ADVERTISEMENT

How much should it cost to resurface a concrete swimming pool deck?

The Tradition

HB King
Apr 23, 2002
The swimming pool deck here at Tradition Manor needs to be resurfaced. We've painted/stained a couple of times and it just has to be redone every six months or so.

We got a couple of bids and the first guy was going to apply some sort of great epoxy or something and that was supposed to be $3,000. The second guy said that proposed solution would fail unless the concrete was ground down first before resurfacing, and that is supposed to cost $5,100.

Any HROT home improvement experts have any opinions on these bids?

About 420.

Just kidding. It's a fairly large pool deck but of course there's a big oddly-shaped swimming pool in the middle, and well as an in ground spa on a raised level, and steps coming down from the slider that will all have to be resurfaced. Calculating the sq.ft. would be difficult.

Trad - We had a similar issue last summer. Ended up going with a composite recycled bamboo acrylic manufactured to look like wood. It wasn't cheap as we have a large deck area (1200 sq ft) and it was like $6,700. But three of them showed up and got it done in one day. Its supposed to last 25 years.

Trad - We had a similar issue last summer. Ended up going with a composite recycled bamboo acrylic manufactured to look like wood. It wasn't cheap as we have a large deck area (1200 sq ft) and it was like $6,700. But three of them showed up and got it done in one day. Its supposed to last 25 years.

Interesting....

Mrs. Tradition wants a gray epoxy, textured, with black and white speckles.

For a long term solution surface preparation is the most important step,.. Personally, I wouldn't believe any guarantees that didn't involve removal of the existing layers of stain and paint,... If you don't like the costs you receive might as well just put another layer of paint on it and do it yourself...

Reactions: timinatoria
Unless you do the prep correctly that epoxy won’t last. It should be ground down to remove dirt and traces of suntan oil.

I had a guy put an epoxy floor in my garage about 7 years ago, and he used some sort of grinding machine to get the surface prepared, At that time, I think I paid about $3,500 for a 3 car garage.

One of my sons just did his garage, and the provider told him there is something better now than epoxy, but I don't know what it was.

One of my other sons just bought a 5 year old house where someone obviously tried to put down the Home Depot DIY floor and it looked like sh*t.

Reactions: goldmom
I'm probably going to do a full pool deck and pool renovation in a few months. I have a concrete pool and pool deck. I'm leaning toward tile or pavers for the pool deck and resurfacing the pool. I'd be interested in hearing about what you decide to go with.

I'm probably going to do a full pool deck and pool renovation in a few months. I have a concrete pool and pool deck. I'm leaning toward tile or pavers for the pool deck and resurfacing the pool. I'd be interested in hearing about what you decide to go with.
If you live in any sort of freeze cycle climate I would pour two foot of concrete around the edge as your deck and then finish the rest with pavers (also recommend bull nose finish pool side as it looks and functions way better than the crappy metal/aluminum edging that connects the liner).

I did all stamped concrete on my last pool remodel (40' x 100') around a 20 x 40 pool. Rebarred the shit out of it and still have cracks. Would do pavers if I did it again.

I did all stamped concrete on my last pool remodel (40' x 100') around a 20 x 40 pool. Rebarred the shit out of it and still have cracks.

Concrete flat work in a freeze/thaw condition is going to crack,.. The best you can do is adequately reinforce it and then joint it frequently enough so that it cracks where you want it to crack.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
I had a guy put an epoxy floor in my garage about 7 years ago, and he used some sort of grinding machine to get the surface prepared, At that time, I think I paid about $3,500 for a 3 car garage.

One of my sons just did his garage, and the provider told him there is something better now than epoxy, but I don't know what it was.

One of my other sons just bought a 5 year old house where someone obviously tried to put down the Home Depot DIY floor and it looked like sh*t.
Nohr-S Polyurea

Originally had Cool Deck - textured concrete of some sort. Replaced that with pavers. They aren't hot, don't crack, aren't slippery and never need to be refinished. Just billion year old rock that I think looks better than anything else.

Of course. Joint cut in 3 by 3 foot sections. Disappointed to invest the dollars only to see it Crack so badly. Should have run more tile under it to mitigate the subterranean water coming from the hillside.

Of course. Joint cut in 3 by 3 foot sections. Disappointed to invest the dollars only to see it Crack so badly. Should have run more tile under it to mitigate the subterranean water coming from the hillside.

Clean stone sub-base?...

Guessing I have a subsoil moisture issue. I lowered my pool level a couple years ago to do some maintenence and the liner ended up floating due to water under it.

Guessing I have a subsoil moisture issue. I lowered my pool level a couple years ago to do some maintenence and the liner ended up floating due to water under it.

That would be an indicator,.. Sub-grade moisture is a key problem for most concrete cracking issues. That's why so much work goes into treating the condition. Removal and replacement of expansive soils, clean stone base for improved drainage and the use of drainage tile when necessary,.. I suspect you are right.

Suntan oil? Is it still 1975?

@goldmom circa 1965... :)
s-l400.jpg

Reactions: The Tradition
We are in the process of putting an in ground pool in with liner this spring here in Iowa and going to put in travertine tile around the pool. It will have 6 to 8’ surround with a 2’ x 2’ tile along the edge of the pool that will go on top of the 2’ of concrete that must be installed to secure the pool wall.

We thought about colored and stamped concrete but worried it will crack and have to be replaced, leading to color matching issues in the future. Glad to know people have the same concerns about not going with concrete.

LOL I was a sophomore in high school and my Mom wouldn’t have let me wear a suit like that. I had the long hair with the “flip”.
And no one used Coppertone in Florida-it was baby oil and iodine all the way. That’s why my dermatologist sees me often now 😂
Wood

I'm in the process of getting quotes for pool and pool deck renovation and just had the first vendor out to do an assessment. The guy's ballpark guess was in the $17k-$19k range just for the pool. That's for resurfacing with a quartz aggregate vs straight plaster. I'll be getting at least two more quotes but thought this was on the high side.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT