ADVERTISEMENT

How many BIG Trny Wins get us to a 6 or 7 Seed??

I was Bowie

HB All-American
Dec 23, 2002
7 - Some think we are already here but I think we need one. That would be a big ONE because otherwise we are in 8-9 game, I think.

6 - Two. If we get the double-bye and make Championship or the single-bye and make the semis. I love this spot in the NCAA to make a run.

5 - We win it all from with 3 wins, or make the Championships with 3 wins (win or lose on the 4th). I can't see us getting any higher than 5 but we win out with 4 wins maybe a 4 seed. Same difference to me.

SIDE NOTE: Lets say we are the 4 or 5 and have to play Purdue in first game (or second). We can avenge our loss to Purdue in that game, then avenge the 2 losses to Wisky in the semis, and then avenge the MSU loss in the Championship. With avenging our loss to NW today we could then say we beat everybody in the BIG at least once. What a nice stocking in the caps for Whitey and the rest of the seniors.

GO ILLINI .... did I really say that?

I think we have a 7 seed already locked up even with an 0-1 record in the BTT, I think it will take 2 wins to move to a 6 seed and I'm not sure if winning the whole thing will still be enough to get a 5 seed.

I think we have the 7. You have to keep in mind all but a few teams will have at least one more loss. If we get to the semi's I think we get a 6. A 5 if we win the BTT.

I think if we win 1 game in the BTT and then if we lose the semifinal and it's close we can get that 6 seed. I think if we win 2 games we will get a 6 for sure as some other teams will stumble this weekend and in their tourney. I think the best we can do is a six even if we win the BTT. Otherwise I think we are a lock for no worse than a 7 seed right now.

Originally posted by markfromj:
The Sunday game has no impact. Too late.
Pretty certain this statement is wrong. Are you claiming WI's seed will not be affected whether or not they win the Big10 tourny?

Likewise a IA on a 9 game winning streak with a better RPI would get seeded higher than a team that lost on Sunday.

Originally posted by I was Bowie:
7 - Some think we are already here but I think we need one. That would be a big ONE because otherwise we are in 8-9 game, I think.

6 - Two. If we get the double-bye and make Championship or the single-bye and make the semis. I love this spot in the NCAA to make a run.

5 - We win it all from with 3 wins, or make the Championships with 3 wins (win or lose on the 4th). I can't see us getting any higher than 5 but we win out with 4 wins maybe a 4 seed. Same difference to me.

SIDE NOTE: Lets say we are the 4 or 5 and have to play Purdue in first game (or second). We can avenge our loss to Purdue in that game, then avenge the 2 losses to Wisky in the semis, and then avenge the MSU loss in the Championship. With avenging our loss to NW today we could then say we beat everybody in the BIG at least once. What a nice stocking in the caps for Whitey and the rest of the seniors.

GO ILLINI .... did I really say that?
No, we don't. One win in the Big Ten would get us a six unless something or more than one thing happens we can't control. But we are more than a solid seven so no, we don't need one more. Doesn't mean I don't want to see us win two or three more, just that every expert says that's not correct.

This post was edited on 3/7 3:35 PM by downtown hawk redux

Assuming Wisc wins tomorrow over Ohio St and we get the 5 seed next week....

I think we are a 7 seed now, but would have to win Thursday to keep it. A loss to penn st/neb would look pretty bad, but I can't see us losing to either of those teams at this point.

I think we would have to get to Sat to have a chance at a 6 seed. Not sure wins over Neb and Purdue would lift us to a 6, but that would put us at 23-11 (assuming a loss to Wisc on Sat). It think we would need some early losses by teams like SMU and Georgetown to move to 6.

If we would win Saturday I would think we would have a 6 seed safely secured. That would be 9 straight wins, 11 of our last 13, some by huge margins including a win over Wisconsin.

Not many 3 seeds would be happy to face Iowa if all of this were to happen.

I think right now we're better than every team in the Big Ten except for Wisconsin and even then we still have a good shot to beat them if we're clicking on all cylinders.

Originally posted by ynglbc:
I think right now we're better than every team in the Big Ten except for Wisconsin and even then we still have a good shot to beat them if we're clicking on all cylinders.
Don't forget Michigan State they seem to have your number.

Originally posted by backinblack23:
I think if we win 1 game in the BTT and then if we lose the semifinal and it's close we can get that 6 seed. I think if we win 2 games we will get a 6 for sure as some other teams will stumble this weekend and in their tourney. I think the best we can do is a six even if we win the BTT. Otherwise I think we are a lock for no worse than a 7 seed right now.
makes perfect sense; a 6 seed would sure be a nice reward for this team and this program

A couple sites have us as a 6 now. Just saying that even something as crazy as a 4 isn't entirely impossible depending on how teams ahead of us do.

Originally posted by scarletred:

Originally posted by ynglbc:
Don't forget Michigan State they seem to have your number.

Yeah, that's true, but I think if we face them again the Hawks will take out years of frustration upon them.

They'll have to weather the inevitable MSU mugging that they always get away with, of course...

It seems like our seed is never nearly as good as we all think it will be. I thought we got robbed last year. I would be shocked it we got a #6, but you never know. I am hoping for a 7.

Originally posted by hooper56:
It seems like our seed is never nearly as good as we all think it will be. I thought we got robbed last year. I would be shocked it we got a #6, but you never know. I am hoping for a 7.
I think last year is proof that the committee takes into account how a team is playing down the stretch if it's a clear trend, whether they say it or not. Hopefully that bodes well for us this year.

If we lose to one of the bottom teams in our first round, we could drop to an 8 seed. Win that game, and we stay as a 7. Win against Purdue, and we are close to a 6, but it will depend on other teams play and whether we finally play Wisconsin tough. Beat Wisconsin in the semis, we are almost certainly a 6. I don't know if it is possible to make it all the way to a 5 seed with a BTT championship, but it would sure be fun to find out.

Back in the 90s, when Iowa was a consistent NCAA participant and which is a long time ago, Iowa was consistently under seeded by the NCAA. None of the changes in college BBall have worked to Iowa's advantage.

Iowa's an afterthought by everyone but our alumnae and people in Iowa. Don't expect anything good for us from the NCAA selection committee.

0 wins - 50% chance at 7 or 8
1 win - 80% chance at 7, 20% at 8
2 wins 80% chance at 7, 20% chance at 6
3 wins 80% chance at 6, 20% chance at 7

This post was edited on 3/8 1:38 PM by Servbot24

I think 2 wins gets us there so much as Iowa looks good against Wisconsin at the absolute worst of that possible outcome of games played.

If OSU loses today, 5 seed if I understand this correct. A 5 is really good in the case for a dance 6 seed because it adds another win on the end of the season...always good to look good down the stretch. Assuming the 1st win against whomever, then a loss, that's 7-1 stretch...and a win over Purdue is at worst an 8-1.

But I can't argue with a 7 really, assuming a Purdue L. In retrospect, the NW and Minnesota cost Iowa two spots, and you could argue Texas/Syracuse cost them two more. 21-10 vs a very doable (again in retrospect) 25-6 and we're talking a 3 seed with the opp to move up. Play them all now, I see 4-0.

Can't change that now. All 4 of those hurt badly.

Anyway...I like Iowa's chances against Purdue even on deader legs. This team is hot, even though it's against a team that matches up well to Iowa. That means Iowa vs Wisconsin and only a repeat of the Madison game would hurt us.

jmo...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT