ADVERTISEMENT

HWC in the American Men's Freestyle Rankings

Todd Conner

HR MVP
Dec 23, 2004

It is great to be an Iowa Wrestling fan.

Go Hawks!

74 kg Kaleb Young – #9
I didn't know Kaleb was competing on the senior circuit. Has he wrestled this year?

Reactions: TarpHawk
1. Hmmm, Young #9, Kennedy #10. Intriguing.

2. Go Chittum.

3. I don't mind Gilman's inclusion. Back in my day we had Penrith wrestling for Sunkist, Rico wrestling for Foxcatcher, etc. Former Hawks are former Hawks, even if, like Gilman, they're too self-absorbed to exhibit grace.

1. Hmmm, Young #9, Kennedy #10. Intriguing.

2. Go Chittum.

3. I don't mind Gilman's inclusion. Back in my day we had Penrith wrestling for Sunkist, Rico wrestling for Foxcatcher, etc. Former Hawks are former Hawks, even if, like Gilman, they're too self-absorbed to exhibit grace.
Ouch. That will sting awhile.

Sorry for the dumb question, but when does Spencer jump in the mix for the next olympics?

Do you know which events he would go thru to qualify for the US? I am confused by the qualifying structure. If there is a good resource to learn from I would be willing to read it.

There are 3 events for a country to qualify the weight:

Top 5(gold, silver, 2 bronze, and winner between the 2 bronze medal losers) at the '23 World Championships

Top 2 at each Continental Championship-Pan-Ams for USA

Top 3 at (last chance)World Qualification tournament

Note any wrestler can qualify the weight for the USA. Spencer wouldn't have to necessarily even attempt to make the team until '24, but there certainly are advantages to making the team this year.

Last edited:
Im going to work backwards on how to make the US team. Process for '24 hasn't been released that I am aware of, so I am doing some assuming here.
If anyone out there knows for sure, please jump in and correct me if I am getting this wrong...

Winner of '24 Final X is the US Olympic representative. Seems pretty straightforward, but... the qualification process changes a bit for Olympic years AND this year's process is different from previous, so here's my best guess.

1st spot at Final X goes to any wrestler that brings home a medal at '23 Worlds at an Olympic weight. 2nd spot goes to the US Open winner. If there is no World medalist at the weight, the 2nd spot goes to the Last Chance qualifier winner. There may be some sort of bonus for World medalists at non-Olympic weights. Previously had a pass to semifinals at Last Chance. Could see something like that at the US Open.

Here's '23 US team trials process for reference:

I forget what they did in 2020(21), but I don’t think there’s Final X for Olympics. I believe they have OTT and that’s the “old” bracket system with someone sitting out. Since it’s for the Olympics I would assume the USOC has the say for the qualifying/selection process. Whereas the World Team is strictly under USAW oversight.

Reactions: jrod65
I forget what they did in 2020(21), but I don’t think there’s Final X for Olympics. I believe they have OTT and that’s the “old” bracket system with someone sitting out. Since it’s for the Olympics I would assume the USOC has the say for the qualifying/selection process. Whereas the World Team is strictly under USAW oversight.

Yep, you are right. Thanks for the correction. Got myself mixed up.

Found the 2020(1) OTT brackets(below). Look to 74kgs for best example. Winner of the Olympic Team Trials was the Olympic rep. Previous year World medal winners at Olympic weights got a pass to the best of 3 finals. Medal winners of non-Olympic weights got a pass to the semis.

There was a Last Chance tourny for those not yet qualified for OTT, but no Final X.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT