ADVERTISEMENT

How Hot is Archie Miller's Seat?

Believe or not if you go to their forum he is not held in high regards for some reason. Throughout the years when his name comes up, a lot of them shoot it down. They always bring up the rape situation during his tenure at Iowa. They don’t like Dan Dakich either.
Yeah I’ve heard that before, but after losing so much in the past 5 years, I think there will be real momentum to bring back someone from the “good ole days” and take them back to “where they belong.”

Reactions: EasyEdHorton
While far from my first or 2nd choice, it's hard to believe Alford coached teams could produce worse results than Archie. He took Crean's guys in year one to a 6th seed in the BTT. That's his best showing thus far and it has been going the wrong direction ever since.

Defense is great to have, but can't be your only calling card. Archie teams offensively have been atrocious. The only things they have done consistently in four seasons is get off to slow starts, run a grinding/stagnant O, shoot FTs at a 60% clip and rank near the bottom of the league in 3-point shooting. Then, when they actually do need to lean on their good D for a big stop in crunch time for the win (see end of regulation at Wisconsin) they can't get it done either. Besides that everything is great (TIC). How is it a college pg can't teach offense?

Archie's lack of emotion and urgency has rubbed off on the team. Games vs your rival ARE bigger and should have some more emotional investment, yet IU just comes out to play like it's any other game. PU comes out dialed in to win.

Unfortunately IU probably has Archie one more year and it won't get better. Just hard to believe that the hole Crean had to dig out of was so much deeper and in year 4 he beat UK, ND, OSU and VCU getting to the Sweet 16 with Watford, VO, Hulls, Yogi and Zeller. Archie inherited way more than Crean and the product on the floor has deteriorated to nearly unwatchable.

Again, Alford far from the top of my list, but after what Archie has produced, I and probably everyone reading this, could come up with long lists of realistic names of guys who couldn't do much worse.

IU is now 8-6, 3-4 B1G.

Here are their next 5 games. Will they soon be 8-11, 3-9 in the B1G??

at Iowa on Jan 21
vs Rutgers
at Michigan
vs Illinois
vs Iowa

Unless Rutgers starts figuring it out, then IU will win that one. RU has been broke since Iowa won up there. ILL has looked a little shaky of late, as well.

But what about his future? 😎
Same as this guy's?

tom_crean_gif.gif

Since Archie Miller became Indiana’s head coach in 2017-18, the Hoosiers are just 2-9 in games immediately following a win over an AP Top-25 team, Jeff Borzello tweeted.

While far from my first or 2nd choice, it's hard to believe Alford coached teams could produce worse results than Archie. He took Crean's guys in year one to a 6th seed in the BTT. That's his best showing thus far and it has been going the wrong direction ever since.

Defense is great to have, but can't be your only calling card. Archie teams offensively have been atrocious. The only things they have done consistently in four seasons is get off to slow starts, run a grinding/stagnant O, shoot FTs at a 60% clip and rank near the bottom of the league in 3-point shooting. Then, when they actually do need to lean on their good D for a big stop in crunch time for the win (see end of regulation at Wisconsin) they can't get it done either. Besides that everything is great (TIC). How is it a college pg can't teach offense?

Archie's lack of emotion and urgency has rubbed off on the team. Games vs your rival ARE bigger and should have some more emotional investment, yet IU just comes out to play like it's any other game. PU comes out dialed in to win.

Unfortunately IU probably has Archie one more year and it won't get better. Just hard to believe that the hole Crean had to dig out of was so much deeper and in year 4 he beat UK, ND, OSU and VCU getting to the Sweet 16 with Watford, VO, Hulls, Yogi and Zeller. Archie inherited way more than Crean and the product on the floor has deteriorated to nearly unwatchable.

Again, Alford far from the top of my list, but after what Archie has produced, I and probably everyone reading this, could come up with long lists of realistic names of guys who couldn't do much worse.

Do you host on assembly call?

Fran was 4-2 vs Groce at ILL. 4-1 during the regular season and 0-1 in the BTT.

Fran is 3-5 vs Archie. 2-5 against IU and 1-0 when he was at Dayton. Archie’s won the last three.

Interesting. I read Groce's record as 4-4 and winning the last three.

Reactions: iahawks10
Interesting. I read Groce's record as 4-4 and winning the last three.

You are correct. I forgot Groce coached ILL into 2017. I was thinking he was let go at the end of 2016. He was 4-4 vs Fran, winning the last three.

Indiana just lost at home to Purdue. Purdue has beaten IU 8 straight times and 11 of the last 12.

I always thought Archie was a fraud, just like his brother, Sean Miller, head coach at Arizona.

IU's next game is at Iowa on Jan 21 (their game vs Mich State, which should have been next, is postponed). The Hoosiers follow that with a home game against Rutgers, a road game at Michigan and then home games against Illinois and Iowa.

His 4 year IU record:

2017-2018........16-15, 9-9 B1G (T-6th)
2018-2019........19-16, 8-12 B1G (9th)
2019-2020.......20-12, 9-11 B1G (T-10th)
2020-2021............8-6, 3-4 B1G (T-7th)
.TOTALS.......63-49, 29-36 B1G

His seat is now as cool as the other side of the pillow. He can cry into a large stack of 100 dollar bills though, so there are many worse things in life!

Indiana just lost at home to Purdue. Purdue has beaten IU 8 straight times and 11 of the last 12.

I always thought Archie was a fraud, just like his brother, Sean Miller, head coach at Arizona.

IU's next game is at Iowa on Jan 21 (their game vs Mich State, which should have been next, is postponed). The Hoosiers follow that with a home game against Rutgers, a road game at Michigan and then home games against Illinois and Iowa.

His 4 year IU record:

2017-2018........16-15, 9-9 B1G (T-6th)
2018-2019........19-16, 8-12 B1G (9th)
2019-2020.......20-12, 9-11 B1G (T-10th)
2020-2021............8-6, 3-4 B1G (T-7th)
.TOTALS.......63-49, 29-36 B1G
He's gone:

Rumor is a bunch of rich boosters donated the money to make this happen. The 10 million buyout was donated. Wanted him fired even if it meant Jackson-Davis leaving. Another rumor I heard from Indiana dude is a few of these boosters wanted it this year because they want 68 year old Beilein.

Kfan had a reporter on from Indiana.

one booster volunteered to pay entire buyout.

another booster agreed to pay all transition costs. He assumed that meant the buyout of the next coach.

the home run hire would be Brad Stevens or Drew from Baylor according to reporter. He wasn’t sure how realistic either is. He talked about Musselman from Arkansas being a possibility or Texas tech coach ( I could be off on the Tech).

Believe or not if you go to their forum he is not held in high regards for some reason. Throughout the years when his name comes up, a lot of them shoot it down. They always bring up the rape situation during his tenure at Iowa. They don’t like Dan Dakich either.

I'm in Indy and listen to Dakich once or twice a week. My wife won a charity auction a few years ago and I was his guest co-host for an hour. Super nice guy but I certainly don't always agree with him. On today's show he said he's not predicting it but wouldn't be surprised if Alford is named coach in the next few days.

Rumor is a bunch of rich boosters donated the money to make this happen. The 10 million buyout was donated. Wanted him fired even if it meant Jackson-Davis leaving. Another rumor I heard from Indiana dude is a few of these boosters wanted it this year because they want 68 year old Beilein.
i wonder how much longer John would want to coach

but dang, that would be an exciting hire

Wow that’s unreal....guess money talks...

Think about if you’re Archie Miller....you Know ONE guy didn’t like you enough to pay 10 MILLION just so you would no longer be coaching his favorite basketball team....

On the flip side you just got a massive windfall to not do a job so not sure there is a loser here

Wow that’s unreal....guess money talks...

Think about if you’re Archie Miller....you Know ONE guy didn’t like you enough to pay 10 MILLION just so you would no longer be coaching his favorite basketball team....

On the flip side you just got a massive windfall to not do a job so not sure there is a loser here

Looks like Mark Cuban paid the $10 million.

Wish we had a billionaire alum like him where money is no object.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Looks like Mark Cuban paid the $10 million.

Wish we had a billionaire alum like him where money is no object.
“...And it’s for those reasons you’re out Archie...”

It’s funny the richest Iowan is in the same ballpark as Cuban but I’m guessing he probably doesn’t care much about in state athletics

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT