ADVERTISEMENT

How 'bout them ONIONS!

The Tradition

HB King
Apr 23, 2002
Here are my onions in varying states of drying out on my curing station with a fan underneath everything.

The ones in the bag are mostly cured. The really small ones will be replanted as onion sets in the fall. The ones too big for sets will be used for stock, and then I have a whole bunch of tennis ball to baseball sized ones, and even a few softball sized ones!

There are about 30 more still out in the garden waiting to be harvested (necks aren't soft yet). Some pretty big ones still out there, too!

I see some onion soup and onion rings in my future.... GOOOOOOOO ONIONS!

cV2xuwz.jpeg

Ntv9Rn7.jpeg

tH6bYFO.jpeg

x6ixEC0.jpeg

That really is a lot of onions. Between these and the garlic I’m sure you’ve got some farts going.

Reactions: Moral
Here are my onions in varying states of drying out on my curing station with a fan underneath everything.

The ones in the bag are mostly cured. The really small ones will be replanted as onion sets in the fall. The ones too big for sets will be used for stock, and then I have a whole bunch of tennis ball to baseball sized ones, and even a few softball sized ones!

There are about 30 more still out in the garden waiting to be harvested (necks aren't soft yet). Some pretty big ones still out there, too!

cV2xuwz.jpeg

Ntv9Rn7.jpeg

tH6bYFO.jpeg

x6ixEC0.jpeg
Mrs. NoPics wants to know what variety your grow. She is impressed.

Mrs. NoPics wants to know what variety your grow. She is impressed.

They are Granex-type onions.

Specifically, most of them are "DP Sweets" purchased from NE Seeds.

I also had some old "Texas Grano 502" purchased from Gurney's leftover from the year before that I managed to germinate.

They are Granex-type onions.

Specifically, most of them are "DP Sweets" purchased from NE Seeds.

I also had some old "Texas Grano 502" purchased from Gurney's leftover from the year before that I managed to germinate.
Thanks. She's been disappointed in the onions she's been growing.

She's headed to the interwebz to pickup some of this, probably to grow for NEXT year.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Thanks. She's been disappointed in the onions she's been growing.

She's headed to the interwebz to pickup some of this, probably to grow for NEXT year.

In the south, germinate in mid-to-late September and plant in late October/early November.

They are super easy. Bugs and varmints aren't interested in them. Disease isn't a problem. You'll want a very fertile plot that is easily watered because they're really thirsty, especially during the bulbing stage.

They need lots of fertilizer, too. High nitrogen to get those tiny sprouts to make lots of leaves. But cut the feedings off when they begin to bulb up.

Some say you have to be vigilant with weeds. That's really only during the first month or two when they're tiny. I gave up on the weeding and still got lots of good-sized onions.

Last edited:
Reactions: seminoleed
In the south, germinate in late September and plant in late October/early November.

They are super easy. Bugs and varmints aren't interested in them. Disease isn't a problem. You'll want a very fertile plot that is easily watered because they're really thirsty, especially during the bulbing stage.

They need lots of fertilizer, too. High nitrogen to get those tiny sprouts to make lots of leaves. But cut the feedings off when they begin to bulb up.

Some say you have to be vigilant with weeds. That's really only during the first month or two when they're tiny. I gave up on the weeding and still got lots of good-sized onions.
Trad I believe chives are in the onion family. Could be wrong. But the flowers are so delicious. I’m using them to cook tonight. You’re onions look good brother.

Reactions: The Tradition
As a thank you for reading this thread I offer this amazing onion recipe:

1. Get a large onion and core out the top part, creating a little bowl. Do not remove the root end (but you can shave it off as long as your bowl is intact). Don't remove too much onion flesh, just enough for the next step.

2. Place a beef bullion cube in the hole you made, then top that with a healthy pat of butter.

3. Set your onion in foil and season liberally with your favorite BBQ rub (or just salt and pepper if you prefer).

4. Wrap it tight with the foil and throw it on the smoker while you're cooking other things.

5. When it's soft (this will take an hour or more) it's done. Open the foil a bit and let some smoke get in there for 20 minutes or so.

6. Take it out of the foil, plate it up and drizzle the liquid in the foil all over it.

7. Consume.

It tastes like smoked French onion soup. Try it, you'll like it!

Last edited:
As a thank you for reading this thread I offer this amazing onion recipe:

1. Get a large onion and core out the top part, creating a little bowl. Do not remove the root end (but you can shave it off as long as your bowl is intact). Don't remove too much onion flesh, just enough for the next step.

2. Place a beef bullion cube in the hole you made, then top that with a healthy pat of butter.

3. Set your onion in foil and season liberally with your favorite BBQ rub (or just salt and pepper if you prefer).

4. Wrap it tight with the foil and throw it on the smoker while you're cooking other things.

5. When it's soft (this will take an hour or more) it's done. Open the foil a bit and let some smoke get in there for 20 minutes or so.

5. Take it out of the foil, plate it up and drizzle the liquid in the foil all over it.

6. Consume.

It tastes like smoked French onion soup. Try it, you'll like it!
Thanks. I'm getting some onions at the store tomorrow and we'll try that one.

cV2xuwz.jpeg

Ntv9Rn7.jpeg

tH6bYFO.jpeg

x6ixEC0.jpeg
Look good.
Side story:
About 30 years ago i did a project at a Vidalia (sp) onion packing plant. Got invited to a “co-op meeting”.
The meeting was drinking and poker game to get away from the wives.They drink like fish and play for big $$$. Great guys.

Reactions: The Tradition
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT