ADVERTISEMENT

How many times a year do you cook turkey?

How often do you cook turkey?

• Never

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Only on Thanksgiving

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • 2 times per year

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • 3-4 times per year

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • 5-6 times per year

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • More than 7 times per year

Votes: 8 10.3%

• Total voters

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
This poll isn't necessarily about cooking a giant Norman Rockwell bird. It's about cooking any sort of turkey parts. We eat deli turkey on sandwiches year around, but do you ever cook just a turkey breast or some legs?

Growing up, we always had a full-bird turkey on Thanksgiving AND Christmas. Now we have prime rib on Christmas Eve and ham on Christmas Day.

But I do smoked turkey legs at least once a year and recently cooked a turkey breast which was fabulous on sammiches.

So, my vote is 3-4 times a year.

In college Walmart would have the .39/lb bird around thanksgiving and we’d get like 5 and that would be what we ate until it was all gone. Now it’s just if whoever is hosting our family thanksgiving does a bird.

Reactions: SeaPA
Once a year cook a whole one but probably my favorite goto for sandwiches throughout the year.

Maybe twice. Whole bird for turkey day and smoke a breast or two during the rest of the year.

My family's not real big on traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Most years we go out of town. Otherwise it could be steak or enchiladas or anything else that sounds good. It's rarely ever turkey. Although I do like smoked turkey at bbq places, I've never done one in the smoker.

This poll isn't necessarily about cooking a giant Norman Rockwell bird. It's about cooking any sort of turkey parts. We eat deli turkey on sandwiches year around, but do you ever cook just a turkey breast or some legs?

Growing up, we always had a full-bird turkey on Thanksgiving AND Christmas. Now we have prime rib on Christmas Eve and ham on Christmas Day.

But I do smoked turkey legs at least once a year and recently cooked a turkey breast which was fabulous on sammiches.

Turkey is ridiculously cheap. I just bought two for $.49 a lb. If I had more freezer space I would have bought four or five. Instead, I already cooked one on Tuesday while saving the bigger one for Thanksgiving. And if post Thanksgiving prices are as good I’ll buy two more.

My sous vide then smoked Turkeys are easy to make with the equipment I have and always turn out amazing. So I’d cook 4-6 a year. The leftover Turkey sandwiches, Turkey tetrazzini, and white and green chilis are excellent. And it’s dirt cheap.

In college Walmart would have the .39/lb bird around thanksgiving and we’d get like 5 and that would be what we ate until it was all gone. Now it’s just if whoever is hosting our family thanksgiving does a bird.

Yeah, when I was young and poor I would buy a turkey a couples a year and get about ten meals out of it. Dirt cheap.

Turkey is only for holidays and making girlfriends, who have unopened collections of toys, fall asleep. What’s that chemical in turkey called?

Reactions: win4jj
Mrs. Ed (no pics) has become a master at smoking a turkey over charcoal in a Weber. So we have one at Tgiving and Christmas, and usually one later in the year and have family over then as well.

0. I even have 3 HoneyBaked whole turkeys in my deep freeze I got as gifts over the years. Which reminds me they probably need to be thrown out.

Always a full bird on Thanksgiving.
Sometimes a full bird on Christmas.
Once or twice a year I'll smoke a turkey breast. Should probably do those more often, they are very easy - about as easy as a pork butt in being impossible to screw up; they take the smoke flavor nicely, and they're easy to slice/cut/chop for serving.
Only eat deli sliced turkey if it's by mistake.

I voted 3-4.

Whole turkey maybe three times or so. A turkey breast, more times then I could count. Then there's turkey tenders or turkey breast tenderloins on the grill we make pretty often.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Nobody in my family likes dark meat so a whole turkey would just go to waste. If we make turkey at all we just use the pre-packaged breasts, and then usually only on Thanksgiving.

It often depends on if a store lowers their prices right after a holiday. One year, Target had turkeys at $.05/lb., so we had that on New Years day.

Reactions: lucas80
Nobody in my family likes dark meat so a whole turkey would just go to waste. If we make turkey at all we just use the pre-packaged breasts, and then usually only on Thanksgiving.
That's interesting. I like dark meat. Especially leftovers with rice.

Turkey sausage and diced sirloin are my go to meats for chili, so multiple times yearly. We typically cook a whole bird once, turkey breasts from time to time. We try not to over do it on red meat.

After many, many attempts, I have determined that I don't know how to cook a turkey that isn't as dry as sand. I also don't like carving a turkey. So, I guess I have given up.

So, it's usually a bone-in ham for us at Holiday time! Pretty hard tp screw it up.

Full turkey, once on Thanksgiving. I try to pick up a turkey breast 3-4 times a year to throw on the smoker. For me, turkey is ok with all the traditional fixins for Thanksgiving but very under rated throughout the year when done other ways.

Reactions: Hawki97
Full turkey, once on Thanksgiving. I try to pick up a turkey breast 3-4 times a year to throw on the smoker. For me, turkey is ok with all the traditional fixins for Thanksgiving but very under rated throughout the year when done other ways.

I'm the same way. Pick up a boneless breast a few times a year and smoke it for sandwiches, tetrazzini, etc.

I usually just cook it once, then eat it.

No idea why you'd cook turkey multiple times before eating it...Unless you include re-heating the leftovers as "cooking". But then it's mostly 2x for any serving.

Thanksgiving is the only time I will cook a whole turkey… But I eat a lot of ground turkey or turkey cutlets.

Only on Thanksgiving and even then my family isn't big on turkey but I force the issue. We're having turkey.

Would love to smoke a turkey a few times a year but can barely pull it off on Thanksgiving so I stick to beef and pork.

Never.

15 straight years of picking one up at Rudy's BBQ for Thanksgiving Dinner.

TX-Turkey-Corkscrew-BBQ.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT