ADVERTISEMENT

Genuinely conflicted about this QC Times story ---- what do you think?

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
On the one hand, I appreciate the effort of the reporter having to deal with the lack of official details from law enforcement at the time.

On the other, though, what purpose in terms of informing the public does this piece serve? Is a snapshot of the neighborhood reaction, when no one in the neighborhood had any idea what went down, even newsworthy or relevant? Part of me feels like the article is a bit self-indulgent and an attempt by the reporter to make a routine tragedy somehow sexier or more interesting.

What do you think of it:

'It's been a terrible day': Death on a quiet street in Moline​

642755143cc1a.image.jpg

The elderly man with the overgrown yard in the 900 block of 40th Street in Moline sits in his chair almost every evening when the weather permits it.

He likes to watch his neighbors emerge from their 720-square-foot, single story homes to walk their dogs. He likes to listen to the birds sing the sun down.

The elderly man was wearing a bomber jacket and khaki pants and a stocking cap Thursday evening when his gaze settled on the little white house numbered 966. He watched as a man led a young girl up its driveway. Her left hand gripped a wheeled suitcase and she never lifted her head.

The elderly man didn't want to talk. He didn't want to give his name. Other residents of the neighborhood feared giving their names, too.

"It's been a terrible day, I think," was all the elderly man offered to explain the mood on his street.

The quiet of the neighborhood was shattered just after 10 a.m. Thursday, as the Moline Police Department responded to the report of a shooting inside 966 40th St., according to a department news release. Upon arrival, officers heard someone inside calling for help.

After forcing entry, officers found a 35-year-old woman alive but shot in both legs. Police also found a 55-year-old man who was dead from an apparent gunshot wound. The pair lived together at the home.

The man who died in the shooting was identified as Maurice Davis, 55, Moline, Rock Island County Coroner Brian Gustafson said Friday. The woman was transported to a local hospital where she was in serious condition.

A nearby neighbor said Thursday morning was like any other — until police cars and EMS wagons filled the street in front of the little house at 966.

"I never heard any gun shots, that's for sure," the neighbor said. "I was home for part of that morning. I saw the police come and I had no idea what was going on until we heard later."
The neighbor, who has lived on the block with her husband for just over a year, said she was "shocked."

"They were a quiet couple, there was never a lot of noise," she said. "We never really talked to them, but we knew them by sight."

The woman's husband said the people who lived in the little white house "loved to grill out."

"When it got warm, they were always cooking out," he said. "It always seemed friendly and like they were having a good time. They weren't loud or anything like that. They were just out enjoying themselves."
Another married couple down the block echoed their neighbors.

"There's never been any problem at that house (966) ever in the time we've been here," said Hannah, who offered her first name only. "This neighborhood is some older people who have lived here a long time and a lot of renters. "Renters with dogs."

Like the other couple living down the block, Hannah and her husband said they had no idea anything happened in the neighborhood until police cars started lining the street.

"We were both working from home this (Thursday) morning," Hannah said. "We didn't hear a thing. And even when we don't hear stuff, the dog usually hears it and lets us know. It was a quiet morning until the police started showing up.

"I think everyone who lives here is shocked."

The elderly man was still in his chair in his front yard when the young girl emerged from the little white house at 966. The sky was darker and a few patches of pink offered evidence of the setting sun.

Somewhere a dog barked.

The elderly man watched as the man guided the girl back down the driveway, her suitcase trailing behind. She never lifted her head.

Well this is more up your alley than most of us. I assume its somewhat to sell stories.

My experience over the years with the press is that unless I am stealing or fuggin somebody they dont care what I do.

I find it interesting, because the typical breaking homicide story is usually like this:

ROCK ISLAND, Ill. — Rock Island County Coroner, Brian Gustafson, identified the man killed in Rock Island on Saturday morning as 26-year-old Tavian Petersen-Brown of Davenport.

Around 12:24 a.m. on Saturday morning, police responded to a call of a man being shot inside of a residence in the 1000 block of 14th street.

Officers found Petersen-Brown suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. He was transported to a local hospital, where he eventually died.

This case is being investigated as a homicide by the Rock Island Police Department’s Criminal Investigation Division.

No arrests have been made at this time and no further information is available at this time.

Anyone with information related to this case is asked to contact the Rock Island Police Department at (309) 732-2677 or Crime Stoppers at (309) 762-9500 or using the P3 Tips app.

Very bare bones reporting, short on details, "just the facts" (what little there are at the time.)

And those kinds of crime stories don't do much for me either, beyond letting a reader know that "hey, someone was murdered and cops don't have a suspect yet."

But I'm also not sure what the Times' version posted above does "better" really. I mean, I guess we know it's a usually quiet neighborhood (but aren't most when there isn't a crime being committed?) and that the residents didn't know anything happened until cops showed up (but isn't this pretty standard too these days?)

Did anyone else feel like the writer was trying a bit too hard to make it "literary" - for lack of a better word - or did you like that storytelling aspect? I am genuinely curious what readers prefer.

Relative? Cop? Caseworker?

That is another reason I don't think this story is that good --- there are details, but they are not fleshed out at all.
I agree, it’s not a good article at all. At least we know what the old man sitting in his yard was wearing though. That’s very useful information.

Reactions: torbee
On the one hand, I appreciate the effort of the reporter having to deal with the lack of official details from law enforcement at the time.

On the other, though, what purpose in terms of informing the public does this piece serve? Is a snapshot of the neighborhood reaction, when no one in the neighborhood had any idea what went down, even newsworthy or relevant? Part of me feels like the article is a bit self-indulgent and an attempt by the reporter to make a routine tragedy somehow sexier or more interesting.

What do you think of it:

'It's been a terrible day': Death on a quiet street in Moline​

642755143cc1a.image.jpg

The elderly man with the overgrown yard in the 900 block of 40th Street in Moline sits in his chair almost every evening when the weather permits it.

He likes to watch his neighbors emerge from their 720-square-foot, single story homes to walk their dogs. He likes to listen to the birds sing the sun down.

The elderly man was wearing a bomber jacket and khaki pants and a stocking cap Thursday evening when his gaze settled on the little white house numbered 966. He watched as a man led a young girl up its driveway. Her left hand gripped a wheeled suitcase and she never lifted her head.

The elderly man didn't want to talk. He didn't want to give his name. Other residents of the neighborhood feared giving their names, too.

"It's been a terrible day, I think," was all the elderly man offered to explain the mood on his street.

The quiet of the neighborhood was shattered just after 10 a.m. Thursday, as the Moline Police Department responded to the report of a shooting inside 966 40th St., according to a department news release. Upon arrival, officers heard someone inside calling for help.

After forcing entry, officers found a 35-year-old woman alive but shot in both legs. Police also found a 55-year-old man who was dead from an apparent gunshot wound. The pair lived together at the home.

The man who died in the shooting was identified as Maurice Davis, 55, Moline, Rock Island County Coroner Brian Gustafson said Friday. The woman was transported to a local hospital where she was in serious condition.

A nearby neighbor said Thursday morning was like any other — until police cars and EMS wagons filled the street in front of the little house at 966.

"I never heard any gun shots, that's for sure," the neighbor said. "I was home for part of that morning. I saw the police come and I had no idea what was going on until we heard later."
The neighbor, who has lived on the block with her husband for just over a year, said she was "shocked."

"They were a quiet couple, there was never a lot of noise," she said. "We never really talked to them, but we knew them by sight."

The woman's husband said the people who lived in the little white house "loved to grill out."

"When it got warm, they were always cooking out," he said. "It always seemed friendly and like they were having a good time. They weren't loud or anything like that. They were just out enjoying themselves."
Another married couple down the block echoed their neighbors.

"There's never been any problem at that house (966) ever in the time we've been here," said Hannah, who offered her first name only. "This neighborhood is some older people who have lived here a long time and a lot of renters. "Renters with dogs."

Like the other couple living down the block, Hannah and her husband said they had no idea anything happened in the neighborhood until police cars started lining the street.

"We were both working from home this (Thursday) morning," Hannah said. "We didn't hear a thing. And even when we don't hear stuff, the dog usually hears it and lets us know. It was a quiet morning until the police started showing up.

"I think everyone who lives here is shocked."

The elderly man was still in his chair in his front yard when the young girl emerged from the little white house at 966. The sky was darker and a few patches of pink offered evidence of the setting sun.

Somewhere a dog barked.

The elderly man watched as the man guided the girl back down the driveway, her suitcase trailing behind. She never lifted her head.

I agree. The reporter is trying too hard.

Dateline always starts out, " Bullfrog Corners was a quiet, tree lined town of 5,000. Friday night football was the biggest show in town. It was where most folks knew everyone on the block by their first names and left their doors unlocked, that is until Haywood Jablowme was found brutally slaughtered, stabbed 69 times with a screw driver, his testicles removed. No, this was no random robbery, oh no, this was personal.
Haywood was the captain of the football team, king of the prom and married his high school sweetheart, Kitty Bush. At first everything was perfect. Kitty would light up a room. But then there was talk, rumors of infidelity, then what'da ya know..."
artworks-000106583728-8nq9wv-t500x500.jpg

I actually thought this was going to be about an underage prostitution ring when I read the first paragraph.

Misleading story is misleading.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT