, and there are immigration and flight risk concerns. My wife has a cousin that’s an engineer in a big merchant ship and he told me he rarely gets off the ship except the US, and select countries. Most times it isn’t worth the hassle.
As long as they are being provisioned, the AC and toilets work they’ll be fine.
Empty out the bilge pumps in Baltimore, haha.

Seem like a decent job right now! Not much navigating, at anchor. Not assisting with bridge removal. Get paid to sit there.
Kind of what I was thinking. I watched some YouTube videos a few months back that a career deckhand posts. One entire video was about what happens when a ship is stuck at anchor long term. If you're a single person that makes a living doing that kind of work it's a pretty sweet deal.

Those ships aren't bunk houses. The crew and bridge section is literally a six story building. Complete with a commercial kitchen and recreation areas. The living quarters are basically like a smaller one bedroom hotel room.

I got to know the Mississippi Queen riverboat crew when they were stuck in town once. The river got too high for them to clear the bridges and they cancelled the cruise and sent the passengers home and moored the ship until they could head back south for the next one. They sent most of the crew home as well so it was just a skeleton crew lof the senior staff. It was a little different for them as they were attached to land so they could come and go and came down to the bar I worked at. Believe me they had no complaints about the situation...

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Kind of what I was thinking. I watched some YouTube videos a few months back that a career deckhand posts. One entire video was about what happens when a ship is stuck at anchor long term. If you're a single person that makes a living doing that kind of work it's a pretty sweet deal.

Those ships aren't bunk houses. The crew and bridge section is literally a six story building. Complete with a commercial kitchen and recreation areas. The living quarters are basically like a smaller one bedroom hotel room.

I got to know the Mississippi Queen riverboat crew when they were stuck in town once. The river got too high for them to clear the bridges and they cancelled the cruise and sent the passengers home and moored the ship until they could head back south for the next one. They sent most of the crew home as well so it was just a skeleton crew lof the senior staff. It was a little different for them as they were attached to land so they could come and go and came down to the bar I worked at. Believe me they had no complaints about the situation...
This is what the cousin said. The food is top notch. They’ve got great recreation facilities including access to all kinds of stuff via satellite. And, with the pay and time off (Plus no kids), he’ll retire pretty early.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT