ADVERTISEMENT

How many radio announcers announced Iowa football contemporaneously

ChipHilton

HB Legend
Sep 8, 2001
in the heyday of independent station broadcasts? It seems like I've heard the number 14, but that could have been a dream. @Ancient Hawkeye, you got anything on this? @Suterman?

The most I can recall personally hearing for sure in a given year was probably 5 . Zabel, Gonder, Clausen, Frosty, Brooksie. There may have been another Iowa City announcer in the 70s, but that may be another dream. I think I listened to a Mason City announcer as a squirt in my really early radioside days of '61-63, but the MC station could have had a feed. Surely there was someone from the Quad Cities, or maybe someone from KRNT or places like Shenandoah, Muscatine, Ottumwa or Dubuque.

Back in the 80s and 90s, I used to try to sample Brooksie and Frosty in the first half, the Big Shoe when it got a little more serious and Z when it looked like it might get memorable at the end- '87 Ohio State or '81 Nebraska/Michigan kind of memorable, for example.

Elk's Broadcasting History thread got the old brain to churning on the subject...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News