ADVERTISEMENT

How many dunks and shots near the rim did Iowa miss yesterday?

Good point. It also means we should have a real shot at beating them if we can beat OSU first. Which I’m pretty nervous about.

And the misses came at times in the game where Iowa was closing in.

I believe Iowa was down 5 when Perkins f***d up and tried to dunk the ball through the floor to China.

If he goes up to simply convert the dunk, Iowa is down 1 position ... instead, IL gets the ball and goes back up 7.

Things like that occurred too often Sunday.

Sorry to say, most posters here don't care because Iowa is NIT bound and it's a shit tournament.
Doesn't make any difference win or lose.

Sorry to say, most posters here don't care because Iowa is NIT bound and it's a shit tournament.

As a 57 year old Iowa fan, I don’t get that attitude but you be you. We’re still very much in the hunt for an NCAA bid and I’m going to enjoy every minute of this season. I’ve seen too many years where we were never even on the bubble.

Also don't forget that one of the missed layup or dunks was the one that Shannon goaltended when he went over Dix to bang the shot attempt off the rim when it was clearly above the rim at the time.

The refs had already called a goaltend on him in that same type of play/situation beforehand, instead of also calling a foul - as well as the ball going in regardless - so they didn't want to call him for a second goaltend or God forbid a foul.

My Moline boys missed more then they should have, it looks to me that Owen's legs may be wearing out and I don't have a clue why Brock missed those easy layups. He may have taken his eyes off the rim, but boy, those missed shots kept Iowa from closing the gap before half time. really hurt Iowa's chances for sure.

It's the athleticism of Illinois, that's why you miss layups. We got a couple sent back and we shortarmed a couple, happens all the time. We were too hyped up early, everyone missed everything and it snowballed on us. I am confident we can beat the cheaters from Champaign, not sure we can beat OSU again.

As much as I like Payton, Josh, and the four freshmen, I just didn't like Iowa's chances to make the NCAA tournament even when they made the end of the season push. Just not enough experience and muscle to go up against more experienced teams. I applauded the team to finish at 5 hundred in the Big Ten and getting them a chance to get more game in by playing in the NIT is going to pay dividends for all the underclassmen.

My Moline boys missed more then they should have, it looks to me that Owen's legs may be wearing out and I don't have a clue why Brock missed those easy layups. He may have taken his eyes off the rim, but boy, those missed shots kept Iowa from closing the gap before half time. really hurt Iowa's chances for sure.
I thought Owen hit the wall a couple weeks ago.
Impressive kid, hope he stays.

Harding just needs more PT, great passer, ball handler and beyond a pesky defender.

Yeah but we were down 20 before Brock got in. Yes, the missed layups were a problem but he helped fuel the comeback.

It's the athleticism of Illinois, that's why you miss layups. We got a couple sent back and we shortarmed a couple, happens all the time. We were too hyped up early, everyone missed everything and it snowballed on us. I am confident we can beat the cheaters from Champaign, not sure we can beat OSU again.
Nah, Iowa had 7 blocks to Illinois 5.

Not buying that, it was more to do with being out of sync from not playing for 8 days.

Reactions: jonesy5960
I think if Iowa would have beaten Illinois yesterday and had at least one win in Big 10 Tourney, they had a very good chance of making the Dance. Now, they probably need to win the Big 10 Tourney, which admittedly isn’t very likely.

As a 57 year old Iowa fan, I don’t get that attitude but you be you. We’re still very much in the hunt for an NCAA bid and I’m going to enjoy every minute of this season. I’ve seen too many years where we were never even on the bubble.
I guess you misunderstood me. I was quoting other posters saying that. I will root for Iowa no matter where or when they play. NIT or NCAA GO HAWKS.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Nah, different kind of blocks
What kind is that?

Obviously Dix missed 1 getting blocked from behind. Tony's missed dunk was trying to hard.

Owen missed a point blank left handed shot that had nothing to do with Illinois and Brock missed at least two that were uncontested.

Last edited:
Yeah but we were down 20 before Brock got in. Yes, the missed layups were a problem but he helped fuel the comeback.
He obviously brought way more than that, but Iowa looked like a team that wanted to compete and try to win the contest when Brock Harding was in the game.

Just about lifeless otherwise, aside from some moments from the Beach Boys & Owen Freeman.

As much as I like Payton, Josh, and the four freshmen, I just didn't like Iowa's chances to make the NCAA tournament even when they made the end of the season push. Just not enough experience and muscle to go up against more experienced teams. I applauded the team to finish at 5 hundred in the Big Ten and getting them a chance to get more game in by playing in the NIT is going to pay dividends for all the underclassmen.
Great post - 100% agree…👍

Seemed like a lot.

That, to me, seems to be a major reason for the defeat.

73 must be well below IL's average.

Which means, if Iowa makes those shots at the rim (or most) they would have won the game.

BIG opportunity missed.
Are you old enough to remember dunking being against the rules in men's college bball? It has been so long ago that I cant remember the reason for it being a violation but backboards were breaking back then, players were getting undercut and getting injured, maybe other reasons.

But Bill Walton and others would very deftly put the ball over the cylinder and drop it in without grabbing the rim. It is an impossible shot to block as it would immediately be defensive goaltending.

So maybe more college players should quit with the embarrasing missed dunks and just drop it over the rim and do that for layups instead of bang it too hard off the board. You have to have more ups in your drive but it is a skill to elevate like that.

What kind is that?
The kind where they swoop in and swat it away. The kind where they are 2 feet above you and coming down to crush your shot. Big difference emotionally, makes you want to get the ball out faster than you want to avoid having it done again.

The kind where they swoop in and swat it away. The kind where they are 2 feet above you and coming down to crush your shot. Big difference emotionally, makes you want to get the ball out faster than you want to avoid having it done again.
Well thats just pure fiction.

Reactions: icwesthawk
Nah, Iowa had 7 blocks to Illinois 5.

Not buying that, it was more to do with being out of sync from not playing for 8 days.
100%. Had a bad feeling last week about the week-long layoff. It completely derailed the momentum and offensive rhythm that Iowa had going in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT