ADVERTISEMENT

How many games will it take before…

hawktrooper1

HR All-State
Jan 5, 2017
We all just love our new QB?

This has been the oddest off season I can remember as a lifelong Hawks fan. Even my diehards are like “We’ll see.”

Had we gotten this type of QB transfer anytime before during the Ferentz era seems like people would be saying B1G Title or bust.

I’m pumped for this.

I think it’s a couple things holding folks back.

1) the offensive dysfunction was so bad last year. Even for me and others, who thought QB was the biggest reason, also acknowledge the OL was brutal and the WR threat was non-existent. Add in head scratching play calling like the Fullback dive and reverses to slow WRs, and it was just a brutal concoction! So all in all, just a mess of a situation.

2) the reality is we may have squandered one of the best defensive units in our lifetime. So even if the offense is much better this year, it’s hard to expect the same level of defensive dominance. Realistically it’s much more likely the D will still be good but not to last year’s level. Cheers to hoping they are tho!

Im optimistic as heck!! But balanced with a ton of caution in there too. I bet others are in the same boat.

1) the offensive dysfunction was so bad last year. Even for me and others, who thought QB was the biggest reason, also acknowledge the OL was brutal and the WR threat was non-existent. Add in head scratching play calling like the Fullback dive and reverses to slow WRs, and it was just a brutal concoction! So all in all, just a mess of a situation.

2) the reality is we may have squandered one of the best defensive units in our lifetime. So even if the offense is much better this year, it’s hard to expect the same level of defensive dominance. Realistically it’s much more likely the D will still be good but not to last year’s level. Cheers to hoping they are tho!

Im optimistic as heck!! But balanced with a ton of caution in there too. I bet others are in the same boat.
You know the crazy thing is other then Captain Jack, I think we'll actually be even BETTER then last year. Other then LVN the whole defensive line returns adding in rising stars like Graves and Craig. Add in prospects like the transfer Thompson, along with Allen Jr and Crawford, and that is a formidable group. The back group loses Moss's experience but Harris will be solid, and CDJ and Xman are true stars. I think Higgins is ready for his role, and Jackson will make an immediate impact. I see some future stars in the LB room, and Castro was fantastic as cash/safety the latter part of last season. I have zero concerns will have another top notch defense this season.

Every fan base has the right to be optimistic. The portal has upped the optimism factor for many teams. Getting a QB transfer is reason for further optimism. I recall similar optimism last season from Iowa, veteran QB, potential very good ST and D.

Last year, with Michigan and OSU on the schedule, the season would have been very successful record-wise with a win vs Nebby. That win would have made them 8-4 and 9-4 with the bowl win which is really good considering Mich and OSU as two very top, tough teams. The two losses to ISU and Illinois were much tougher to stomach as both those teams just puked it up the rest of the way after playing Iowa.

This has been the oddest off season I can remember as a lifelong Hawks fan. Even my diehards are like “We’ll see.”

Had we gotten this type of QB transfer anytime before during the Ferentz era seems like people would be saying B1G Title or bust.

I’m pumped for this.
I agree with the other posters. I’m cautiously optimistic but when you’re coming off an offensive season like last year it’s hard not to be a little wary. Agree with @kceasthawk that losing Campbell is big but X and DeJean are both future first rounders. I think we all need to see our o line actually block someone and our wide receivers actually catch passes. And after 3 years of Petras see a QB that actually has a presence in the pocket. Hopeful.

You know the crazy thing is other then Captain Jack, I think we'll actually be even BETTER then last year. Other then LVN the whole defensive line returns adding in rising stars like Graves and Craig. Add in prospects like the transfer Thompson, along with Allen Jr and Crawford, and that is a formidable group. The back group loses Moss's experience but Harris will be solid, and CDJ and Xman are true stars. I think Higgins is ready for his role, and Jackson will make an immediate impact. I see some future stars in the LB room, and Castro was fantastic as cash/safety the latter part of last season. I have zero concerns will have another top notch defense this season.

DB depth is a concern

So our worst play calls were a full back dive that probably got us a first down. I don’t remember for sure and reverses to slow wide receivers?!?! I would guess Ragini is our slowest ride receiver and I don’t remember him getting many reverses and if he did, I think he got some yards?!

And our same fans have consistently predicted, or defense will be worse next year for quite a while.

Top-five, defensive line that goes 10 deep in a top-five, defensive backfield with an old ACC linebacker and our very own linebacker that played most of last year very well… I don’t know they still look really good. Theoretically, though I suppose one day everybody will be right they’ll be worse!

Last year’s offensive problems were offensive line, offensive line, offensive line, poor quarterback play and shit tons of drop balls!

• Haha
Reactions: HogLovinHawkeye
DB depth is a concern
Maybe. Along with a few holdovers on depth I think Hall and Lee will be much more ready for the lights at CB then what we saw from Hall on last seasons Nebraska game. Not sure where Entringer fits in. Solid group of incoming safety prospects as well with Tate, Lutmer and Nestor. If we lose CDJ to the league after this year we're going to really be needing the young pups to step up, or Phil's going to need to hit the portal hard for CB talent. Unless of course some of the guys projected at safety can handle the role much as CDJ has. I think PP will figure it out...

DB depth is a concern

At corner, however, I saw a tweet awhile back that referenced the DB room a few years ago when Brent’s was still here and we had like 8 plus current NFL or now NFL caliber DBs on our roster. I honestly think it may have been more.

The point is we have talent, it’s a little green in spots!

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
So our worst play calls were a full back dive that probably got us a first down. I don’t remember for sure and reverses to slow wide receivers?!?! I would guess Ragini is our slowest ride receiver and I don’t remember him getting many reverses and if he did, I think he got some yards?!

And our same fans have consistently predicted, or defense will be worse next year for quite a while.

Top-five, defensive line that goes 10 deep in a top-five, defensive backfield with an old ACC linebacker and our very own linebacker that played most of last year very well… I don’t know they still look really good. Theoretically, though I suppose one day everybody will be right they’ll be worse!

Last year’s offensive problems were offensive line, offensive line, offensive line, poor quarterback play and shit tons of drop balls!

@HogLovinHawkeye I hoped you’d respond to this. Which part was funny, that I said our offensive line, QB play & WR play was poor?!

• Haha
Maybe. Along with a few holdovers on depth I think Hall and Lee will be much more ready for the lights at CB then what we saw from Hall on last seasons Nebraska game. Not sure where Entringer fits in. Solid group of incoming safety prospects as well with Tate, Lutmer and Nestor. If we lose CDJ to the league after this year we're going to really be needing the young pups to step up, or Phil's going to need to hit the portal hard for CB talent. Unless of course some of the guys projected at safety can handle the role much as CDJ has. I think PP will figure it out...

He will….we are a machine at TE & DB! And really, really good at LB & DL as well.

Anyone who laughs at that or “changes” that doesn’t know football and isn’t honest with himself.

🤓

• Haha

I’m pumped for this.
I'm really confident that the personnel is in place at every position with the exception of center and the two tackle positions. They were really bad last year and I'm not yet convinced that these problems were solved. The oline will determine how far this team goes. If much improved, and McNamara stays healthy, I really like their chances to win the West. If they look anything like last year, additions like McNamara, All, and Brown won't have nearly the impact they otherwise would.

a qb who actually makes the makeable throws at a high clip (on gameday not just practice) and maintains composure would be nice. i think cade will do that. that said he’s coming back from serious injury, so deacon needs to be ready as well. hope we give qb2 at least 1 quarter in all the ooc games regardless of qb1’s performance.

I’m trying not to vomit recalling the FB dive for a fumble into the end zone against ISU (after Bruce FELL at the one yard line - Lordy). Then also the failed reverse (jet sweep or end arounds) against Illinois that lost us yards and cost points - and likely the game. There were other failed reverses during the year too - with no burners at WR.

I actually don’t mind BFs play calling btw (lightning rod topic!!), but the fullback dive and reverse are two plays I wish would get lost from the playbook.

• Haha
There's a number of variables at play, so it's tough to say. Cade is a proven winner, so there's little concern there. The O-Line is my first concern, last year was so bad, I don't see it getting any worse. So as long as they can give him time to throw, things will immediately start looking better.

The other concern is Brian's play-calling. It's strange, when I watch either the first drive against Kentucky in bowl game, or highlights from 3-4 years ago, the play calling wasn't that bad. But last year was just egregious. Perhaps with more weapons on the field, Brian will be more willing to open it up a bit? Maybe he'll let Cade choose the play from time to time?

I have faith in our new receivers, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous. Hopefully we utilize them well.

If I had to guess, I think they will throw everything and the kitchen sink on the field the first game. Utah State's defense statistically is very bad. So Kirk and Brian will put on a show and score 50 points, both to show that the offense has "changed" and to also help with Brian's 25 point requirement.

• Haha
a qb who actually makes the makeable throws at a high clip (on gameday not just practice) and maintains composure would be nice. i think cade will do that. that said he’s coming back from serious injury, so deacon needs to be ready as well. hope we give qb2 at least 1 quarter in all the ooc games regardless of qb1’s performance.
Will a healthy SP take a snap at all this season?

• Haha
I’m trying not to vomit recalling the FB dive for a fumble into the end zone against ISU (after Bruce FELL at the one yard line - Lordy). Then also the failed reverse (jet sweep or end arounds) against Illinois that lost us yards and cost points - and likely the game. There were other failed reverses during the year too - with no burners at WR.

I actually don’t mind BFs play calling btw (lightning rod topic!!), but the fullback dive and reverse are two plays I wish would get lost from the playbook.

I don’t know, the FB dive has got us 1st downs many times and I’m afraid you’ll see it more this year with Large, in fact I’m hoping he is more involved in the O.

Catching and the occasional run!

Reactions: pistachio1999

1. spot on. I hope that there is improvement in OL and WR, but until they play we just won't know. QB improvement is a given just because of the change, but I do worry about Cade's knee. I just hope he is somewhat mobile.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene

I’m not a BF apologist, I think he’s cost Iowa on the recruiting trail. However, his play calling isn’t as bad as some make it out to be. Not perfect but not bad. I bet a lot of the fans cursing at the failed end arounds/reverses are the same ones screaming about lack of creativity.

Personally, I’d like to see them ditch the zone blocking scheme. It seems to me that zone blocking scheme was designed to outflank slow moving linebackers with more athletic O linemen than teams were accustomed to in the early 2000s. Now everyone has fast linebackers that are able to slash the gaps a lot faster. They don’t need to necessarily abandon it all together, but I’d prefer they run fewer stretch plays.

Last edited:
DB depth is a concern
Edit: I do see that you said depth.

As long as we don't get injured it's looking pretty good. 😀

I think I saw a publication or 2 that had our defensive backfield number 1 in the country cookie.

Quick search, not number 1 in either of these but 2 and 6.
I'll take it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I’m not a BF apologist, I think he’s cost Iowa on the recruiting trail. However, his play calling isn’t as bad as some make it out to be. Not perfect but not bad. I bet a lot of the fans cursing at the failed end arounds/reverses are the same ones screaming about lack of creativity.

Personally, I’d like to see them ditch the zone blocking scheme. It seems to me that zoom blocking scheme was designed to outflank slow moving linebackers with more athletic O linemen than teams were accustomed to in the early 2000s. Now everyone has fast linebackers that are able to slash the gaps a lot faster. They don’t need to necessarily abandon it all together, but I’d prefer they run fewer stretch plays.
NFL teams use zone blocking.

Average Height & Weight of NFL Offensive Linemen (2023)​

ByCoach HortonApril 2, 2023
I’ve been a collegiate sports performance coach for 20 years. One thing I always felt was effective was showing guys the heights and weights of players at their position in the NFL.
It helped give many players the extra motivation needed to gain weight when they were able to compare themselves to guys at the next level. Sometimes it was even a stark reality check for, say, tight ends who thought 210 pounds was ‘about average’ to play in the NFL. (Spoiler Alert: It’s not)
So, this is essentially the same research I would share with players, but now I’m sharing it with you. I took 53-man active rosters for the 2022 season (just before the final week of the season – Jan 2023), almost 1700 players total and broke them down by position.
For this guide, I took an average of the heights and weights of the 290 active Offensive Linemen (Tackles, Guards and Centers) across the league. In addition, just for fun, I listed the tallest, shortest, heaviest and lightest Offensive Linemen as well. Go ahead and impress someone today with your newfound random football knowledge.

Average Height of an NFL Offensive Lineman​

The average height of an NFL Offensive Lineman is 76.88 inches (almost 6’5″).
Height of NFL Offensive Linemen 2023

Average Weight of an NFL Offensive Lineman​

The average weight of an NFL Offensive Lineman is 314.82 pounds.
Weight of NFL Offensive Linemen 2023

Reactions: Sett1997

Yep.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
It all boils down to vastly improved OL play. Iowa is still a team that needs to run the football to be successful. They have the backs to do it.

If the OL is not significantly better this season, then Barnett needs fired without question. For the first time in almost twenty years, there is a lot of talent at skill positions. The OL has to get it together or all that talent is going to be squandered.

No more excuses. The OL has to get it done this year.

Edit: I do see that you said depth.

As long as we don't get injured it's looking pretty good. 😀

I think I saw a publication or 2 that had our defensive backfield number 1 in the country cookie.

Quick search, not number 1 in either of these but 2 and 6.
I'll take it.

Look at last year, CDJ was the 3rd choice to play outside and we needed him there by week 3 or 4? Where we at if we need that again this year?

If this is the case, heads need to roll and Kirk Ferentz needs to pack his things up.
care to bet on how good the OL be this fall real simple wager
the OL IS better than posters want to be = a ban bet on that.
they are better posters have to leave
they are worse and I leave,

simple but effective.

now its time to put up or STFU.

simple but effective.

That’s a lose-lose proposition for us. No one wants the OL to suck but everyone wants you to leave.

Personally, I’d like to see them ditch the zone blocking scheme. It seems to me that zoom blocking scheme was designed to outflank slow moving linebackers with more athletic O linemen than teams were accustomed to in the early 2000s. Now everyone has fast linebackers that are able to slash the gaps a lot faster. They don’t need to necessarily abandon it all together, but I’d prefer they run fewer stretch plays.

This by 100, I think we need more diverse blocking, not different just more diverse and I also think BF is a decent if not somewhat inconsistent play caller…

With that said this scandal didn’t help recruiting and although he is a better human now, he has been a pompous insensitive prick for much of his career and he IS the coordinator of a very poor unit.

So no pass, but as is my thing, our fans often wail at the wind. His dad is still his handcuff and his dad also has put together a good program….

So what are you going to do..,🤷‍♂️

simple but effective.

Give us what you think are legitimate numbers. Where do we need to rank in the big Ten in rushing yards? I think we have a legitimate stud running back. I think it's fair to say we should average around 150 yards a game. Instead of just tossing shit off the wall like you usually do give us what you think is a real amount.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Give us what you think are legitimate numbers. Where do we need to rank in the big Ten in rushing yards? I think we have a legitimate stud running back. I think it's fair to say we should average around 150 yards a game. Instead of just tossing shit off the wall like you usually do give us what you think is a real amount.
no you set the numbers so I know what it is that you are demanding.

I can’t help but feel 200 is doable?? So 175-180?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT