ADVERTISEMENT

How much did you try to steer your kid’s when choosing a major?

Why not education?
Because the job gets worse and worse. I don't know for sure about teaching in college but that appears to be under attack too. There's just alot of us who wouldn't do it again, teachers are leaving in record numbers, we can't get subs because the job sucks, paras are vastly underpaid, and the amount of verbal and physical assaults from kids - basically all the behaviors that we complain about - make the job miserable. Trying to get kids to do things they don't want to do isn't easy. All parents know this, but then try it with 25 kids from various backgrounds. Louis CK explains it briefly...

Because the job gets worse and worse. I don't know for sure about teaching in college but that appears to be under attack too. There's just alot of us who wouldn't do it again, teachers are leaving in record numbers, we can't get subs because the job sucks, paras are vastly underpaid, and the amount of verbal and physical assaults from kids - basically all the behaviors that we complain about - make the job miserable. Trying to get kids to do things they don't want to do isn't easy. All parents know this, but then try it with 25 kids from various backgrounds. Louis CK explains it briefly...

Yep, that is why we encouraged our son not to go into education.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I think you’re silly if you don’t believe nearly everyone has an agenda. Also, I’ve noticed that calling someone you don’t agree with a “Karen” is used everywhere. It’s almost used so much it has no real meaning anymore.

Ok. Fat women in yoga pants with big mouths and small brains.

Lots of makeup. Grease Paint and Monkey Brains.

How's that?

Define “pay well”. I’m a civil engineer in Iowa making 120k at age 31. It’s well enough for me. Been with the same company since college too, never tried shop around for a higher salary, so probably could be making a little more.
That’s definitely great money at 31. I probably shouldn’t have lumped CEs and Arch together as Civil is so diverse. Municipalities and small firms can’t match what an HDR or Kiewit can pay.

My daughter is currently in a CAD program and is the only female left after a couple semesters.

She chose it because she enjoyed the portion on CAD while in an engineering type class while in high school, plus her tuition is paid for while in the program. I’ve been dropping hints about moving on to civil engineering or architecture once she gets done next year.

Earlier this week she said she’s strongly considering mechanical engineering. However, I’m wondering if I possibly pushed her into thinking that. Obviously we all want our kids to be successful but I don’t want her to resent whatever she chooses.

How much of an impact did you have on your kid’s choice in what they majored in?
I’m pushing for biz but he wants to do criminology and hopefully be in the FBI someday. He will be a freshman this fall so we will see where his interests take him…

Reactions: swagsurfer02
I'm not a parent, but for me I'd never try and steer my kid(s) in a direction; it's their decision.

My parents gave me 100% choice for my major. I am about 75% sure my dad doesn't even know what what either of my undergrad degrees were in or my Master's 😂

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
No there are a lot of women just like that in Iowa. On any weekend, go to the retail orgy on Oralabor Rd and they populate the area.

Any Hy-Vee....any Fareway

Man….I have been to a lot of stores on Oralabor but haven’t seen this suburban woman orgy you speak of…..

Next time take photos, videos, names and addresses

Reactions: Tenacious E
Man….I have been to a lot of stores on Oralabor but haven’t seen this suburban woman orgy you speak of…..

Next time take photos, videos, names and addresses
It’s almost like he’s being a troll who doesn’t actually know about what he’s posting….

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

• Love
Reactions: swagsurfer02
She’s at a community college currently. Since I moved I’m looking at universities out west to be closer to me.
Gotcha; I missed that you moved. Where out west?

Engineering schools often don’t take many transfer students, you might want to cast a wide net.

Reactions: Tom Paris
My daughter is currently in a CAD program and is the only female left after a couple semesters.

She chose it because she enjoyed the portion on CAD while in an engineering type class while in high school, plus her tuition is paid for while in the program. I’ve been dropping hints about moving on to civil engineering or architecture once she gets done next year.

Earlier this week she said she’s strongly considering mechanical engineering. However, I’m wondering if I possibly pushed her into thinking that. Obviously we all want our kids to be successful but I don’t want her to resent whatever she chooses.

How much of an impact did you have on your kid’s choice in what they majored in?
She’s white like you.

Zero pushing / lot's of listening,.. I felt that this was an important decision that only they could make...

My oldest is about to start 7th grade. He wants to be an aerospace engineer.

He has chosen that himself, and it very well may change.

But we are starting in earnest now to build his resume to get into a top school. To get into the top schools, you really have to start the process around middle school.

He’s taking 9th grade math this year so he can get a few college math courses done before HS graduation. We are also mapping out extracurriculars. He’s already making plans to start a competitive sailing team at his school, for example. A lot of the top candidates start successful businesses, so we need to start gearing up for that.

I'm a little late to this thread but I have positives and negatives to say on it.

On one hand I think it's a positive to steer kids away from majors that have very little chance of being monetized. On the other hand I think you also not to be careful to push a major on them.

I would suggest looking at some majors and pointing out that obvious that it's not easy to monetize those majors. But don't try to influence them outside of that.

But honestly maybe I'm not the person to ask. I never got a job in the thing I actually majored in but got a job working using the experience I gained from a major that I quit in favor of the major I actually graduated with.

The only thing I told them is to find something they enjoyed and were good at.

Other than that, no steering. Well, my wife (the guidance counselor) tried steering our youngest son away from education...she failed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT